Sunday Morning Music

Sundog

I coach rugby on Sundays and that takes up most of my day, then I have to do the ironing ( my particular job). Then I read and listen to some kind of muisc, not always, but mostly jazz this morning it was the new E.S.T album.

Che.

With all the postings you flood us with daily including Sundays, wonder what kind of rugby coaching you can give...

Hey of course you could always choose to do something else on Sunday, rather than respond to my posts :P

Che.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rugby and Sunday mornings/day go hand in hand for me.

I have little time to listen to music.

Often I take the kids I coach in the car and they have a laugh listening to the jazz I listen to.

Che.

P.S. Rod, that Afro-Latin Soul cover has hypnotized me.................. :blink:

:lol:

Kinda got a Bridgit Riley thing goin' on there really:

I noticed that someone on eBay sold that LP for over $300 :o

I know we've discussed this before, but did you ever check out the "magic eye" cover of this one?

John McLaughlin The Promise

If you can do the "thing" you can see writing, even on this reduced image. I tried it and it worked. Now if I can just uncross my eyes. :wacko:

DC6FC0136EEC432485919AB2E98FDA40.jpg

If you can do the "thing" you can see writing, even on this reduced image. I tried it and it worked. Now if I can just uncross my eyes. :wacko:

I don't think that I've ever been able to do "magic eye."

One eye is slightly nearsighted and the other slightly farsighted

and my brain is always compensating, so that my vision is good,

but often can't see "tricks."

Is the album any good tho?

I enjoy it, it's consistently engaging IMHO. With the wide variety of personnel it's a bit of an *all-star* event, which sometimes can cause it to lack specific focus. This one goes in a lot of different directions, and in this case I think it works well.

Personnel: John McLaughlin (acoustic & electric guitars, midi guitar, keyboards, birds song, percussion); Nishat Khan (vocals, sitar); Mariku Takahasi (vocals); Susana Béatrix (spoken vocals, birds song, percussion); Stephania Bimbi (spoken vocals); David Sanborn (alto saxophone); Michael Brecker (tenor saxophone); Joey DeFrancesco (trumpet, Hammond B-3 organ); Tony Hymas, Jim Beard (keyboards); Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, Philippe Loli (acoustic guitar); Jeff Beck (electric guitar); Yan Maresz (acoustic bass); Pino Palladino, James Genus, Sting (bass); Mark Mondésir, Dennis Chambers, Vinnie Colaiuta (drums); Zakir Hussain (tabla); Toto (birds song, percussion); Don Alias, Trilok Gurtu (percussion).

1. Django

2. Thelonious Melodius

3. Amy And Joseph

4. No Return

5. El Ciego

6. Jazz Jungle

7. Wish, The

8. English Jam

9. Tokyo Decadence

10. Shin Jin Rui

11. Peacocks, The

Edited by Free For All

I enjoy it, it's consistently engaging IMHO. With the wide variety of personnel it's a bit of an *all-star* event, which sometimes can cause it to lack specific focus. This one goes in a lot of different directions, and in this case I think it works well.

Ohhh, I like the variety of instrumentation!

I'm gonna have to get some sample excerpts and listen.

Thanks Paul!

Outside of the Shakti recordings I like 'The Promise' best of all McLaughlin's post-70s recordings.

Good to hear this - I like the Shakti recordings too, but they're another kettle of kheer.

(...Ok, now where's that copy of My Goals Beyond...)

P.S. Rod, that Afro-Latin Soul cover has hypnotized me.................. :blink:

:lol:

Kinda got a Bridgit Riley thing goin' on there really:

I noticed that someone on eBay sold that LP for over $300 :o

I know we've discussed this before, but did you ever check out the "magic eye" cover of this one?

John McLaughlin The Promise

DC6FC0136EEC432485919AB2E98FDA40.jpg

Ha! I always wondered why that cover was so ugly... I never realized it was one of those magic eye things. Cool! :)

Sunday mornings are so beautiful, yet so depressing. You know your last night, (you just spent up all night), is over.

Well not for me after the pain and swelling of playing rugby on Saturday, and then having to get up and coach early on Sunday morning. This is of course not helped by drinking too much in the club house after the match B-)

Che.

I always listen to something with a "church" kind of feel to it. More often than not my Sunday morning choices are of a secular nature but I look for something that has a Sunday morning kind of vibe. Having coffee,dessert and listening to tunes is something I always enjoy doing on a Sunday morning.