What did you listen to the most in 2006?

GA Russell

June Christy (recent reissues)

Ghost, I'm giving my sister June's Got Rhythm for Christmas. Do you have an opinion of it?

Her most respected album seems to be Something Cool which I got years ago and enjoy. But I chose this one because Something Cool has her in front of an orchestra, while Rhythm has her with a small group.

All of her Capitol albums - at least up to the early 60s - are really solid; but the BEST ones by far are with Pete Rugolo.

Well. . . the Rugolos aren't necessarily my favorites. But I really like "Got Rhythm" . . . swings and is short and sweet and directly to the point.

I love "Something Cool". I've also been enjoying her Christmas record "This Time Of Year"- it seems to fit my "holiday mood" this year....... :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went thru a couple of 6 week periods where King Crimson dominated things. Mostly a mix between '73-4 and post-'81, but some earlier material got played too.

Quite a bit of '30s and earlier jazz got played too. Teagarden, Bix & Tram, Django & Duke & Bechet being the primaries, though thanks to Mr. Lowe's fine Devilin' sets all sorts of other artists from the era got thrown into the mix too. I think I'll have to get the Venuti & Lang Mosaic in '07 as I apparently can't get enough.

Let's see, well, pick a Thelonious, any Thelonious still works.

Otherwise all over the map. Some that got multiple plays include Bootsy Collins era James Brown, Cat Power & Neko Case, The Cellar Door box, Steve Lacy hatOLOGY releases, Bartok, Pavement (brought on by the Wowee Zowie reissue), Fela Kuti, Hank WIlliams Sr. (finally picked up the complete box) and a fuggin' shitload of $3 OJCs, with the West Coast pickups bringing special joy (yo Steve White!)

New discoveries- Porcupine Tree (courtesy of Agg) and Monday Michiru (Sngry).

Most played new music: Saudades

Other than that, I've been listening to the usual suspects. Enjoying the latest Monk, Trane, Bird and Miles discoveries.

A new appreciation/comprehension of Albert Ayler, early Art Ensemble and 70s Miles.

Growth indeed.

As is often the case, looking back over the year I remember a lot of listening to the Mosaic boxes from the previous Christmas. This year it was the Count Basie Verve/Clef & Woody Herman Columbia.

But for me this was the year I finally have enough digitized so that I'm listening mostly to individual songs rather than albums for the first time since I was a kid.

I've really been listening almost exclusively to "Free Jazz" in 2006. My obsession started w/ the acquistion of the Ayler box back in January and just grew through out the year. Fortunately, I've learned a lot from reading the discussions boards here. We have some very knowledgeable folks on this board who pointed me in the right direction w/ their recommendations and insights. Unfortunately, this music has not been "free" in the monetary sense - most of this stuff is OOP and costs a lot of $$$ to track down. I've been trying to grab everything I can that was put out on ESP, BYG, Free America, Hat Hut, etc.

I've also been seeing a lot of musicians perform this year that would fall into this category. Peter Brötzmann/Han Bennink Duo, George Lewis, Evan Parker, Sonny Fortune/Rashied Ali Duo, Henry Threadgill's Zooid, Henry Grimes(2x), Marshall Allen(2x), Cecil Taylor, Dave Burrell/Reggie Workman/Rashied Ali/Muhammad Ali, and a few more I'm blanking on.

Unfortunately, this music has not been "free" in the monetary sense - most of this stuff is OOP and costs a lot of $$$ to track down. I've been trying to grab everything I can that was put out on ESP, BYG, Free America, Hat Hut, etc.

HA! So right man, so right.

Reminds me of that Ornette Coleman Town Hall debacle... it was advertised as [free jazz concert]. Long story short, it was supposed to be read "Free Jazz" Concert. Everyone read "Free" Jazz Concert.

Bear Family box sets: Merle Travis, Blue Sky Boys, Floyd Tillman, Cliff Bruner, Bill Monroe (the first one), Maddox Bros & Rose, Harry Choates (double CD). Plus the Charley Patton monster on Revenant and the Jelly Roll LoC on Rounder, Milton Brown on Texas Rose and The Free Design album 1, 2 and 4.

