Sport: 2007 NBA Play-Offs Pool

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to avoid the conspiracy theory thing, but the refs gave Miami Heat an awful lot of breaks in the last 5 minutes (esp. not calling some flagrant fouls prior to the last one). What was absolutely amazing is that the Heat resorted to Hack-a-Ben (on Ben Wallace), after all the nonsense that Shaq has put up with. As far as I can tell, the Bulls and maybe the Pistons are the two teams that played Shaq honest and refused to employ that strategy (if you can call it that). I hate it. It's a lame desparation cheap tactic, and teams that resort to intentional fouling in the backcourt deserve to lose. All of them. If I was Stern, I would change the rules to make it too painful to resort to it.

But anyway, the Heat know they are going on vacation soon. I think they will probably win game 4, but that will be the last hurrah for the season. Now Pistons-Bulls looks like it should be a pretty good series.

Edited by ejp626

Man... again, I am so torn. It is really good to see Miami getting their ass handed to them, but I was hoping this series would continue a little longer so the Pistons could rest and face a weary Chicago in the second round.

But it's sooooo good seeing the Heat lose. Oh yeah!

The one thing the Bulls have going for them is youth and energy. Plus, Noce was out for 28 games or something, but is looking like he is well rested and back in shape. If a Pistons-Bulls series goes long, then the Bulls definitely have the edge.

If a Pistons-Bulls series goes long, then the Bulls definitely have the edge.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Guy

I could elaborate a bit. I'd probably say it is 60-40 that the Pistons will win. But if the Piston's don't take one from Chicago in Chicago and the series does go 6 or 7 games, then the Bulls look a lot fresher than most other teams, and that gives them a bit of an edge but may not be the deciding factor.

I stand by my statement that this should be a good series. I'm glad to see this become a respectable rivalry again after some really terrible Bulls teams. I actually grew up in Michigan so I have somewhat torn loyalties, and both teams seem to play great team basketball (and defense) without any huge supersize egos running roughshod over the rest of the team. That said, I have to root for the Bulls or my wife would kill me. (And I don't like Rasheed Wallace -- never have -- so that would also sway my opinion.)

I like how Stern was weaseling his way out of the tough questions tonight.

That interview with Jim Gray was ridiculous -- the game was going for a minute or two while we were wasting time on that interview.

Game not over yet.

Guy

ps Mickael Pietrus should have been very high on SS1's "stupidest players" list. He steps out of bounds at least once a game.

Edited by Guy

Damn, could the Mavs play any worse than they are tonight? Golden State is handing the Mavs their asses on a platter. This is fucking embarrassing! :bad:

Al, I know how you must feel right now. It would be painful to go out in the first round after having the 6th best season in league history. Obviously, the outcome is still very much in doubt, but like I said in the other thread, this is a bad matchup for Dallas. The Warriors have now beaten them (somebody correct me if I get the current numbers wrong) 8 of the last 10 times they've faced each other. The Warriors are one of the hottest teams in the league right now, especially at home. Charles "the Warriors will not win another game" Barkley and most of the other "experts" out there simply don't know what's going on, or understand how the Warriors' confidence and chemistry has soared since we got healthy and added the players from Indy. Bill Walton seemed to get it, but it's probably because somebody fed the info to him. For those of us who have been watching (almost) every game this year, there's absolutely no fear for Dallas right now (respect, yes, but not fear). As good as the Warriors looked tonight, they still didn't really get their attack into high gear (Al Harrington can really shoot the 3, believe it or not). I think Dallas can still win it, but if we beat them again Sunday, it will be tough.

It's funny, but the national media guys on TNT and ESPN don't talk about the fact that the Warriors DO play some defense- they were near the top of the league in blocked shots; Baron Davis led the league in steals... I mean, just look at the way they swarmed the Mavs tonight. And the points allowed per game stat that everybody always brings up is very misleading. We're an uptempo team- we're going to allow more points than a lot of teams.

Damn, could the Mavs play any worse than they are tonight? Golden State is handing the Mavs their asses on a platter. This is fucking embarrassing! :bad:

Do you remember the ranting I did after the finals last year about how the Mavs have a fundamental mental/character flaw? I'm still standing by that.

Actually, I would take a perverse pleasure, after hearing this "Dirk for MVP/Dirk's one of the all time geats/I'd take Dirk over Larry Bird" bullshit that's been in the local media-ai all season, if the Mavs would get eliminated in the fiorst round and then Dirk does get the MVP.

The guy's a great plater, sure. But if youy're looking for him to be any sort of a "spiritual leader" or anything like that, you're going to be screwed. That's not who he is, that's not what he wants to be, and that's not something that he has the intenrnal character to be. Anybody who's paid attention for the last 5 years or so should have figured that out by now.

And yet, here we are, replaying the finals in the opening round. Although to be fair, GS is a heckuva lot tougher matchup than the heat were last year. But that's no excuse. This is a team that was supposed to me on a "mission", remember? A team that was going to atone for the world-class choke job of last year. They're not. They're still a team that doesn't have a clue what a dagger is, much less how to use one, even less how to do it with a sense of cool nonchalance.

Everything I said last year, I'm waiting to be proven wrong about.

From tradesports, the probable winners of each series:

Chicago vs. Miami: Chicago 94.5%

Spurs vs. Nugs: Spurs 75.5%

Mavs vs. GSW: Mavs 64.0%

Houston vs. Utah: Houston 77.0%

Lakers vs. Phoenix: Phoenix 93.0%

Nets vs Raptors: Nets 71.5%

Detroit vs. Orlando: Detroit 98.9%

Cleveland vs. Wiz: Cavs 97.2%

And most probable winners of the trophy:

Mavs 30.0%

Suns 22.5%

Pistons 14.5%

Spurs 13.4%

Rockets 6.0%

Cavs 5.8%

Bulls 5.0%

Do you remember the ranting I did after the finals last year about how the Mavs have a fundamental mental/character flaw? I'm still standing by that.

Actually, I would take a perverse pleasure, after hearing this "Dirk for MVP/Dirk's one of the all time geats/I'd take Dirk over Larry Bird" bullshit that's been in the local media-ai all season, if the Mavs would get eliminated in the fiorst round and then Dirk does get the MVP.

The guy's a great plater, sure. But if youy're looking for him to be any sort of a "spiritual leader" or anything like that, you're going to be screwed. That's not who he is, that's not what he wants to be, and that's not something that he has the intenrnal character to be. Anybody who's paid attention for the last 5 years or so should have figured that out by now.

And yet, here we are, replaying the finals in the opening round. Although to be fair, GS is a heckuva lot tougher matchup than the heat were last year. But that's no excuse. This is a team that was supposed to me on a "mission", remember? A team that was going to atone for the world-class choke job of last year. They're not. They're still a team that doesn't have a clue what a dagger is, much less how to use one, even less how to do it with a sense of cool nonchalance.

Everything I said last year, I'm waiting to be proven wrong about.

I'm with you all the way. Remember what I've been predicting all season. But it was still disgusting to watch. Stick a fork in 'em: they're dead.