Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/27/2023 at 7:29 AM, AllenLowe said:

Rich is best listened to in a small group setting, where he seems to have been able to channel his inner Dave Tough and play brilliantly. To my ears, after he became a star and started leading that later big band his work always sounds like "hey look at me."

I absolutely agree that he made himself front and center with the big bands--he was never stricken with a sense of false modesty--but I can forgive it because he drove those bands so relentlessly. That drive is what makes the Pacific Jazz sessions of the sixties so compelling for me.

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That's such a good collection, shame about the label, to the best of my knowledge very grey market. I'd love to be corrected

Yes, I'm attracted to all their German festival collections, but this is the only one I bought, before hearing about the label's dodginess. I also own a few single CDs from the label. Very strangely, they feature attractive packaging which is generally not characteristic of boot/pirate outfits.

I have seen a claim to the effect that the collections trace back to the family who legitimately own the master tapes, but I'm not sure how credible that is.

• 2 weeks later...

cover.jpg.30c3690000c4a0029e99ec8480b6802f.jpg

I bought the hi res files for the first volume from Qobuz as a trial of this release/format. The 43 files came to about 1 GB. Large files! Listening to this with LDAP on headphones I'm pretty impressed with the sound.  Very detailed.  When I compare to a cheapo mp3 version I had it's quite startling how much better and more listenable this is. It is also quite a bit better than streaming from Spotify.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

On 7/30/2023 at 5:15 PM, mikeweil said:

My03OTM0LmpwZWc.jpeg

On 7/31/2023 at 12:36 AM, Jim Duckworth said:

I find myself returning to this set frequently.  

What's the concept? Is it lesser known African American early jazz groups? Or is it more chronological?

I used to love those box sets for early blues and roots etc. They were a huge deal for learning about that stuff, even if I tended to stick what I liked on a comp.

But in those CD buying days I was not listening to early jazz at all. I missed out. I see it is streamable.

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

What's the concept? Is it lesser known African American early jazz groups? Or is it more chronological?

I used to love those box sets for early blues and roots etc. They were a huge deal for learning about that stuff, even if I tended to stick what I liked on a comp.

But in those CD buying days I was not listening to early jazz at all. I missed out. I see it is streamable.

Some amazing sessions in there like the Jones-Collins or Sam Morgan

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

The concept would seem to be, first, all of the 20s and early 30s recordings of New Orleans black jazz bands done in the city of New Orleans + early recordings by black New Orleans musicians and bands done elsewhere that avoid the most recorded/reissued artists like Morton, Oliver, and Armstrong.  

Edited by John L

3 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I have all but 4 titles (Louis Dumaine's Jazzola Eight) on other collections. Great stuff.

I picked up this JSP box after you wrote about one of the sessions as a favourite sextet or septet recordings. Thanks again for the recommendation. 😊

• 2 weeks later...