Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/22/2024 at 8:06 AM, soulpope said:

Excellent body of music 👌👍 ....

But what's that with "So Much Doldinger" being claimed to be an "original" album??

Any way you look at it (and compare liner notes and discographical entries), "So Much Doldinger" (a release for the German Record Club DSC) ORIGINALLY was a compilation of "Jazz Made in Germany" (released as "Dig Doldinger" in the USA) and of "Live at Blue Note Berlin" and is made up of half of each of these LPs.
So what they did here was to usurp the title of that compilation LP and package assorted individual tracks onto that extra CD. Certainly nice fillers but no "original" ALBUM, this ...??
I wonder what made them shy away from marketing this as "4 Original Albums plus Bonus tracks" or similar? :blink: Have EPs or individual tracks become unmarketable to today's sales whiz kids? :D
If one of these P.D. labels had done that one of their sets they would have been torn to shreds for misrepresentation by the usual suspects ... 😁

1 minute ago, Big Beat Steve said:

But what's that with "So Much Doldinger" being claimed to be an "original" album??

Any way you look at it (and compare liner notes and discographical entries), "So Much Doldinger" (a release for the German Record Club DSC) ORIGINALLY was a compilation of "Jazz Made in Germany" (released as "Dig Doldinger" in the USA) and of "Live at Blue Note Berlin" and is made up of half of each of these LPs.
So what they did here was to usurp the title of that compilation LP and package assorted individual tracks onto that extra CD. Certainly nice fillers but no "original" ALBUM, this ...??
I wonder what made them shy away from marketing this as "4 Original Albums plus Bonus tracks" or similar? :blink: Have EPs or individual tracks become unmarketable to today's sales whiz kids? :D
If one of these P.D. labels had done that one of their sets they would have been torn to shreds for misrepresentation by the usual suspects ... 😁

I'm afraid both insights or special care for facts/details amiss and result in products like this one 🤔 ....

On 4/29/2024 at 9:43 PM, T.D. said:

Hadn't listened to Ra in a while, so 4 discs from Art Yard in a Box:

NC01OTg5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Sleeping Beauty (this is one of my favorite Ra albums), Disco 3000, The Antique Blacks, On Jupiter

Nice. On Jupiter is a great album too 

14 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Nice. On Jupiter is a great album too 

Agreed. :tup I played it a day or so after posting and was struck by how good it was. For some reason I hadn't listened to On Jupiter as often as a few other albums in the box.