What did you listen to the most in 2006?

GA Russell

We did this last year and received many interesting and varied responses, so let's do it again this year.

What did you listen to the most in 2006?

It doesn't matter when it was issued or when you bought it.

The CDs I listened to the most were:

John Coltrane - Prestige Profiles

Bud Shank - Mosaic box disc 4

To a lesser extent, from the Concord blowout sale:

Duane Tatro - Jazz For Moderns

Teddy Charles - New Directions

The artists I listened to the most were, in order:

John Coltrane

Red Garland

Joey DeFrancesco

Thelonious Monk

Miles Davis

My favorite "new to me" album was the Duane Tatro.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened most to the blues, and while a lot of "new" artists came into the mix, given the way that the collection expanded, number one artist would still have to be B.B. King.

Favorite "new" artist: Lowell Fulson, particularly in terms of purchases, and to a lesser extent, Albert King and Frankie Lee Sims.

I listened to the Rolling Stones more than any other artist this year, although Ray Charles is creeping up there with my recent purchase of the Atlantic box set.

As far as jazz goes, I'd say I listened the most to Andrew Hill's "Time Lines" and the Miles Davis Cellar Door box set. Andrew Hill, Jackie McLean, Miles Davis and John Coltrane got lots of play this year.

Lots of blues and "bluesy acts". Tab Benoit, Jimmie Vaughan, Johnny Winter, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Derek Trucks, Buddy Guy, Allman Brothers Band, Derek Trucks, Tinsley Ellis, Robben Ford are a few that come to mind. Listened to very little jazz, actually.

I primarily listened to jazz (in the broadest sense) or at least jazz-related. Unfortunately, I listened to lots of stuff only once – often with other stimuli competing for my attention - so I don't know how much of it I really absorbed. Sometimes I miss the days when I had about 25 albums and knew them all intimately, but I suppose that’s another topic!

Frank Kimbrough's Play

Dick & Kiz Harp's two albums

Mark Murphy--early & recent recordings

The Mosaic Charles Tolliver

June Christy (recent reissues)

Any and all Duke Ellington (he always makes the list...)

I've noticed in general, though, that I don't tend to play albums/CDs over & over again, the way that I did when I was younger. If I really like something I'll listen to it three, maybe four times.

Edited by ghost of miles

While I have been listening to jazz and classical, I have begun to find the late 60's/early to mid 70's rock scene fascinating. I'm going at it backwards, since a lot of my friends who are also jazz fans began by listening to fusion or jazz rock first. I have been listening to "lesser" known (at least here in the States) prog or hard rock groups like Van der Graaf Generator, Eloy, Egg, If, Buffalo, Leaf Hound, Groundhogs, and Family.

Edited by Stefan Wood

Ghost, I'm giving my sister June's Got Rhythm for Christmas. Do you have an opinion of it?

Her most respected album seems to be Something Cool which I got years ago and enjoy. But I chose this one because Something Cool has her in front of an orchestra, while Rhythm has her with a small group.

I have been listening to "lesser" known (at least here in the States) prog or hard rock groups like Van der Graaf Generator, Eloy, Egg, If, Buffalo, Leaf Hound, Groundhogs, and Family.

Stefan, I recommend that you try either of the two albums by Manfred Mann Chapter Three. They're not for everybody, but I loved them when I was into jazz rock.

If you like Egg, I certainly recommend Hatfield & the North.

You might want to go to the website of Cuneiform Records. I think their retail operation called Wayside Music is still in operation, but maybe not.

I've listened to lots of different types of music this year, but by far latin music has reigned supreme, and at the absolute top of the list is the music of Papo Vazquez. This guy and his band are incredible. Superior jazz chops, great arrangements, and grooves so deep that DJs and other like minded artists would do well to sample them. Not far behind is Jerry Gonzalez and his Fort Apache Bronx Band (Thanks to Mike W. for the suggestion :tup ). Even though he's had a fair amount of success I feel he's still an underappreciated jazz artist, and not just latin jazz, although everything he does is informed by his latin roots. Also listened to a ton of Cal Tjader after some time away from his music in recent years. The Sambalanco Trio, Zimbo Trio, and few other like minded trios also got a large amount of play this year.

Other non latin artists that received lots of play this year included The Meters, Toots and The Maytals, Deep Blue Organ Trio, Gil Evans, Charlie Christian w/Benny Goodman, Mott The Hoople, Philip Catherine, and Stan Getz.

I went on a few kicks this year

Hal McKusick - lots to love but "jazz workshop" is still at the top of the pile, as well as a whole slew of 50's RCA, Coral and Emarcy sides from the likes of Herb Geller, Conte Condoli, Pete Jolly, Al Cohn, Zoot Sims, Bob Cooper...

Ellington - still have not found a bad one

Also went a nessa spree. I really liked "les stances a sophie", Marsh and Von Freeman, but the Ben Webster... Oh, good god I love that record.

Oh yea, I also started digging deeper into Mr. Oliver Nelson.

And last but not least would be the Chicago Underground Duo/Trio on Thrill Jockey. They don't seem to get mentioned much around here, but it works for me.

Ghost, I'm giving my sister June's Got Rhythm for Christmas. Do you have an opinion of it?

Her most respected album seems to be Something Cool which I got years ago and enjoy. But I chose this one because Something Cool has her in front of an orchestra, while Rhythm has her with a small group.

All of her Capitol albums - at least up to the early 60s - are really solid; but the BEST ones by far are with Pete Rugolo.

All of her Capitol albums - at least up to the early 60s - are really solid; but the BEST ones by far are with Pete Rugolo.

Well. . . the Rugolos aren't necessarily my favorites. But I really like "Got Rhythm" . . . swings and is short and sweet and directly to the point.

I've been listening to a lot of music that friends have been recording recently. I tend to listen to music made by people I know over and over much more than music by all the people I don't. In a lot of ways, it has given me a renewed appreciation for music in general.

My brother's band will be recording an album with John McEntire next week. I am very much looking forward to what comes out of that!