Kenny Dorham

Tom 1960

I just borrowed this recording from a friend and have to say I'm REALLY enjoying this one. The first 5 tracks are especially killer with a heavy latin feel and fine playing by all musicians. Carlos "Potato" Valdes on conga is terrific. Anyone else want to praise this recording?

This really is kind of a Jazz Messengers records with guests: Jay Jay, Cecil Payne (love him here!), and Patato.

This is the best playing of Patato with Jazz musicians that I have heard.

I prefer to listen to the two sessions separately - this was intended for two 10" LPs.

Edited by mikeweil

I love this album. "Afrodisia" is a cracking opener and the five tracks with Valdes are great. But the second half of the album has some greata things too, particularly "K.D.'s Motion." One of my favourite Dorham albums and an excellent showcase of his writing skills.

Also, "Minor's Holiday" (though the version from the Cafe Bohemia is better).

Guy

Kenny Dorham is the king!

(Uncrowned, perhaps, but still the king.)

Amen to that! I have been sort of on a Kenny Dorham roll the last half year of so. I always liked Dorham, but my appreciation has really deepened only recently. His combination of extraordinary musicality, control of the instrument, bop fluency, and lyricism is hard to beat: very satisfying for almost any mood. Kenny has become one of my favorites.

I love this album. "Afrodisia" is a cracking opener and the five tracks with Valdes are great. But the second half of the album has some greata things too, particularly "K.D.'s Motion." One of my favourite Dorham albums and an excellent showcase of his writing skills.

Also, "Minor's Holiday" (though the version from the Cafe Bohemia is better).

Guy

I prefer the "Minor's Holiday" version from AFRO-CUBAN, especially for the participation of Blakey, Valdes and wonderul soloing by Mobley.

But that quibble aside, what really makes KD an unsung giant IMO, particularly when compared with other, technically renowned trumpet players who appeared often on Blue Note dates, is his superior compositional ability. Sometime ago I made a CD-R for myself of various KD compositions, e.g., "Tahitian Suite", "La Villa", "Sao Paulo", "Lotus Blossum" (aka "Asiatic Raes"), "Sunrise in Mexico", "El Matador", "Escapade", "Speculate", "The Prophet", "Short Story", "Horn Salute", "Windmill", "Scandia Skies", as well as the aforementioned "Minot's Holiday". Great stuff! With the appearance in recent years of albums by today's players who celebrate the music of past jazz masters, I'd love to see one that pays tribute to KD's wonderful material.

With the appearance in recent years of albums by today's players who celebrate the music of past jazz masters, I'd love to see one that pays tribute to KD's wonderful material.

post-1096-1188729872.jpg

Here's one worth seeking out

Don Sickler - The Music of Kenny Dorham (Reservoir) rec. 1983

Don Sickler (tp), JImmy Heath (ts), Cedar Walton (p), Ron Carter (b), Billy Higgins (d)

Spring Cannon / Escapade / Windmill / Phily Twist / La Mesha / The Fox / Blue Lament

Just wish he hadn't showed up for Cecil Taylor's Hard Driving Jazz date. Good player, 100% wrong context.

Listening to the crap Cecil plays over KD's composition and solos, I bet KD wished he hadn't shown up either.

I think the producer (Tom Wilson?) wanted to present Cecil in a more mainstream context, and hired the players. Of course, Cecil was having none of it, and the session just doesn't jell. Cecil and the others seem to be having a tug of war, and nobody wins. To further complicate matters, the session has since been issued as a Coltrane-led date, which makes Cecil the odd man out, even though it was originally his date! A noble experiment that failed.

Just wish he hadn't showed up for Cecil Taylor's Hard Driving Jazz date. Good player, 100% wrong context.

Listening to the crap Cecil plays over KD's composition and solos, I bet KD wished he hadn't shown up either.

I think the producer (Tom Wilson?) wanted to present Cecil in a more mainstream context, and hired the players. Of course, Cecil was having none of it, and the session just doesn't jell. Cecil and the others seem to be having a tug of war, and nobody wins. To further complicate matters, the session has since been issued as a Coltrane-led date, which makes Cecil the odd man out, even though it was originally his date! A noble experiment that failed.

An experiment - I'm not sure how noble it was. One thing's for sure - Cecil will play his music, his way, without concern for whatever "concepts" record producers may have.