george wallington: the prestidigitator

etherbored

One of the rarest albums ever from bop pianist George Wallington; a quintet session recorded for Atlantic's short-lived East/West subsidiary, right around the same time as his better-known group dates for Prestige! The core trio features Wallington alongside Teddy Kotick on bass and Nick Stabulas on drums; and the sharp-edged and imaginative tenor of JR Monterose appears on all tracks but one; a few of which also feature incredible bass trumpet from Jerry Lloyd! The sound is often more modern and inventive than Wallington's other non-trio dates of the 50s; somewhat playful, but also dominated by a deeper sense of soul; heard especially strongly on the Monterose compositions "The Prestidigitator" and "Jouons", as well as the Mose Allison numbers "In Salah", "Promised Land", and "Rural Route"; all slightly unusual choices for Wallington!

• 3 weeks later...

Just received "The Prestidigitator", very nice date,

I dug out what other Wallington I had, I gave an LP on Progressive called George Wallington- Live at Cafe Bohemia a spin , the tracks are described in the liner notes as being unreleased- anyone know if this release is simply out-takes from the Prestige date released under the same title or is it exactly the same material. The track titles are identical except for ordering ( of the CD issue- according to allmusic)

You are talking about the Progressive reissue (copyright date 1985) with record # PRO-7001 and green cover?

According to older discographies (Jepsen's) this session was first released on Preogressive PLP 1001.

The pic below should be this original release.

I understood Prestige 7820 with this date to be a later 60s reissue of that Progressive LP, and the more recent Progressive PRO-7001 to include the same material over again.

I haven't listened to Prestige 7820, but two sets (original Prestige takes and "outtakes") from the same live gig, i.e. the same set played twice during one evening? Don't know.

On the other hand, why would the original releae say "Featuring "The Peck"" when this is only a brief signoff on PRO-7001?

You are talking about the Progressive reissue (copyright date 1985) with record # PRO-7001 and green cover?

According to older discographies (Jepsen's) this session was first released on Preogressive PLP 1001.

The pic below should be this original release.

I understood Prestige 7820 with this date to be a later 60s reissue of that Progressive LP, and the more recent Progressive PRO-7001 to include the same material over again.

I haven't listened to Prestige 7820, but two sets (original Prestige takes and "outtakes") from the same live gig, i.e. the same set played twice during one evening? Don't know.

On the other hand, why would the original releae say "Featuring "The Peck"" when this is only a brief signoff on PRO-7001?

Actually there was a second and different issue of 'George Wallington at the Cafe Bohemia' released in 1985 which had different versions - also recorded at Cafe Bohemia the same evening - with alternate versions of the same tunes.

sm_3167a.jpg

It want OOP very quickly and is as hard to get as the original one!

Edited by brownie