Bill Evans Plays The Theme From The V.I.P.'s And Other Great Songs

Matthew

Sorry to bore people with my Bill Evans question here, but I have searched through various discographies and I can't seem to find out if this has ever been out on cd. Does anyone know? Evans didn't think too much of it, but I'm becoming a completest about Evans. :blush:

Bill Evans Plays The Theme From The V.I.P.'s And Other Great Songs (MGM E 4184)

Bill Evans (p) Claus Ogerman (arr, cond) unidentified large orchestra, strings and choir

NYC, May 6, 1963

63VK420 Theme From "The V.I.P.'s"

63VK443 On Broadway

unidentified brass, woodwinds, rhythm and strings replaces unidentified large orchestra, strings and choir

NYC, summer 1963

Theme From Mr. Novak

The Caretakers' Theme

More

Walk On The Wild Side

Hollywood

On Green Dolphin Street

The Days Of Wine And Roses

The Man With The Golden Arm

Laura

Evans-vip.JPG

Tracklist:

Side One

Theme From "Mr. Novak"

The Caretakers Theme

More

Walk On The Wild Side

The Days of Wine and Roses

Theme From "The V.I.P.s"

Side Two

Hollywood (Evans-Ogerman composed)

Sweet September

On Green Dolphin Street

The Man With The Golden Arm

Laura

On Broadway

Edited by Matthew

I don't think this is on CD, Matthew. The Verve box set deliberately didn't include it, as it is not considered to be a very good album. But I've never heard it, so I don't know what it's like.

[i heard that Gary McFarland's "Soft Samba" was no good, but I got a CD of it and I like it. Ditto, the 1964 album of Stan Getz and Bill Evans.]

I don't think this is on CD, Matthew. The Verve box set deliberately didn't include it, as it is not considered to be a very good album. But I've never heard it, so I don't know what it's like.

[i heard that Gary McFarland's "Soft Samba" was no good, but I got a CD of it and I like it. Ditto, the 1964 album of Stan Getz and Bill Evans.]

Gee, not even in Japan? It does have some interesting titles on it, and I would be interested in hearing Hollywood, just to hear what Evans-Ogerman came up with. I demand this gets released. :angry:

Gee, not even in Japan? It does have some interesting titles on it, and I would be interested in hearing Hollywood, just to hear what Evans-Ogerman came up with. I demand this gets released. :angry:

Originally Bill insisted this be issued under a fake name. He finally relented.

I owned the LP years ago, finally dumped it. As an Evans fanatic, I figured that there must be some merit, but I just couldn't find any. This is a straight album of square movie music, about the caliber of Roger Williams, Ferrante & Teicher or Peter Nero. I take that back - Nero usually has more happening than anything here. Evans is completely unrecognizable, and the charts are cookie-cutter.

:tdown

I owned the LP years ago, finally dumped it. As an Evans fanatic, I figured that there must be some merit, but I just couldn't find any. This is a straight album of square movie music, about the caliber of Roger Williams, Ferrante & Teicher or Peter Nero. I take that back - Nero usually has more happening than anything here. Evans is completely unrecognizable, and the charts are cookie-cutter.

:tdown

You were thinking what I'm thinking. Just looking at the titles for this lp, there's a lot to like, though the Ogerman addition is one I don't like that much. I was thinking: how bad could it be? even If Evans just played the melodies that would be nice. Maybe I should be thankful I haven't heard it yet.

Edited by Matthew

• 11 years later...

Bumping this one. Did we have a conversation about this thing in another thread?? Anyway, Evans completist that I am, I got hold of the 2008 Verve Originals reissue of it on cd. Oh my. It's almost entirely dreck. There is an Evans/Ogerman original on it ("Hollywood") that shows hints--only hints--of something better, but that is cancelled by a particularly dreadful version of "On Broadway," on which Evans sort of plinks at his piano as if it were trying to bite him. As others have noted, it wasn't included on the Rust Box because it was deemed to be without much value, and the fact that people realized that while producing a box which still (for me) holds the record as the ugliest-looking reissue project ever, its notes impossible to read, does say something!

gregmo

On 11/21/2018 at 0:29 PM, JSngry said:

I don't see where making a muzak album is justification for making a shitty record. Creed Taylor should have known better.

Oh, I think we could have a whole thread on lousy albums that Creed Taylor made! But this one must rank right down there near the bottom.

gregmo

Oh, I know he made some bad records. But when he made them, I can't think of any where he used a "name jazz artist" as the leader. I know that's debatable for CTI & even some Verve. But when he did them there, they were always "easy listening jazz" rather than hardcore "easy listening". There a big difference, imo.

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

When Ogerman first came to the US, he was taking any gig he could get.

Yeah, I got burned enough on some mid-60s 25 cent MOR thrift shop records to realize that. I'm thinking, oh, good, Claus Ogerman, this will be cheesey, maybe, but some tasty cheesey.

Nope. Not even.