Zoot Sims

Simon Weil

Hi guys,

I've just discovered this forum, and especially this topic about Zoot Sims, my all time favourite saxophone player.

May I bring to your attention details about a famous Zoot live recording ?

Zoot Sims with the Kenny Drew trio , Live in Copenhagen, August 24, 1978, as there are 3 different CD's from this concert, each of them showing a different track listing, and featuring songs that are not included in the two other ones (these songs are underlined)

Zoot Sims Live in Copenhagen (MFSL Original master recording UDCD 694)

1 / Too close for comfort

2 / I wonder where our love has gone

3 / In a mellow tone

4 / I got it bad and that ain't good

5 / Caravan

6 / Softly as in the morning sunrise

7 / All the things you are

8 / I'll remember april

9 / Morning fun

10 / In the middle of a kiss

11 / It's all right with me

Zoot Sims in Copenhagen (Storyville STCD 8244)

1 / Groovin' high

2 / Too close for comfort

3 / All the things you are

4 / In a middle of a kiss

5 / I'll remember april

6 / It's all right with me

7 / The very thought of you

8 / Blue hodge

9 / Morning fun

Zoot Sims & Kenny Drew trio Live in Denmark (Century Vantage CECC00100, import frm Japan)

1 / Flower waltz

2 / Groovin' high

3 / Come rain or come shine

4 / Fred (mispelled "Fled")

5 / I wonder where our love has gone

6 / In a mellow tone

7 / I got it bad and that ain't good

8 / Caravan

(This one shows a wrong date : August 4, 1978)

I'll tell you later about the two different CD editions of the Art Pepper / Zoot Sims concert (different trak listing).

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any opinions on East Coast Sounds (OJC)? Apologies if it's been mentioned and I missed it.

Very much like this album which I bought recently. Interesting format of piano-less septet under the leadership of bassist Trigger Alpert (whatever happened to him?) and all-star front line of Al, Zoot, Tony Scott, Joe Wilder and Urbie Green. The reeds double on baritone, alto and tenor, respectively. Interesting arrangements by Dick Hyman, Marty Paich and Tony Scott.

Hi guys,

I've just discovered this forum, and especially this topic about Zoot Sims, my all time favourite saxophone player.

May I bring to your attention details about a famous Zoot live recording ?

Zoot Sims with the Kenny Drew trio , Live in Copenhagen, August 24, 1978, as there are 3 different CD's from this concert, each of them showing a different track listing, and featuring songs that are not included in the two other ones (these songs are underlined)

Zoot Sims Live in Copenhagen (MFSL Original master recording UDCD 694)

1 / Too close for comfort

2 / I wonder where our love has gone

3 / In a mellow tone

4 / I got it bad and that ain't good

5 / Caravan

6 / Softly as in the morning sunrise

7 / All the things you are

8 / I'll remember april

9 / Morning fun

10 / In the middle of a kiss

11 / It's all right with me

Zoot Sims in Copenhagen (Storyville STCD 8244)

1 / Groovin' high

2 / Too close for comfort

3 / All the things you are

4 / In a middle of a kiss

5 / I'll remember april

6 / It's all right with me

7 / The very thought of you

8 / Blue hodge

9 / Morning fun

Zoot Sims & Kenny Drew trio Live in Denmark (Century Vantage CECC00100, import frm Japan)

1 / Flower waltz

2 / Groovin' high

3 / Come rain or come shine

4 / Fred (mispelled "Fled")

5 / I wonder where our love has gone

6 / In a mellow tone

7 / I got it bad and that ain't good

8 / Caravan

(This one shows a wrong date : August 4, 1978)

I'll tell you later about the two different CD editions of the Art Pepper / Zoot Sims concert (different trak listing).

Gambit seems to have released a "complete" version of these recordings on this 2 disc set.

51q38R73i6L._SS500_.jpg

This release includes all of Zoot Sims´ live recordings of 17 tracks recorded in Denmark during august 1978. These quartet performances feature the pianist´ regular trio with Danish bass phenomenon NHOP and drummers Alex Riel or Ed Thigpen. The current 2-CD set marks the first time that all of these difficult to find Danish recordings are presented on one sole edition.

CD1

1. FLOWER WALTZ

2. COME RAIN OR COME SHINE

3. FRED

4. GROOVIN´HIGH

5. I WONDER WHERE OUR LOVE HAS GONE

6. IN A MELLOW TONE

7. I GOT IT BAD ( AND THAT AIN´T GOOD)

8. CARAVAN

9. ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE

TOTAL TIME: 61:20

CD 2

1. TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT

2. IN THE MIDDLE OF A KISS

3. I´LL REMENBER APRIL

4. IT´S ALL RIGHT WITH ME

5. THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU

6. BLUE HODGE

7. MORNING FUN

8. SOFTLY AS A MORNING SUNRISE

TOTAL TIME: 60:44

See 12-page booklet for complete information

jazzmessengers.com info.

