Greatest Blakey SAXOPHONE Album

Rooster_Ties

But having said all that, Wayne on the RTE Olympia sides is Nutz Skwared. Or does that not count?

That was the first thing that came to my mind as well. I was once listening to all recordings of Wayne in chronological order. When I got to the RTE Olympia concert - wholly shit!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ABlakeyIndestructible.jpg

Yep. (Free For All - Freddie) + Lee/(Reggie Workman-Jymie Merritt). I still think that FFA's overall "favored" status over Indestructable is a residual function of the latter having been OOP as an LP for may years while FFA stayed in print. Otherwise, hey, they're both topshelfstellardefinitive classics, but if I could only have one, it would be my orange and black buddy,

But having said all that, Wayne on the RTE Olympia sides is Nutz Skwared. Or does that not count?

These were my two thoughts as well.

I love how it sounds like everything is about to go off the rails on Free for All. I still remember the first time I heard that in college. Shit! :rhappy:

Of what seem to be three different sets from the Jazz Messengers concerts at the Olympia, 13 May 1961, Lee is IMHO in charge on two of them. But the third is Wayne's sick joke at the expense of everyone else who ever played tenor. He is so far beyond everyone else (on stage) it's incredible.

Edited by umum_cypher

I've always thought Moanin' was somewhat overrated... but that's due to a strong preference for Shorter over Golson both as a composer and as a player.

Guy

I feel just the opposite. Golson=underrated (especially as a player); Shorter=overrated. Shorter's composing leaves me cold much of the time, and although I do respect him, his playing has never reached me in a strong way, either.

I've always thought Moanin' was somewhat overrated... but that's due to a strong preference for Shorter over Golson both as a composer and as a player.

Guy

I feel just the opposite. Golson=underrated (especially as a player); Shorter=overrated. Shorter's composing leaves me cold much of the time, and although I do respect him, his playing has never reached me in a strong way, either.

I have to go with Jim R. on this ... How anyone can claim that Shorter is a better composer than Golson I just cannot understand. Sure Wayne has some fine, introspective compositions, but Golson is in a class by himself. Also (and I am on record as having said this before on this site) Shorter's playing just leaves me wondering where "the meat is" ... Griffin, McLean, Watson, Ira Sullivan, and certainly Mobley all excite me far more than Shorter. I always feel a little guilty that I just cannot "get with" Shorter considering al the fuss that is made of him on this list.

I have to go with Jim R. on this ... How anyone can claim that Shorter is a better composer than Golson I just cannot understand. Sure Wayne has some fine, introspective compositions, but Golson is in a class by himself.

I'm only familiar with his compositions on Moanin', as well as the tunes "Whisper Not", "Stablemates" and "I Remember Clifford". So if he's done better elsewhere, I may eventually re-evaluate...

Guy

Edited by Guy

In my book, Golson and Shorter are both monster composers. I see no reason to set them off against each other. On the tenor, I find Shorter to be a bit more exciting. But I can sure enjoy listening to Golson as well.

Edited by John L

I have to go with Jim R. on this ... How anyone can claim that Shorter is a better composer than Golson I just cannot understand. Sure Wayne has some fine, introspective compositions, but Golson is in a class by himself.

I'm only familiar with his compositions on Moanin', as well as the tunes "Whisper Not", "Stablemates" and "I Remember Clifford". So if he's done better elsewhere, I may eventually re-evaluate...

Guy

"done better elsewhere"????

I don't think there's anything that can be said except WTF??

Just a guess but I suspect that 99% of all jazz artists who have tried their hand at composing tunes wish they could have written tunes like the ones you mention.

Guy

Just a guess but I suspect that 99% of all jazz artists who have tried their hand at composing tunes wish they could have written tunes like the ones you mention.

The comparison was strictly between Shorter and Golson, who are both presumably in that 1%.

Guy

Guy

The comparison was strictly between Shorter and Golson, who are both presumably in that 1%.

Guy

Well, Shorter is not in my top 1%, just as Golson must not be in yours. To each his own, but I've never ever encountered anyone who would list the tunes from Moanin' plus "Stablemates" "Whisper Not" and "I Remember Clifford" as compositions that are somehow lacking or subpar and be asking for "better" examples of his composing skills. :wacko:

To my ears, Golson is a great classic jazz composer, where Shorter was a great progressive jazz composer. Hard to say which is better...guess it depends on what type of jazz you prefer. I reach for Shorter's stuff more often, but I love Golson as well.

Guest donald petersen

To my ears, Golson is a great classic jazz composer, where Shorter was a great progressive jazz composer. Hard to say which is better...guess it depends on what type of jazz you prefer. I reach for Shorter's stuff more often, but I love Golson as well.

i don't think your opinion is just "to your ears". probably any jazz listener feels the same way regarding your golson/shorter comparison.

i don't think your opinion is just "to your ears". probably any jazz listener feels the same way regarding your golson/shorter comparison.

Yep. And as what was "progressive" in Shorter's Messengers days became more and more "mainstream", it's only natural that some might hear Golson's work as less than the masterful use of elements-of-its-time that it truly is. (Although I do think Golson became less inventive and more formulaic as both player and composer, his craftsmanship was never less than impeccable. And his playing since his "comeback" has often been pretty damn interesting, I think.)

Hell, there's more than a few people who think that both Golson's and Shorter's Messengers work is "old fashioned", and at least for a while, Wayne was one of 'em. Remember his comments about writing "nightclub music"?

• 6 years later...