The Eagles sell out

T.D.

I was listening to radio in the car yesterday, and heard some funny (but sad) s**t.

The station played a cut from the forthcoming Eagles album, after which the DJ (payola must have been in action) recited the line "the album will be available, starting Sept ? [i forget the date], only at WAL*MART".

I'm not an Eagles fan, to say the least, but this struck me as an abomination. Further, the station (WDST, Woodstock NY) is one for which I once had some respect. To his credit, the DJ expressed some displeasure at having to read the promo.

I don't know, were the Eagles previously a "bastion of integrity"?

The simple answer is to remember that they once said they'd never reunite unless "Hell freezes over", then called their reunion tour "Hell Freezes Over" and have kept at it for at least three or more seasons of touring to huge paydays.

My guess is that the whole problem with global warming is that indeed, Hell has frozen over, and all of that heat has to go somewhere.

:g

Can't say I'm surprised about the band, who I hadn't even followed closely enough to know the details re. "Hell Freezes Over" etc.

I guess what pissed me off was hearing the album and WAL*MART tie-in pimped by a radio station I'd previously regarded as somewhat independent.

Can't say I'm surprised about the band, who I hadn't even followed closely enough to know the details re. "Hell Freezes Over" etc.

I guess what pissed me off was hearing the album and WAL*MART tie-in pimped by a radio station I'd previously regarded as somewhat independent.

If the station is your problem, you posted in the wrong forum. FWIW radio stations exist to make money. SUPRISE!!!!

That' how the music has changed over the years: Once it was all about visions, now it's all about money. I'm not surprised, not in the least.

Considering that the major entertainment companies all are only after the money, too, it's only logical to go where you get the best deal. The majors are no longer record companies, in case you didn't notice.

Actually, the music business has ALWAYS been about money, the truly artistic achievements have been "happy accidents". :cool:

I'm cynical, but not nearly cynical enough to agree with that statement. The "music business" includes a lot of people, including musicians, record company owners, and producers - some of whom post or have posted on the Board - and I don't think that it's always been simply about the money for all of them. I'm sure that all of them want to make a living, but if that's all they want, there are easier ways to do it.

I may just actually get this. I had heard "No More Cloudy Days" awhile back, and really dug that song. It had a nice wimp-country "New Kid in Town" flavor to it that I've always enjoyed the few times they've done it. Then I heard another song from the new album the other night that I really enjoyed. So, we'll see. I mean, I'm hardly a big fan of the Eagles, but I can't beat that price to see what the other tracks are like.

Edited by Big Al

Actually, the music business has ALWAYS been about money, the truly artistic achievements have been "happy accidents". :cool:

I'm cynical, but not nearly cynical enough to agree with that statement. The "music business" includes a lot of people, including musicians, record company owners, and producers - some of whom post or have posted on the Board - and I don't think that it's always been simply about the money for all of them. I'm sure that all of them want to make a living, but if that's all they want, there are easier ways to do it.

Hmmmm....Good response/answer!

Anyhow, I don't know the business, per se, but, going on my 60+ years of listening and playing all kinds of music, when it comes to popular music, e.g. the Eagles, I tend to agree with Shawn. [Eventhough he's since recanted/joking.]

The only people who would buy a new Eagles album would be fat Americans wearing American flag t-shirts who shop at Walmart anyway. It makes perfect sense.

In contrast to all the fat American (and non-American) jazz fans? ;)

Guy

Talk for yourself Guy! Yurpean forum's members are hundred-percent fat-free.