I have it, and whatever you think about the Label, it's excellent.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...

FWIW, I'm reviving this thread to say I'm looking at adding even more Zoot to the collection. I own most of the Pablo's which are great, IMO. I own a few of his earlier sessions, but many more holes to fill. This thread is a great example of what a valuable resource this place is. All I can say is THANK YOU!

Edited by Tom 1960

One that hasn't been mentioned so far, I think: John Benson Brooks' "Folk Jazz U.S.A.," with Zoot playing beautifully on alto (listen to him on "Turtle Dove"), Al Cohn on baritone, and Nick Travis on trumpet. It's coupled here with Brooks' excellent "Alabama Concerto," with Art Farmer and Cannonball Adderley.

c4670.jpg

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Did the guy ever not swing?

Yes, he always did swing, and in 1962 (as above), he could still be in his wheelhouse.  But in the period that I think of as vintage for Zoot, he paid darn close attention to the evolving shape of his lines (as below), which IMO was not that much the case in later years, when those shapes pretty much became semi-pre-determined "Zoot-isms," attractive to be sure but not alive the way he is here:

More Zoot of the vintage(s)  I love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMyoLoXwZvk

(all  below from the ’56 Argo album “Zoot,” with John Williams [not the movie guy], Nabil Totah, and Gus Johnson). The "freshness" (for want of a better term) of Zoot at this time is a joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih_Rr8-x_NY&list=PL4ypuAMic-Gj2hcIlK1oWCQzz3wkLfu8T&index=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fRSiQY8TZM&list=PL4ypuAMic-Gj2hcIlK1oWCQzz3wkLfu8T&index=6

(on alto) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djeNFZb7yTY&list=PL4ypuAMic-Gj2hcIlK1oWCQzz3wkLfu8T&index=5

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I noticed I have too little of Zoot Sims and my collections and wanted to ask for recommendarions, but all I need to know is to be found here. Just ordered the Gershwin Brothers SACD, more to follow.

Some kind soul had sent me a copy of the expanded CD version of the Bethlehem album - it swings, and George Tucker sounds terrific on that session.

Mi00MDI5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Collect all of Zoot's collaborations with Al Cohn.

Here's a list of the CDs I have with him as the primary artist:

Zoot Sims          Down Home                                                             Bethlehem 20 40072
Zoot Sims          The Rare Dawn Sessions                                                     Biograph 131
Zoot Sims/Bob Brookmeyer     Tonite's Music Today                          Black Lion 760907
Zoot Sims/Bob Brookmeyer  Morning Fun                                          Black Lion 760914
Zoot Sims          Recado Bossa Nova                                          Ubatuqui/Blue Moon 308
Zoot Sims      The Complete 1944-1954 Small Group Sessions Vol. 3 1952-53
                                            Blue Moon 1040
Zoot Sims/Al Cohn/Phil Woods     Jazz Alive/A Night At The Half Note
                                                                                                                Blue Note 4 94105
Zoot Sims          Getting Sentimental                                                           Candid 71006
Zoot Sims Quartet     That Old Feeling                                                    Chess 807
Zoot Sims         Goes To Jazzville With                                            Dawn/Bluemoon 103
Zoot Sims          In a Mellowtone                                                 Live at EJ's 103.604
Zoot Sims/Al Cohn     Either Way                                                Evidence 22007 
Zoot Sims    Plays Altos, Tenor and Baritone                                         Fresh Sound 434
Zoot Sims          Plays Tenor & 4 Altos                          Fresh Sound 447
Zoot Sims/Al Cohn   Zoot Case                                                      Gazell 1021
Zoot Sims/Scott Hamilton       It Had to Be You                            Gemini 101
Zoot Sims         Zoot Suite                                                           HighNote 7170
Zoot Sims         Lost Tapes Baden-Baden - June 23, 1958                     Jazzhaus 101710
Sims & Cohn/Shavers & Green                                                            Jass 5
Zoot Sims         Compatability                                            Jump 12-36
Zoot Sims         Only A Rose                                                          Koch 6916
Sims, Zoot       In Paris                                                     Disques Vogue 68207 
Sims, Zoot       Somebody Loves Me                                                                LRC 8514
Zoot Sims        Live in Japan 1977 Vol. 1                                    Marshmallow Export 125
Zoot Sims        Live in Japan 1977 Vol. 2                                    Marshmallow Export 134
Zoot Sims        Live in Yamagata Vol. 1                            Marshmallow Export 143           
Zoot Sims        Live in Yamagata Vol. 2                            Marshmallow Export 150 
Zoot Sims & Kenny Drew Trio  In Copenhagen                                 Mobile Fidelity 694
Zoot Sims Quartet         Zoot at Ease                                                   Mobile Fidelity 842
Zoot Sims       Live at the Half Note                                                              Naked City 11
Zoot Sims       Love For Sale                                                   Nagel-Heyer 102
Zoot Sims Quintet      Zoot!                                                              OJC 228
Zoot Sims       Quartets                                                                         OJC 242
Zoot Sims       And the Gershwin Brothers                                             OJC 444 
Zoots Sims/Harry Sweets Edison   Just Friends                                   OJC 499
Zoot Sims & Joe Pass     Blues For Two                                                 OJC 635 
Zoot Sims/Jimmy Rowles   If I'm Lucky                                                               OJC 683
Zoot Sims       Suddenly It's Spring                                                             OJC 742
Zoot Sims       Plays Johnny Mandel  Quietly There                                 OJC 787
Zoot Sims       Hawthorne Nights                                                           OJC 830
Zoot Sims       The Swinger                                                           OJC 855
Zoot Sims Four       The Innocent Years                                                              OJC 860
Zoot Sims       Soprano Sax                                                                                   OJC 902
Zoot Sims       I Wish I Were Twins                                                                      OJC 976
Zoot Sims/Al Cohn/Tony Scott    East Coast Sounds                                          OJC 1012
Zoot Sims/Jimmy Rowles   Warm Tenor                                                     Pablo 2310 831
Zoot Sims       For Lady Day                                                                       Pablo 2310 942 
Zoot Sims       On The Korner                                                                     Pablo 2310 953 
Zoot Sims/Eddie Lockjaw Davis  The Tenor Giants Featuring Oscar Peterson
                                                                                      Pablo 2310969$
Zoot Sims + the Joe Castro Trio   Live at Falcon Lair                                  Pablo 2310977
Zoot Sims       Lover Man - On the West Coast 1954           Sinatra Society of Japan 1067
Zoot Sims/Bucky Pizzarelli   Elegaic                                                           Storyville 8238
Zoot Sims       Live In Philly                                                                       32 Jazz 32056
Zoot Sims & Kenny Drew Trio   Flower Walts                                              Venus 79036