Edited by kenny weir

I've digitized maybe a 5th of my collection, but ironically I leave the hard drive at home (where I don't have much time to listen to music) and only have random things on my work computer. So I bring in a few things here and there, but mostly listen to what is still on the work computer. This means the only CDs I listened to more than a few times in 2006 are Acoustic Ladyland - Last Chance Disco, Polar Bear - Dim Lit, Paul Motian - I Have the Room Above Her and Garden of Eden, Vijay Iyer - Reimagining, Coltrane - LiveTrane disc 7, Bruce Cockburn - Waiting for a Miracle, Soul Coughing - Best of, Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator, Stanley Turrentine - The Spoiler and the Spamalot soundtrack. Towards the end of the year I went on a bit of a Grant Green/Sonny Clark and Horace Silver kick where I listened to most of their CDs in sequence but only one time through for each.

I did listen to that Grizzly Bear remixes side a lot this year. Something about that music became addictive for me.

J Dilla I listened to a lot as well. A friend showed me the way on that, as well as a few of his friends' records. A renewed appreciation for local hip hop for sure. Listeners ought to hear some NC hh. Superstition was a friend of a friend that I just recently heard for the first time. Solid. And from Greenville, no less.

It's been a year of some fantastic discoveries for me: Coltrane VV and Impulse! box sets, Steve Lacy/Mal Waldron, early Ellington, NYC5/Archie Shepp.

Reptet's Do This! continues to get many spins here... outstanding musicianship, interesting compositions, and a whole lot of fun, too! :tup

Edited by Uncle Skid

If current trends continue, the new Doors box set "Perceptions" will be close to the top of my listening list. I was a big fan of their first and last albums, but a lot of the stuff inbetween seems to have escaped me. Now that their entire studio output has been re-issued, I'm getting into some things I haven't heard much of before. Not only is the music great, but the sound is flat out awesome. Each slipcase has a CD and a DVD. The DVD is in 5.1. When I run this on my surround sound system, I'm hearing things I've never heard before. Ear boggling. The DVD's also include video footage and some alternate takes, studio chatter etc. Talk about stepping into a time machine.

If your a Doors fan and don't have this, get thee to a nunnery.

Up over and out.

Reptet's Do This! continues to get many spins here... outstanding musicianship, interesting compositions, and a whole lot of fun, too! :tup

Oh I knew I forgot something! Yes, Do This and the two Organissimo cds got a lot play here too. Besides the free jazz kick I also listened to a bunch of compilations of 70's funk/jazz from Africa.

This one, that I bought on a board member's recommendation, is killer!

.releasesGhana%20Soundz%20Volume%201Ghana%20Soundz%20Cover_250.jpg

Incredible Jazz Guitar was one of the first jazz CDs I owned. I distinctly remember being home for Christmas break freshman year of college. I picked up my girlfriend in my mom's jeep one afternoon and I was listening to this music. It was all new to me and I couldn't get enough of it. I remember her reaction to it wasn't entirely positive, though she tried... it felt like a turning point in our relationship, even then, and we decided to stop seeing each other within the next year. I think the fact that it was a long-distance relationship attributed to the fact that we stayed together that long. She wouldn't have been able to handle Dolphy, who I also discovered that year.

Now, my wife, then girlfriend, I knew she was the one when I showed up to her apartment with my brand new copy of Point of Departure. We were living in different towns at the time as well. I had never heard it, or Andrew Hill's music before. We made dinner together with this on the stereo. I remember saying to her something like, "I really like this music. I don't know what it is, but this is definitely the direction I have been heading lately." Her reaction was positive.

She's always playing the Bud Powell CDs, which is fine by me.

But that was 1999. We were talking about 2006.

Monk with Coltrane at Carnegie Hall got the most plays.

Me too. Actually Coltrane in general. Most years it would have been Miles but this cd plus the Fearless Leader set got me to replaying things like Africa Brass.

Probably the single most played cd in my house was the soundtrack to "Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man". If you ordered it from iTunes you got an bonus track by Laurie Anderson that's not in the film (or as a bonus on the DVD).