V.S.O.P. (the label from San Diego)

neveronfriday

I might be late for the party on this one, but I just bought into some recommended CDs from V.S.O.P. A search here didn't turn anything up on the label itself, so ...

Two of the discs arrived today, "Music to Fill a Void", by the Don Fagerquist Octet, and "Jazz for Relaxation", featuring Marty Paich, Joe Mondragon and Larry Bunker. These have a very nice, warm sound and satisfy my West Coast fits nicely (I get those regularly). Excellent job by the label on the transfer.

I've got a few more on the way (cut & paste job):

"On Vibes" (Feldman,Victor)

"Richie Kamuca Quartet" (Richie Kamuca Quartet)

"Pepper Adams Quintet" (Pepper Adams Quintet)

"Flute Fraternity" (Herbie Mann with Buddy Collette)

"Let's Get Acquainted with Jazz (For People Who Hate Jazz)"

"A Jazz Band Ball First Set" (Paich, Marty)

Anyone who can recommend more from this label?

Edited by neveronfriday

Great label--some previous discussion here.

I suck at searching.

Sorry.

Hey, many, many worse things in life than another thread on V.S.O.P. releases could happen! :g Just thought you'd want to check out what other posters had said there. I'm partial to the Costa myself--and isn't there a Warne release on the label as well? I can't remember which ones I have & don't have, and I'm at the office, but yeah, I like the Feldman too... got it not long ago, along with Bill Holman's JIVE FOR FIVE. I know I still have quite a few in this series that I'd like to pick up.

Doesn't True Blue carry most of these titles? Not the greatest prices, but easy enough to toss in a couple if you're ordering a Mosaic...

Edited by ghost of miles

The ones I have:

Pepper Adams - Pepper Adams 5

Conte Candoli - Conte Candoli 4

Eddie Costa - Eddie Costa 5

Don Fagerquist - Eight by Eight

Victor Feldman - Victor Feldman on Vibes

Joanne Grauer - Joanne Grauer Trio

Herbie Harper - Herbie Harper 6

Bill Holman - Big Band in a Jazz Orbit

Bill Holman - Jive for Five

Richie Kamuca - Richie Kamuca 4

Stan Levey - Stan Levey 5

Mel Lewis - Mel Lewis Sextet

Warne Marsh - Music for Prancing

Marty Paich - Jazz for Relaxation

Marty Paich - Marty Paich Trio

Marty Paich - Marty Paich Quartet featuring Art Pepper

Frank Rosolino - Frank Rosolino 5

Dempsey Wright - The Wright Approach

Edited by J.A.W.

I've got and would recommend the Adams, Kamuca and Rosolino. Nice West Coasterly stuff on the latter two.

I've also got the Harper, Cooper/Candoli, Geller and Marsh. I can't say I recall them well-enough right now to advise purchase or distance.

Depending on how you feel about Mr. D'Imperio/Bopera House, you might like his stuff here. I like it. It's an energetic and 'together' Big Band sound.

BTW, this is all on LP; don 't think I have any VSOP on CD except one or two D'Imperios.

There's a fantastic VSOP mini-lp reissue campaign occuring in Japan right now ...

I was excited to see this. Then I was bummed that it didn't include my two favorite VSOP (Andex/Mode) sessions: Bill Holman's In A Jazz Orbit and Frank Rosolino's eponymous Mode album. Or at least not yet — or maybe I missed them, and they really are a part? :rlol

I hope that campaign continues!

I have just about all of the VSOP releases available on CD. Here are some that I don't think have been mentioned on this thread.

Art Pepper Quartet - Val's Pal (with Russ Freeman)

Gabe Baltazar Quartet - Back In Action

Leonard Feather Presents Bop (with Idrees Sulieman or Thad Jones, Phil Woods, George Wallington)

The Mike Barone Big band - Live At Donte's, 1968

The Lanny Morgan Quartet

Ralph Pena - Master Of The Bass

The Claude Williamson Trio - Hallucinations

I have just about all of the VSOP releases available on CD. Here are some that I don't think have been mentioned on this thread.

Art Pepper Quartet - Val's Pal (with Russ Freeman)

Gabe Baltazar Quartet - Back In Action

Leonard Feather Presents Bop (with Idrees Sulieman or Thad Jones, Phil Woods, George Wallington)

The Mike Barone Big band - Live At Donte's, 1968

The Lanny Morgan Quartet

Ralph Pena - Master Of The Bass

The Claude Williamson Trio - Hallucinations

I mentioned the Dempsey Wright in post #9.

Great label.

Here are the ones I have that I recommend:

Pepper Adams Quintet

Bob Cooper Conte Candoli Quartet

Danny D'Imperio Blues for Philly Joe

Danny D'Imperio Glass Enclosure

Don Fagerquist Octet

Leather Feather Presents Bop

Herbie Harper Sextet

Richie Kamuca Quartet

Stan Levey Quintet

Marty Paich Quartet

Frank Rosolino Quintet

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Looks like pretty much every single one of their reissues is recommended here ;) so off to the marketplace I will go soon to complete my V.S.O.P. run before they are gone one day.

With so many crappy reissues around today, maximized or otherwise tempered-with remasters, and a rather bleak future for larger numbers of quality reissues, it's good to have one more well of great-sounding CDs to tap into.

Cheers!

My only complaint about these CDs has always been that they are so short, the label could easily create two-fers. As it is, some of these sessions, which were probably 10 inch LPs, run under 30 minutes. Sure, it's 30 minutes of great music, but it doesn't help the wallet. Quite honestly, I've always bought these in the used bin because of this. Maybe if they had made two-fers, I might have felt different.

I have most of the VSOP reissues mentioned here, but on VINYL - the way it's supposed to be, as these make great replica reissues of the original LP's, and then even the playing length makes sense.

My particular favorites are all those MODE reissues (where you can split almost the whole cataloge between VSOP and jap. reissues) as well as those from the Tampa and Andex labels (Bill Holman, Dempsey Wright, etc.). In fact the entire VSOP catalog fills gaps in the reissue catalogs very nicely due to the obscurity of the original releases (in the same way Fresh Sound does - yeah! ;-) )

Another favorite of mine is that Art Pepper LP ("The Art of Pepper"?) that was originally released on some reel-to-reel tape only so never got much listening and for the first time made it to vinyl on VSOP.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

One that a lot of people will overlook is :

ModernJazzOrchestra.jpg

Modern big band with swinging arrangements , good blowing by local Miami musicians , and Kenny Drew guesting . The CD is a needle-drop , but the sound is good . The band's rendition of All Blues is mislabeled as Flamenco Sketches , thus recapitulating the error on the original Kind of Blue ; kind of odd since this record came out almost a year after Kind of Blue by which time presumably , the error would have been known .