Sunday Morning Music

Sundog

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no ritual, Sunday is just another day.

Today it's a Phillip Glass morning.

Saxophone :tup

The Orphee Suite for Piano (so-so)

Early Voice (a few more listens and I should be raving about this)

It's 11:47, afternoon should arrive in a few hours with Jazz. :rsmile:

I try to keep things on a relaxed tip on Sunday's...cause if I don't the "monday morning work demons" try to creep in and stress me out prior to starting the week.

This morning:

Johnny Griffin/Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - Pisces (lovely ballad session)

Red Garland - Red Alone

Lou Donaldson - Lush Life

Hank Mobley - a ballad compilation I put together

• 3 weeks later...

Not a church goer either so I have a block of time on Sunday mornings as well.  I have found that over the past several years I've gravitated toward listening to a block of older music on Sunday mornings.  Generally, it's a Mosaic set.  Something like the Django, Venuti/Lang, a big band set, Bailey, Ventura/Phillips.

Still find that I'm reserving Sunday mornings for older stuff. I've got quite a lot more sets now, but I really enjoy coffee and the paper and older jazz. These days, material like the the Billie Holiday Columbia set, Bunny Berigan, Stuff Smith, The Lester Young Verve, Prima/Manone, Charlie Parker make it to the play list.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

This is a good thread! I hadn't realized how much of my Sunday music was even more relaxing than usual.

I started the afternoon with Stan Kenton's New Concepts of Artistry in Rhythm (with Russo and Holman charts), and am now listening to the soundtracks of Our Man Flint and In Like Flint, which are on one CD.

This morning I listened to Beethoven's Third (Bernstein, Vienna Philharmonic, DG), and "The Gellers" downloaded from Verve Vault, and downloaded three lps from http://www.sabadabada.com, Elis' "Como & Porque," and Monk's "Brilliant Corners."

Shortly, it will be Marvin's "What's Goin' On". . . .

Edited by jazzbo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I started this Sunday morning with some tunes from Steely Dan. Had breakfast with a friend in a restaurant at 9:00AM. Was on the road in the Jeep with same friend by 10:30AM. Now it's near 11:30PM and I'm enjoying a late Sunday evening with Thelonious Monk. :cool: