Zoot Sims

Simon Weil

There's some grand stuff in this thread. Thanks Guys! At the moment I'm leaning towards Zoot/Zoot!, Warm Tenor and maybe the Michel Legrand album. I have the Lady Day from a preceding obsession with Jimmy Rowles. Also I think I might have something from the Quincy Jones on a compilation.

Anyway, I feel a buying splurge coming on.

Simon Weil

[According to the Oxford Companion to Jazz, Zoot's dates are 1825-1985!]

Edited by Simon Weil

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The March 16, 1956 session is this one I mentioned above:

Zoot Sims with Henri Renaud/Jon Eardley (Swing, originally on Ducretet-Thomson)

It was in that LP reissue series on the Swing label a couple of years back.

The session recorded the day before (March 15, 1956) was not only on that CfD record club label but also on a German "Deutscher Schallplattenclub" 10-incher. So it might even have been on a corresponding Swiss ExLibris issue and you might perhaps find it at a fleamarket somewhere if you want an original by all means ... ;)

Ok, I'll put the March 16 one on my virtual/mental list... should turn up cheap some day. No flea markets for me... the only ExLibris LP I know of is an Oscar Peterson collection from my parents... bad annotation (no line-ups given), but looks like quite solid vinyl. The one great ExLibris thing I have is a reprint/Lizenzausgabe of one of the few good Goethe editions, 20 tomes, I think :)

The March 15 and the March 16, 1956 sessions were reunited on vol. 22 of the Vogue/EMI series. The CD came under the title 'Zoot Sims in Paris' in 1990. Might be hard to find (but much less than those 10-inchers!).

The March 16 session was released in the EMI 'Americans Swinging in Paris' not too long ago!

783.jpg

Pity then the Americans Swinging in Paris wasn't a twofer... but I'll look for it anyway.

Right now playing this one:

B00008ZZ5O.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115825004_.jpg

A 32jazz release that is now out on Savoy (now being... ahem, 2003 - I'm lagging behind, obviously).

The crappy jazzdisco I used for the Paris dates above (it doesn't show on their start page, but there's still a Zoot disco... I assume it's not a complete one?) gives mid 80s and an unknown Philly club, while the disc gives nothing (unless in the liners maybe, but this is the first spin I give it, and I haven't read any liners yet).

There's also a Zoot & Al Leftbank one that was out on Label M (short-lived 32jazz successor), as well as another one by the two on 32jazz - I have a botched version of that, one of those originally in those ugly black plactic boxes, mine was used and obviously the black thing was destroyed and I got it in a jewel case with a flimsy copy of the outside sticker of the plastic box being used as traycard. Anyway, it's called "Body & Soul" and has the trio of Jaki Byard, George Duvivier and Mel Lewis backing the two tenors, thus it can't be bad, can it?

Zoot Sims in Paris (UA) is a longtime favorite.

Is that the Vogue one with a quartet date from 1950 and a sextet w/Rosolino from 1953, or the later one that was reissued as part of EMI's "Americans Swinging in Paris" series? The former I have and it's good, the later I still need to get...

Zoot Sims Quartet

Zoot Sims (ts) Gerry Wiggins (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Kenny Clarke (d)

Paris, France, June 16, 1950

V4021-1 | D422 | D428 Night and Day Discovery 148, DL 3015; Prestige PR 7817

V4021-2 - Prestige PR 7817

V4021-3 - unissued

V4022-1 | D424 | D430 Slinglin' Hash Discovery 148, DL 3015; Prestige PR 7817

V4022-2 - Prestige PR 7817

V4023-1 | D427 | D433 Tenorly Discovery 149, DL 3015; Prestige PR 7817

V4023-2 - unissued

V4024-1 | D423 | D429 I Understand Discovery 149, DL 3015; Prestige PR 7817

V4024-2 - unissued

V4025 | D425 | D431 Don't Worry 'Bout Me Discovery 150, DL 3015; Prestige PR 7817

V4026 | D426 | D432 Crystals -

V4027 Zoot and Zoot unissued

* Zoot Sims Quartet Recorded in France (Discovery DL 3015)

