Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night, inspired by Paul's thread about vocalists, I was knocked out by Jimmy Jones' bass lead on "Motherless child" by the Harmonizing Four (from a Charly comp of their Vee--Jay recordings). The greatest bass lead ever!

And at breakfast this morning, by "Stardust" by Lionel Hampton's Just Jazz All Stars, from "The legendary Decca recordings of LH". This is with Charlie Shavers (tp), Willie Smith (as), Corky Corcoran (ts) - all three of whom are in top form on this; great solos. Live at Pasadena, 4 Aug 1947.

MG

Last night, inspired by Paul's thread about vocalists, I was knocked out by Jimmy Jones' bass lead on "Motherless child" by the Harmonizing Four (from a Charly comp of their Vee--Jay recordings). The greatest bass lead ever!

MG

Thanks for mentioning that track, MG. I hadn't listened to the Harmonizing Four in a while, & it was time. Beautiful vocal by Jimmy Jones. The Harmonizing Four weren't as flamboyant as some of the classic gospel quartets of the 50's, but they were right up there with the best.

Edited by paul secor

The Dirty Mac (John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards (bass), Mitch Mitchell) playing "Yer Blues" on The Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus, and just wondering what might've been. These guys more than clicked.

Also, Charles Mingus entire OH YEAH album just because it made me say "OH YEAH!!!"

"You, Mysterious You" by The Originals. Words fail me on this one, other than to say that.....words fail me. There's really nothing else quite like this, at least not that I know of, especially in the Motown oeuvre as of 1969. Stunning in its subtle yet thoroughly era-bending originality, totally predictable in its subsequent obscurity.

Not heard until Saturday night, and not posted until now becuase I wanted to make sure I was hearing what I thought I was hearing. I was.

The Dirty Mac (John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards (bass), Mitch Mitchell) playing "Yer Blues" on The Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus, and just wondering what might've been. These guys more than clicked.

Also, Charles Mingus entire OH YEAH album just because it made me say "OH YEAH!!!"

There's more "Oh Yeah" on Tonight at Noon.

Oh yeah! I should've been more specific and mentioned that I was listening to the Rhino CD of the album (thanks to a fruitful stop at the Arlington Half-Price Books where someone had unloaded all three of Mingus' Atlantic Rhino CDs), the one that has all six tracks from that session.

Oh Yeah indeed! :)

Edited by Big Al

Oh yeah! I should've been more specific and mentioned that I was listening to the Rhino CD of the album (thanks to a fruitful stop at the Arlington Half-Price Books where someone had unloaded all three of Mingus' Atlantic Rhino CDs), the one that has all six tracks from that session.

There's an amazing incomplete version of Hog Callin' Blues on the Birdland Broadcasts, with Yusef Lateef playing solo tenor, and Kirk playing background riffs--it is fantastic, but then the tape abruptly ends after little more than 3 minutes.

Edited by kh1958

Al, the complete version would have 10 tracks - 7 from the original album and 3 more from Tonight At Noon.

Al, the complete version would have 10 tracks - 7 from the original album and 3 more from Tonight At Noon.

You are correct. I was posting last night without the CD in front of me; I have all three with me at work right now and I realize I was thinking of THE CLOWN disc, which has the four original LP tracks and two tracks that ended up on TONIGHT AT NOON.

I really shouldn't post after midnight. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hell, if I know why, but Mary Wells' "You Beat Me To The Punch" is really resonating right now. The whole thing, song, arrangement, sound of the record, and especially Wells' phrasing & enunciation, which is deeply, soulfully sexy, maybe more so than I'd noticed before.

Hardly the Greatest Music Ever Made, but oh well about that. Great will always be there. It's the transient treasures that give flavor & dimension.

Edited by JSngry