Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8024709111326.jpg

Listening to the first CD, the drumming on the first track of Il Giro is a lot of fun to listen, great album purists will probably hate it.

loved that first album from the box! not quite as convinced of the rest of the box, but that one is really fun...

8024709111326.jpg

Listening to the first CD, the drumming on the first track of Il Giro is a lot of fun to listen, great album purists will probably hate it.

loved that first album from the box! not quite as convinced of the rest of the box, but that one is really fun...

Just playing that first one... fun indeed! Will report elsewhere how I'll like the rest...

Now Disc 3... the String Band Session... :cool: :cool:

Wow I guess we're all on the same wave length... Just broke this open also.. and I am enjoying it... :excited:

8024709111326.jpg

Just playing that first one... fun indeed! Will report elsewhere how I'll like the rest...

Edited by tranemonk

Yes, I played the first four discs in a row! Then time ran out... very good! Not so sure about the second and fourth, but the first one with its funky beats and guitar was great, and I liked String Band a lot, too! The second was at the same time a tougher "jazz" date as it was also a venture into more hymnic, post-Milesian, ECM-expressionist territory, which kind of went on with "Secrets". Not that I disliked either of these, not at all, just found them a bit less fun, so to say. The first few tunes I heard of "Electric Five" sounded like a motherload of fun though, looking forward to play it in full tomorrow!

I think my top Rava still remains "Quartet" on ECM, with Roswell Rudd, JF Jenny Clark and Aldo Romano!

Mine too. Don't know if it has been "silvered" as they used to say.

Yes it has! That's how I've owned it for many years!

Seems it's only available as a download (or rather pricey used disc) now, though.

http://www.ecmrecords.com/Catalogue/ECM/1100/1122.php?cat=%2FArtists%2FRava+Enrico%23%23Enrico+Rava&we_start=0&lvredir=712

http://www.amazon.com/Enrico-Rava-Quartet/dp/B000024I7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1272155709&sr=1-1

Played the entire Haden Black Saint/Soul Note box this afternoon.

As expected, the O&ND albums were fine (I've heard the first one before but never owned it), the album with Allen had lots of great bass playing, not bad, the one with Chet I'll have to revisit... and the final one, same trio minus Chet (Pieranunzi-Haden-Higgins) sounded very good again. Will revisit that one soon, too!

Now into the second album of the Pieranunzi set (sort of logical to listen now, as Pieranunzi was on the final two Haden discs). Some good hardbop on the first, I thought the few spots by Massimo Urbani outshone most of the rest though, Farmer didn't sound that great here (hey, he's always good, he was a pro! But didn't sound "on" to me here).

Going through the Pieranunzi, actually enjoyed the first cd with Farmer, giving currently a spin to the following one with Johnson and Baron.

Finishing the set with the one titled Ma l'amore no, not a big fan of singers but this one is quite pleasant to listen, the sidemen are top class with Konitz and Rava as horn men.

Edited by Van Basten II