Verve Reissues, 2008

montg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For now let's hope those two tracks are on the disc after all.

I wish they'd release Yusef Lateef's 1984 on CD. It's available on iTunes and

if you're an American, you can even get it as a Verve HD Download (why this

isn't offered to Europeans will forever remain a mystery to me...) and it was

released on CD in Japan (long out of print and hard to get these days), why

not give us a regular CD release at last? Anyone here have a contact there?

Any opinion of the Desmond?

I think that was an A&M, wasn't it? I don't recall ever reading much good about any of his A&Ms.

I don't particularly care for it. It's just as schmaltzy as you might imagine, and the songs themselves don't really lend themselves well to jazz interpretation. Desmond, especially and surprisingly, sounds rather uninspired.

Now if you want a good Desmond title on A&M, seek out From the Hot Afternoon. Now there's a beauty of an album!

I'm a big fan of Desmond, but I have to agree with Al on both albums. If you really like Simon and Garfunkel then BOTW might be worth purchasing. I've only had From the Hot Afternoon for a few months and with all the other purchases I've made during the same time, I haven't completely aborbed it yet for a detailed opinion. I will say it's no where near as good as his RCA albums, but it's still pretty good. I should give it a spin tonight.

Well, don't let its unavailability to you build up into a huge anticipatory thing or you'll be disappointed with the session when you do finally get to hear it. It's fine. . . but it's in my opinion the least of his Impulses. . . .I love Teefsky. . .I bought the Japanese Impulse cd some years back. . .but prefer all the other Impulse titles, and all the Savoys, to this one.

Well, don't let its unavailability to you build up into a huge anticipatory thing or you'll be disappointed with the session when you do finally get to hear it. It's fine. . . but it's in my opinion the least of his Impulses. . . .I love Teefsky. . .I bought the Japanese Impulse cd some years back. . .but prefer all the other Impulse titles, and all the Savoys, to this one.

Agree totally. "A Flat, G Flat and C" is the Lateef Impulse that needs a CD reissue.

So was there an earlier edition of the Burrell disc with bonus tracks or are

we talking about "potential" bonus tracks that might or might not be releasable?

There was a CD from circa 1990 that had two bonus tracks. I have a fairly recent Japanese reissue (UCCU-5165) which also has those two bonus tracks. And the CD Universe listing also has two bonus tracks (could be in error from the previous CD reissue, I suppose). The original Argo album had 8 tracks, while these CDs had 10.

However, Lord lists a total of 17 tracks of which 4 are unissued, so a complete edition would be the definitive way to do it. Not that Verve in 2008 will.

I might be wrong about this, but think that maybe there's one that's only been released on a Chess/Cadet/Whatever 2-fer LP from the very early 70s called Cool Cookin' that was ostensibly a "best of" affair. That one had 2 previously unissued cuts, but I think that maybe one has since been reissued elsewhere.

Edited by JSngry

we talking about "potential" bonus tracks that might or might not be releasable?

There was a CD from circa 1990 that had two bonus tracks. I have a fairly recent Japanese reissue (UCCU-5165) which also has those two bonus tracks. And the CD Universe listing also has two bonus tracks (could be in error from the previous CD reissue, I suppose). The original Argo album had 8 tracks, while these CDs had 10.

However, Lord lists a total of 17 tracks of which 4 are unissued, so a complete edition would be the definitive way to do it. Not that Verve in 2008 will.

I might be wrong about this, but think that maybe there's one that's only been released on a Chess/Cadet/Whatever 2-fer LP from the very early 70s called Cool Cookin' that was ostensibly a "best of" affair. That one had 2 previously unissued cuts, but I think that maybe one has since been reissued elsewhere.

As I noted earlier - the UK version (a single LP) had only one previously unissued track. Thought there might be more on the US version.

The Burrell LP mid seventies compilation "Cool cookin'" (UK edition) has one of the unissued tracks - "How could you do a thing like that to me. I think the US edition of "Cool cookin'" was a double LP - maybe there was more on that.

MG

MG

I have a 2-LP set in the Chess Jazz Masters Series called Recapitulation that sounds like the album you're describing. Side two of this set comprises six tracks from the Vanguard date, two of which were unreleased at the time: "Afternoon in Paris" and "Tricotism." On the album, it says these tracks are from an album called Man at Work. Did Chess/Argo/Cadet/whatever re-release the Live at the Village Vanguard album in the 60's?

I have a 2-LP set in the Chess Jazz Masters Series called Recapitulation that sounds like the album you're describing. Side two of this set comprises six tracks from the Vanguard date, two of which were unreleased at the time: "Afternoon in Paris" and "Tricotism." On the album, it says these tracks are from an album called Man at Work. Did Chess/Argo/Cadet/whatever re-release the Live at the Village Vanguard album in the 60's?

Yes, and the called it "man at work".

I don't now about "Recapitulation". "Cool cookin'" had a frosty guitar ian ice block cover in the US.

MG

anyone have details on the live Jimmy Smith date?

This is all I could find on allmusic:

-----------------------

Recorded at the Village Gate, NYC. Smith in a trio setting. Plenty of fine playing.

Tracks

1 I Got a Woman Charles, Richard

2 Won't You Come Home, Bill Bailey? Cannon

3 The Champ Gillespie

4 If I Were a Bell Loesser

Releases

Year 1963

Catalog #

LP Metro 521

Re: A Night At The Vanguard-Kenny Burrell

Thanks gents. :) I think I bought it around the same time as the LPR series was ramping up. The Japanese mini-lp cd I have is UCCC-9009. It does have Japanese liner notes dated Jan '97, but the OBI says this was released 3/28/02. Only the original 8 tracks.

But I also have that "Recapitulation" Lp set, so I guess I've got all the tracks that have been issued. :tup

Edited by Parkertown

Re: A Night At The Vanguard-Kenny Burrell

Thanks gents. :) I think I bought it around the same time as the LPR series was ramping up. The Japanese mini-lp cd I have is UCCC-9009. It does have Japanese liner notes dated Jan '97, but the OBI says this was released 3/28/02. Only the original 8 tracks.

Yes, that's the one I have. I don't keep my OBI strips :) But I got it in an HMV branch in Tokyo in May 2002. You wouldn't have found a 1997 issue there so long afterwards :)

MG

could someone please put me in chains to keep me from buying a copy of that desmond album ? :ph34r:

i love desmond and i don't mind jazz artists covering pop tunes from time to time ... but ... all this overplayed kitschy simon/garfunkel tunes really scare the shit out of me. :unsure:

i will surely get a copy of that burrell album ... i have never heard burrell in a trio setting before, so this one should be interesting.

could someone please put me in chains to keep me from buying a copy of that desmond album ? :ph34r:

i love desmond and i don't mind jazz artists covering pop tunes from time to time ... but ... all this overplayed kitschy simon/garfunkel tunes really scare the shit out of me. :unsure:

i will surely get a copy of that burrell album ... i have never heard burrell in a trio setting before, so this one should be interesting.

Midnight Blue is the same kind of trio with the addition of Stanley Turrentine on tenor sax. That can whet your appetite until the 18th!

Stay strong; stay away from the Desmond album. We're here for you. Get From the Hot Afternoon instead, if you don't already have it.

Should the same apply to the Bill Evans set? Not worth the time?