The Riverside Label

paul secor

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another aspect of why I enjoyed Cannonball's Sextet with Yusef Lateef so much is the wonderful playing of Joe Zawinul. Damn but Joe was a great blues player.

The strange thing for me though is how very few things I enjoy by him when he was not with Cannonball.

The Riverside session with Ben Webster quickly comes to mind as a situation where I definitely dig Zawinul's playing. I am sure there must be a few more?

When he turned electric my interest turned elsewhere. It was a great disappointment to me that Joe didn't record a few trio sessions with Sam Jones and Louis Hayes while with Cannonball. Had he done so I suspect they would have been fantastic.

Sam Jones "Down Home" on Riverside was a nice session, with larger ensembles, on which I like Zawinul's playing. Cannonball listed as producer but didn't play. Louis Hayes not on drums, surprisingly.

• 3 weeks later...

well, Cannonball had his faults - BUT - listen to:

Know What I Mean - some of the best Cannonbal and Bill Evans - lets you hear the Nat Cole connection to Evans and Cannon plays great -

Quintet Plus - a great session - hotter than a pistol -

those are Riversides -

and if course -

Something Else - which no one besides me seems to have noticed was Miles's warmup for Kind of Blue -

Don't forget Cannonball's children's record on "Wonderland."

AChildsIntroductiontoJazzonWonderla.jpg

Notwithstanding its title , I never considered this a children's record . I think it serves as a good propaedeutic for people of any age . It is not on CD , but an MP3 of it is easily found online . It should not be confused with this Hip Hop mashup CD which occasionally samples Cannonball's LP :

TheNextmenAChildsIntroductiontoJazz.jpg:wacko:

Nor with this other LP with identical title which is more truly a children's record :

A_Child_s_Introduction_to_Jazz_Bob_.jpg

The one introduction to jazz that is on CD is Leonard Bernstein's . Its focus on the technical aspects of the music complements Adderley's more historical/sociological approach :

Leonard_Bernstein_What_is_Jazz_on_C.jpg = B000009CYG.01-A2R2RITDJNW1Q6._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64369330_.jpg

Of course Cannonball Adderley did more for Riverside than this educational LP . It was he who convinced Orrin Keepnews to sign Wes Montgomery and who introduced jazz listeners to new talent through his 'Cannonball Presents' series . While I am not a fan of Adderley's Capitol recordings , I do enjoy much of his Riverside output . Some of my favorite Adderley is on John Benson Brooks Alabama Concerto which is also one of my favorite Riverside sessions .

I add my voice to those who are grateful for the Monk and the Montgomery Riverside recordings , but as a jazz piano fan I am also especially grateful that Keepnews and Grauer gave Randy Weston his first chance to record , and also brought us Bill Evans , Don Friedman , Joyce Collins , Evans Bradshaw , Chris Anderson and Roosevelt Wardell .

Also on Riverside is one of my favorite Lee Morgan dates , Take Twelve , and one of my favorite vocal records , Teri Thornton's Devil May Care .

Edited by Chas