* Zoot Sims - First Recordings! (Prestige PR 7817)

* Zoot Sims - Night and Day c/w Slinglin' Hash (Discovery 148, 45-148)

* Zoot Sims - Tenorly c/w I Understand (Discovery 149, 45-149)

* Zoot Sims - Don't Worry 'Bout Me c/w Crystals (Discovery 150, 45-150)

Zoot Sims Sextet

Frank Rosolino (tb) Zoot Sims (ts) Henri Renaud (p) Jimmy Gourley (g) Don Bagley (b) Jean-Louis Viale (d)

Paris, France, September 18 or November 18, 1953

Toot's Suite Vogue (F) LD 170

The Late Tiny Kahn -

Call It Anything -

tk.2 Zoot's Suite -

Once in a While -

tk.3 Great Drums -

* Zoot Sims Goes to Town (Vogue (F) LD 170)

Zoot Sims - Henri Renaud Quintet

Jon Eardley (tp) Zoot Sims (ts) Henri Renaud (p) Eddie de Haas (b) Charles Saudrais (d)

Paris, France, March 15, 1956

Charlie Went to Cherbourg Le Club Francais du Disque (F) HF 95

Crazy Rhythm -

I've Found a New Baby -

Charlie Was in Rouen -

* Zoot Sims/Henri Renaud - Night Session in Paris (Le Club Francais du Disque (F) HF 95)

Zoot Sims - Henri Renaud Quintet

Jon Eardley (tp -1/3,5/7) Zoot Sims (ts) Henri Renaud (p) Benoit Quersin (b) Charles Saudrais (d)

Paris, France, March 16, 1956

1. Captain Jetter Ducretet-Thomson (F) 250V023

2. Nuzzolese Blues -

3. Everything I Love -

4. Evening in Paris -

5. On the Alamo -

6. My Old Flame -

7. Little Jon Special -

* Zoot Sims in Paris (Ducretet-Thomson (F) 250V023)

Zoot Sims - Pierre Michelot Quartet

Zoot Sims (ts) Martial Solal (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Kenny Clarke (d)

Paris, France, March, 1956

It Had to Be You I Giganti del Jazz (It) 8; Europa Jazz (It) EJ 1007

* Chet Baker - Gerry Mulligan - Bud Powell - Clark Terry (I Giganti del Jazz (It) 8)

* Bud Powell - Europa Jazz (Europa Jazz (It) EJ 1007)

The Three Bosses with Zoot Sims

Zoot Sims (ts) Bud Powell (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Kenny Clarke (d)

"Blue Note Cafe", Paris, France, January, 1961

Groovin' High Mythic Sound MS 6005-1

Taking a Chance on Love -

Blue Bud Blues / 52nd Street Theme -

* Earl Bud Powell, Vol. 5 - Groovin' at the Blue Note, 59-61 (Mythic Sound MS 6005-1, MS 6005-2)

Zoot Sims - Henri Renaud Quartet

Zoot Sims (ts) Henri Renaud (p) Bob Whitlock (b) Jean-Louis Viale (d)

"Blue Note", Paris, France, December, 1961

Zoot's Blues United Artists UAL 4013

Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most -

Once in a While -

These Foolish Things -

On the Alamo -

Too Close for Comfort -

A Flat Blues -

You Go to My Head -

Stompin' at the Savoy (Savoy) -

* Zoot Sims in Paris (United Artists UAL 4013, UAS 5013)

Ok, I see now it's likely the very last one - has that been on CD? Or is that the "Americans Swinging in Paris"? Nope, that one's the March 16, 1956 date - has this last one from 1961 been on CD?

Flurin - the one I was referring to was the last (1961) date. Haven't heard the others you listed, but they look interesting.

Blue Bud Blues / 52nd Street Theme -

Flurin - the one I was referring to was the last (1961) date. Haven't heard the others you listed, but they look interesting.