Other than the Naked City CD, a crappy bootleg, most of the rest are worth acquiring.

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

... but all I need to know is to be found here. Just ordered the Gershwin Brothers SACD, more to follow.

You're going to love it! (I don't have the SACD though; just the regular OJC.) Sublime music. Everybody collects in different ways, but I'd recommend, with Zoot, starting with the Pablos and working backward. The early work is good, but the Pablos have so much nuance to them. 

Oh, and (if you don't have it already) look for Zoot's Argo date, titled ... Zoot! That one is special. I also love the two ABC/Paramount records with overdubs, but I might be in the minority there.

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Today I noticed I have too little of Zoot Sims and my collections and wanted to ask for recommendarions, but all I need to know is to be found here. Just ordered the Gershwin Brothers SACD, more to follow.

Some kind soul had sent me a copy of the expanded CD version of the Bethlehem album - it swings, and George Tucker sounds terrific on that session.

Mi00MDI5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Zoot Sims Quartet (Argo) 1957 -- Maybe my favorite album of his, with John Williams and Gus Johnson, both whom add a good deal. Also in this incarnation --Zoot Sims Quartet That Old Feeling  (Chess 807)

6 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Zoot Sims Quartet (Argo) 1957 -- Maybe my favorite album of his, with John Williams and Gus Johnson, both whom add a good deal. Also in this incarnation --Zoot Sims Quartet That Old Feeling  (Chess 807)

Trying to locate this. Is it the same as Zoot on Argo, mentioned above?

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Trying to locate this. Is it the same as Zoot on Argo, mentioned above?

Zoot on Argo and Zoot on Chess are much the same album. Argo was its LP configuration; it was Chess on CD with added tracks from one of Zoot's ABC-Paramount albums. The Argo album was recorded in 1956, not '57 as I erroneously said above; the bassist was Knobby Totah.

19 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Collect all of Zoot's collaborations with Al Cohn.

