The best guitarist with organ.

Matthew

Who works best in an organ combo?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wes & Mel are great, too.

Kind of off topic, but all this talk about Wes and Mel made me pull out the Wes Riverside set and listen for Mel a bit more. So anyway, right before I woke up this morning, I had a dream that I went to an auditorium on a college campus, and Mel was there trying to push a new CD of religious music. I asked him if he was the guy that recorded with Wes Montgomery, and he told me excitedly that he was, and took me over to a B3 to show me some stuff. A few minutes later, who should appear but Diana Krall ( :lol: ), but Mel won't give her the time of day. So, she walks up to me and asks what I did to get him to talk. I said "I don't know, I just asked him about Wes Montgomery. Give me your email address, and I'll tell you more about Wes." Diana walks away with a bewildered look on her face. End of dream. :D

A few minutes later, who should appear but Diana Krall ( :lol: ), but Mel won't give her the time of day. So, she walks up to me and asks what I did to get him to talk. I said "I don't know, I just asked him about Wes Montgomery. Give me your email address, and I'll tell you more about Wes." Diana walks away with a bewildered look on her face. End of dream. :D

Smooth!

• 10 months later...

Voted for Grant Green cuz he's my favorite of those listed.

Of those not listed, got two words for ya:

MELVIN SPARKS

The cat lives up to his name!!!! :excited:

Melvin is a Bad Man! :tup His playing just keeps getting better and better to these ears.

I been listening to a lot of Riverside era Wes with Mel on organ lately. Hard to overstate how good these albums are.

My vote went to Wes who happens to be one of my favorite musicians generally. Among the men that were mentioned he has the best sound quality IMHO. Another important Organ/Guitar project is the relatively recent recording of Michael Brecker, Larry Goldings, Pat Metheny and Bill Stewart. For those who live in Europe you probably could see their concert on the Mezzo channel. Their record is called "Time is of the essence". Most of the tunes in that album are very good, Metheny improvises well in such authentic jazz settings and his collaborations with Brecker are always a pleasure.

post-3-1094494899.jpg

1. Shampoo bottles always say "Lather, rinse, REPEAT". That doesn't mean you HAD to do it every time. They just want you to use more shampoo. Anyway, it could have been that, or the fact that you always set your blow dryer on "hot"... or using brushes with hard bristles...

=====

2. Why do all of your shirts say "Copyright Dr. Jazz" on the right sleeve?

=====

3. This is the actual cell where Andy and Barney always put Otis.

Wes & Mel are great, too.

Kind of off topic, but all this talk about Wes and Mel made me pull out the Wes Riverside set and listen for Mel a bit more. So anyway, right before I woke up this morning, I had a dream that I went to an auditorium on a college campus, and Mel was there trying to push a new CD of religious music. I asked him if he was the guy that recorded with Wes Montgomery, and he told me excitedly that he was, and took me over to a B3 to show me some stuff. A few minutes later, who should appear but Diana Krall ( :lol: ), but Mel won't give her the time of day. So, she walks up to me and asks what I did to get him to talk. I said "I don't know, I just asked him about Wes Montgomery. Give me your email address, and I'll tell you more about Wes." Diana walks away with a bewildered look on her face. End of dream. :D

Damn, I'm glad this got pulled back up; I missed this the first time around! :g

Too bad Wes didn't record with other organists than Melvin Rhyne or Jimmy Smith, although I dig these to death.

Dave Stryker works fine with organists, too.

31362.jpg

He is on Javon Jackson's Blue Note CD Pleasant Valley, which is sold at bargain price in Germany at the time, paired with Larry Goldings.

Joe G Posted on Sep 6 2004, 09:49 PM

I like that Brecker album, but that photo... looks ripe for some fun with captions! 

b3-er Posted on Sep 6 2004, 11:02 PM

Brecker: Yeah, yeah, yeah Pat.... I know how you feel about Kenny G already and I AGREE WITH YOU, MAN! Sheesh!!

Jim R Posted on Sep 7 2004, 12:23 AM

1. Shampoo bottles always say "Lather, rinse, REPEAT". That doesn't mean you HAD to do it every time. They just want you to use more shampoo. Anyway, it could have been that, or the fact that you always set your blow dryer on "hot"... or using brushes with hard bristles...

=====

2. Why do all of your shirts say "Copyright Dr. Jazz" on the right sleeve?

=====

3. This is the actual cell where Andy and Barney always put Otis

:g:D:lol::g:D:lol:

LOL

Michael and Pat I'm really sorry, didn't mean it when posted the picture

B-)

One important collaboration that wasn't mentioned at all is that between John McLaughlin, Joey DeFrancesco and Elvin Jones. The tribute album to Trane "After the rain" is their best known effort. From AMG:

In the early '70s John McLaughlin was 1/3 of the super group Lifetime with drummer Tony Williams and organist Larry Young. This particular CD from 1994 matches him with drummer Elvin Jones and organist Joey DeFrancesco but the music has little in common with Lifetime. Instead many of the tunes can be considered to be tributes to John Coltrane; Jones's participation certainly reinforces that connection. McLaughlin, back on electric guitar after several years sticking almost exclusively to acoustic, is in top form on such numbers as "Take the Coltrane," "My Favorite Things," "Crescent" and "Afro Blue." The improvising is advanced and colorful with DeFrancesco keeping the proceedings swinging and, even if the results are not quite classic, the collaboration is somewhat unique. Scott Yanow

…and Scott also made a point talking about the trio with Young/Williams and McLaughlin.

Enjoy one more revealing picture :g