June 16, 1950 & September 18 or November 18, 1953 are on:

B000008A0W.03._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1133711957_.jpg

March 15, 1956, I just realized, is on:

B000051TKK.03._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1133521404_.jpg

so no flea market searching necessary, since I have the JiPs!

March 16, 1956 is on:

B000065BSD.03._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1133514369_.jpg

from the Bud Powell date, "Groovin High" is on:

B00009YXKA.01._AA130_SCMZZZZZZZ_V1058292334_.jpg

and "Taking a Chance on Love" in on:

B000068PZB.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116317920_.jpg

The fact that the third Bud/Three Bosses/Zoot cut is not on any of the three Fantasy/Pablo Powell discs makes me hope there's more coming, but with Concord now, who knows?

But no trace of the 1961 on a CD, or is there a reissue?

Edited by king ubu

Brownie, the photographer is HERMAN LEONARD.

This pic is on page 156 of the "L'Oeil du Jazz" book on Leonard's jazz photographs published by Filipacchi in 1985 (which I figure you are bound to have somehwere ;) ).

@king ubu:

About that March 15, 1956 session once more: Good to see it's so easily available as a reissue. Back in 2002 I was rather surprised to see a VG- copy (!!) of the CfD 10inch release sold for a whopping $512.00 on eBay. (A case for the eBay madness thread here...) This made me cherish my German original 10in release (in NM condition) all the more, though I would not have parted with it anyway ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Brownie, the photographer is HERMAN LEONARD.

This pic is on page 156 of the "L'Oeil du Jazz" book on Leonard's jazz photographs published by Filipacchi in 1985 (which I figure you are bound to have somehwere ;) ).

Yes, should have recognized Leonard's talent. Great book that 'L'Oeil du Jazz'!

g12660jl30e.jpg

That one's a blast! I have it filed with my Körössy albums, so I didn't think of it when this thread was started. Anything by/with Körössy is worth having, and if it also has Zoot, all the better! Dig Ianci on "Jitterbug Waltz"!

And look out for his MPS album "Identification" in any form you might be able to find it, it's terrific!

You're not kidding about "Jitterbug Waltz"! And doing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" as a samba/rumba/something? Outrageous! :excited:

I don't share Larry Kart's view and am more in agreement with Stereojack.

I do like Zoot's recordings from his early days through his final period. His early recordings swing beautifully, and are terrific. But it's his Pablo years where the maturity and musical depth comes though far more strongly in my opinion.

However, the great thing is that we can have it all!!!!!!

Guest youmustbe

I don't know how many on this board ever went to the original Half Note on Hudson Street in NYC.

The bandstand, as you might know from the photos, such as Trane at Half Note, was on one side, on top of the bar. One night Zoot, had this game with Sonny Canterino, one of the owners, who was also the bartender. When Zoot wasn't soloing, he would stand above Sonny, who would throw up underhanded, shots of booze up to Zoot on the stand...Zoot would catch them without spilling a drop.

i may get rotten vegetables hurled my way, but being of the mind that there's no such thing as a bad zoot sims date, i like 'waiting game' on impulse!

-e-

waitinggame.JPG

Was this one ever on CD in recent years? I could have picked up an original LP of it (don't remember if mono or stereo) but it was too expensive... I didn't even play it to make sure I wouldn't buy it (35$ or so).

I once had the Zoot Sims "Waiting Game" LP on Impulse. I thought it was the least interesting album by Zoot I ever heard. I disposed of it.

Least interesting? I don't know. If you have an aversion to strings, then you may want to skip this one. Personally, I like it. Zoot's in a mellow mood, for sure, but he plays beautifully, as always.

I don't know how many on this board ever went to the original Half Note on Hudson Street in NYC.

The bandstand, as you might know from the photos, such as Trane at Half Note, was on one side, on top of the bar. One night Zoot, had this game with Sonny Canterino, one of the owners, who was also the bartender. When Zoot wasn't soloing, he would stand above Sonny, who would throw up underhanded, shots of booze up to Zoot on the stand...Zoot would catch them without spilling a drop.

How terribly undignified. :g:g:g