Classical Music Forum Poll

Classical Music Forum Poll  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG 32 yes's out of over 1600 members!!!

Sorry for being a stick in the mud, but I haven't had time to mess with this and I won't for a while.

no fair counting aric twice. no fair counting deep. frankly jim you know that we do not have 1600 members posting, let alone voting. and all members have had the opportunity to vote!

the poll fairly represents the will of the majority.

i prefer your honesty that you don't have the time to mess with this to your false derision of a fair poll.

-_-

Sorry for being a stick in the mud, but I haven't had time to mess with this and I won't for a while.

no fair counting aric twice. no fair counting deep. frankly jim you know that we do not have 1600 members posting, let alone voting. and all members have had the opportunity to vote!

i prefer your honesty that you don't have the time to mess with this to your false derision of a fair poll.

-_-

No poll is fair when it has two "joke" answers. A fair poll is "yes" "No" and "I don't care".

And furthermore a poll on such a question is inherently biased toward those in favor. They want the new subforum and will happily vote for it. Who's to say how many of those who vote "I don't care" actually would be in opposition if they took a moment to think it through?

I haven't voted yet, but still think if you're going to separate classical music out of the miscellaneous music forum, you should separate all the other "categories" of music too.

Why doesn't "miscellaneous music" adequately cover classical music? I still don't understand that. If I'm searching for a historical thread on King Crimson, I search for King Crimson. Likewise if I'm searching for a Peer Gynt (to use a current topic) thread, I would search for Peer Gynt. I wouldn't care which forum the results come from.

I haven't voted yet, but still think if you're going to separate classical music out of the miscellaneous music forum, you should separate all the other "categories" of music too.

Why doesn't "miscellaneous music" adequately cover classical music? I still don't understand that. If I'm searching for a historical thread on King Crimson, I search for King Crimson. Likewise if I'm searching for a Peer Gynt (to use a current topic) thread, I would search for Peer Gynt. I wouldn't care which forum the results come from.

So vote Huh?

So vote Huh?

I don't feel strongly enough about it to vote. If it happens fine, if not, fine. I'll get the same hours of sleep per night either way :P

Stop assailing us with your filthy logic! :lol:

Stop assailing us with your filthy logic! :lol:

LOL...

The only argument I can see that would favor splitting it all out into separate categories would be if you simply want to browse topics in a general category, and you arent looking for something specific, but just sort of surfing. Then I could see the benefit to having all the classical threads together. Same with rock, country, etc.

Edited by Aggie87

• 2 weeks later...

-_-

No poll is fair when it has two "joke" answers. A fair poll is "yes" "No" and "I don't care".

And furthermore a poll on such a question is inherently biased toward those in favor. They want the new subforum and will happily vote for it. Who's to say how many of those who vote "I don't care" actually would be in opposition if they took a moment to think it through?

I agree with both Dan and Erik (Aggie), and in view of what Jim said (post #100) I think we should give it a rest :)

Edited by J.A.W.

the argument for subdividing blues/r&b/boogaloo etc is specious; while there back & forth between jass, them other musics, there are ALSO other places on the interweb to blather about that & really, except for the dudes who came up in r&b contexts... there's no resaon not to dump 'em in artsists or wherever.

The fact that there are other places to talk about blues/rock/etc on the web isn't a valid argument. All sorts of non-jazz topics exist on this board - classical, rock, pop, non-music, politics, religion, etc. Heck, there are quite a few board members who almost exclusively post and argue in the politics forum, and there are plenty of other places on the web for that to be done as well.

i'm cool w/no action but the anti- people are pretty damn insecure about "the threat"

(ooooooooh)

TRUTH!!! :tup

to me this is the most facinating part.

i could accept Jim A saying hey guys its a lot of work and i don't have the time.

BUT the folk that are anti are FREAKED OUT by the possibility it might happen!!! :blink:

i cant figure that one out.

Edited by Bright Moments

dude, it's TOTALLY valid bc there's no mass, critical or otherwise, clamoring for blues/r&b/etc etc... almost all of those threads devolve into Catalog of Ships anyway, which is probably why nobody is jonesing for it. as for the "rock" threads here... by & large they're a fucking embarassment: not bc i think the music is any greater/lesser but jokers are arguing w/the slimmest knowledge of the form...

Clem, from what I've seen of the classical music threads on this forum, they are +90% comparison of different recordings. Actual discussion of the music is more rare. I don't think they're of any higher quality than the popular music threads.

Guy

dude, it's TOTALLY valid bc there's no mass, critical or otherwise, clamoring for blues/r&b/etc etc... almost all of those threads devolve into Catalog of Ships anyway, which is probably why nobody is jonesing for it. as for the "rock" threads here... by & large they're a fucking embarassment: not bc i think the music is any greater/lesser but jokers are arguing w/the slimmest knowledge of the form...

Clem, from what I've seen of the classical music threads on this forum, they are +90% comparison of different recordings. Actual discussion of the music is more rare. I don't think they're of any higher quality than the popular music threads.

Guy

Hey, no need to make this personal.

Guy

I think I agree with you, (if I understood you :blink:)

A discussion on a supposed "higher" subject, SHOSTAKOVITCH (or whatever you write it) instead of Neil Young, doesn't make it more profound only because of the general aknowledge that the damn unwritable russian composer is better then the naive canadian.

Personally, since I am not a musician, nor an expert, I can't read music, I feel myself out of place in a lot of these threads. I asked for suggestions, but music for me is an inextricable knot of personal history and deeply unconscious feelings. At the end I found the above russian composer boring and Neil Young exciting. Said that, I really don't care: if some of you wish a classical music thread go on. Nothing anti or personal against it.