Here's a list of the CDs I have with him as the primary artist:

Zoot Sims          Down Home                                                             Bethlehem 20 40072
Zoot Sims          The Rare Dawn Sessions                                                     Biograph 131
Zoot Sims/Bob Brookmeyer     Tonite's Music Today                          Black Lion 760907
Zoot Sims/Bob Brookmeyer  Morning Fun                                          Black Lion 760914
Zoot Sims          Recado Bossa Nova                                          Ubatuqui/Blue Moon 308
Zoot Sims      The Complete 1944-1954 Small Group Sessions Vol. 3 1952-53
                                            Blue Moon 1040
Zoot Sims/Al Cohn/Phil Woods     Jazz Alive/A Night At The Half Note
                                                                                                                Blue Note 4 94105
Zoot Sims          Getting Sentimental                                                           Candid 71006
Zoot Sims Quartet     That Old Feeling                                                    Chess 807
Zoot Sims         Goes To Jazzville With                                            Dawn/Bluemoon 103
Zoot Sims          In a Mellowtone                                                 Live at EJ's 103.604
Zoot Sims/Al Cohn     Either Way                                                Evidence 22007 
Zoot Sims    Plays Altos, Tenor and Baritone                                         Fresh Sound 434
Zoot Sims          Plays Tenor & 4 Altos                          Fresh Sound 447
Zoot Sims/Al Cohn   Zoot Case                                                      Gazell 1021
Zoot Sims/Scott Hamilton       It Had to Be You                            Gemini 101
Zoot Sims         Zoot Suite                                                           HighNote 7170
Zoot Sims         Lost Tapes Baden-Baden - June 23, 1958                     Jazzhaus 101710
Sims & Cohn/Shavers & Green                                                            Jass 5
Zoot Sims         Compatability                                            Jump 12-36
Zoot Sims         Only A Rose                                                          Koch 6916
Sims, Zoot       In Paris                                                     Disques Vogue 68207 
Sims, Zoot       Somebody Loves Me                                                                LRC 8514
Zoot Sims        Live in Japan 1977 Vol. 1                                    Marshmallow Export 125
Zoot Sims        Live in Japan 1977 Vol. 2                                    Marshmallow Export 134
Zoot Sims        Live in Yamagata Vol. 1                            Marshmallow Export 143           
Zoot Sims        Live in Yamagata Vol. 2                            Marshmallow Export 150 
Zoot Sims & Kenny Drew Trio  In Copenhagen                                 Mobile Fidelity 694
Zoot Sims Quartet         Zoot at Ease                                                   Mobile Fidelity 842
Zoot Sims       Live at the Half Note                                                              Naked City 11
Zoot Sims       Love For Sale                                                   Nagel-Heyer 102
Zoot Sims Quintet      Zoot!                                                              OJC 228
Zoot Sims       Quartets                                                                         OJC 242
Zoot Sims       And the Gershwin Brothers                                             OJC 444 
Zoots Sims/Harry Sweets Edison   Just Friends                                   OJC 499
Zoot Sims & Joe Pass     Blues For Two                                                 OJC 635 
Zoot Sims/Jimmy Rowles   If I'm Lucky                                                               OJC 683
Zoot Sims       Suddenly It's Spring                                                             OJC 742
Zoot Sims       Plays Johnny Mandel  Quietly There                                 OJC 787
Zoot Sims       Hawthorne Nights                                                           OJC 830
Zoot Sims       The Swinger                                                           OJC 855
Zoot Sims Four       The Innocent Years                                                              OJC 860
Zoot Sims       Soprano Sax                                                                                   OJC 902
Zoot Sims       I Wish I Were Twins                                                                      OJC 976
Zoot Sims/Al Cohn/Tony Scott    East Coast Sounds                                          OJC 1012
Zoot Sims/Jimmy Rowles   Warm Tenor                                                     Pablo 2310 831
Zoot Sims       For Lady Day                                                                       Pablo 2310 942 
Zoot Sims       On The Korner                                                                     Pablo 2310 953 
Zoot Sims/Eddie Lockjaw Davis  The Tenor Giants Featuring Oscar Peterson
                                                                                      Pablo 2310969$
Zoot Sims + the Joe Castro Trio   Live at Falcon Lair                                  Pablo 2310977
Zoot Sims       Lover Man - On the West Coast 1954           Sinatra Society of Japan 1067
Zoot Sims/Bucky Pizzarelli   Elegaic                                                           Storyville 8238
Zoot Sims       Live In Philly                                                                       32 Jazz 32056
Zoot Sims & Kenny Drew Trio   Flower Walts                                              Venus 79036

Other than the Naked City CD, a crappy bootleg, most of the rest are worth acquiring.

After looking over Ken's fine list of CDs by Zoot Sims, I compared it to what I have. There were a few I am missing.

Also discovered that I have some not on Ken's list:

Jazz Mission to Moscow - Colpix 50064

Zoot Sims - live in Louisville - Gambit 69335

Zoot Sims et Henri Renaud (many other musicians) - Gitanes 013 037-2

Zoot Sims in Paris 1956 (Quintet w. Jon Eardley) - Jazztime 22

Zoot Sims - In Paris (Quartet) - Liberty 6244

Zoot Sims - Passion flower - Pablo OJCCD 939-2

Sims - Brookmeyer / Eldridge-Kamuca - Pumpkin 107 & 108