The quit smoking thread

Yeah, best of luck to Paps and anyone else who's quitting - though it isn't luck at all.

What FFA said is quite right - you can quit if YOU want to, not if you're under pressure from family or whomever to do so.

I don't want to quit. I smoke 2.8g of tobacco a day in 10 very thin cigarettes. The cost, even with high tobacco taxes here, is not a motivating factor in getting me to quit, though it did help cut down from 7g a day when I retired. Nor's the health aspect; I'm going to die of something and I may as well die of something I like doing.

A friend has a good way - he hasn't quit, either - he just hasn't bought his next packet of cigarettes yet. He bought his last packet forty years ago. (There's something very Simpson-ish about that, I think.)

MG

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chantix is designed to be used to gradually quit smoking. You're supposed to give in to the cravings at first, and over the course of the treatment, as they become fewer and far between, you've weaned yourself out of that obsessive/compulsive craving phase.

Don't mean to be an alarnist either, but I've never heard of it being used in conjunction with other drugs like this, especially to induce cold turkey.

I never smoked, but observed something interesting at my former workplace. There were 4 or 5 male co-workers (out of approx. 30 employees) who quit smoking cold turkey - I think that there was only one male who remained a smoker there - while there were 6 or 7 women who smoked, several of whom tried to quit and weren't able to. Has anyone else noticed this pattern? Most posters on this Board are male.

I failed on my first attempt to kick the habit, but then I looked for the mildest cigarettes I could find, and switched to that brand. The next time I tried to quit, I actually succeeded--it wasn't easy, but images of people with emphysema always helped. It took quite a while before the smell of cigarettes started bothering me--in my first year or two of not smoking, I liked being around smokers, booked seats in smoking sections, etc. Now it really bothers me when people smoke in my presence. I put up with it, because I recall what it was like to be on the other side, but I find that my group of smoking friends has dwindled, considerably. Sad to say, that is partly because the cigarettes killed them, but the legion of quitters is growing.

Good luck, Papsrus.

I never smoked, but observed something interesting at my former workplace. There were 4 or 5 male co-workers (out of approx. 30 employees) who quit smoking cold turkey - I think that there was only one male who remained a smoker there - while there were 6 or 7 women who smoked, several of whom tried to quit and weren't able to. Has anyone else noticed this pattern? Most posters on this Board are male.

I have noticed more of a racial pattern rather than a gender one. It is alarming how many of my black friends continue to smoke--that goes for the younger generation, too. They have nearly all switched to menthol cigarettes, but those are just as deadly, I understand.

Not to bring a downer into the thread, but I guess it's about time to confess that I started smoking again when things started going south with Barb. After nine years of not smoking.

I sure hope it doesn't take me twenty years to quit again; if I keep smoking I might not have twenty years...

Perfectly understandable. One of the mantras at this place I went to is this: There's no shame in falling off the horse. Just have the nuts to get right back up and try again.

Also, as I'm sure you know, nicotine is a stimulant. Smoking only seems to calm you down because you're satisfying your dependence on nicotine. But it is a stimulant you're taking. Kind of an odd thing, when you think about it -- taking a stimulant to calm down.

Good luck, papsrus, with the quitting.

I've never smoked - don't know if it was fear of my father finding out or just a natural inclination to avoid doing things that made you hip. I did quit chocolate cold turkey seven years back (you only have to try chocolate cold turkey once and you'll never eat chocolate or turkey again!).

I'm always saddened when I see wonderful kids I teach or have taught out and about 'with a fag on'. Part of the rituals of growing up for many, I know, but if only we could persuade them otherwise. The lure of the image of casually puffing the cigarette seems to overcome all the science we can throw at them.

Thanks Bev. I began in childhood just like many of these kids you teach. And as I mentioned to Seeline, smoking is in many ways a juvenile behavior. An adult should realize that the product is simply a very harmful addiction (and now a very expensive one too) with no redeeming qualities at all.

Chantix is designed to be used to gradually quit smoking. You're supposed to give in to the cravings at first, and over the course of the treatment, as they become fewer and far between, you've weaned yourself out of that obsessive/compulsive craving phase.

Don't mean to be an alarnist either, but I've never heard of it being used in conjunction with other drugs like this, especially to induce cold turkey.

My understanding is that this combination of drugs is designed to significantly reduce the cravings and calm you down. I will have to be weaned off of the Chantix. I understand this.

Someone else asked how often the initial shot is administered. It's just once (unless you relapse, I guess).

It's odd, the success rate for this treatment is very high over the first few months, but for some reason a certain percentage of people go back to smoking after 6 months or a year. There is no physical addiction at that point. I think it's that old mental trick you play on yourself where you say, "I can quit anytime, so why not have just a puff or two now." The other mantra this place has is this: You are one puff away from being a pack-a-day smoker again.

I can never have another cigarette. Fortunately, that's the way I want it.

I did the Chantix thing a year ago, and it worked as advertised. I've since gained weight in spite of exercising, which sucks donqui dix, but...

My girlfriend was doing Chantix but was never able to quit 100%.

She also experienced weight gain even though like you she is exercising regularly.

I am glad I never started smoking. My dad was a smoker since the age of 12 and it's the one vice he could not quit. He was a strong, stubborn man. He quit smoking pot cold turkey. He quit drinking last year, after being a full-fledged alcoholic for a long time, cold turkey. But he could not quit smoking. Nicotine is an extremely powerful drug.

I'm sure it shortened his life, but at least he never had to suffer from the worst side effects. I am thankful that I don't smoke and my kids don't have to grow up in a smoker's house, like I did.

Good luck with quitting. If you get a craving, post here first and get some backup!!! :)

I've never encountered anyone who didn't gain some weight when they quit smoking. Nicotine is a stimulant as James mentions, and your metabolism is increased if you smoke probably more than half a pack a day. (I smoked two packs a day for a long time).

I gained weight, but all the women who love me were happy because I was too thin from birth til 35.

There is no physical addiction at that point. I think it's that old mental trick you play on yourself where you say, "I can quit anytime, so why not have just a puff or two now."

Yeah, that's what I thought. I forgot about the mental preparation I had to go through in order to be successful the first time.

Edited by Jazzmoose

There is no physical addiction at that point. I think it's that old mental trick you play on yourself where you say, "I can quit anytime, so why not have just a puff or two now."

Yeah, that's what I thought. I forgot about the mental preparation I had to go through in order to be successful the first time.

In some cases, that "old mental trick" works. A longtime smoker who quit.....then started up, off & on, when my wife's health problems started in back in 2001, I finally decided that the best way to go was to allow myself the pleasure of smoking perhaps a half-dozen times a year. Sounds nuts, but I basically 'pre-plan' to smoke during various trips/events or during long weekend get togethers with old friends and then stop again. Last time I smoked was over a long weekend in mid-May and I'll be breaking out the Camels again this July 3rd and will smoke like a chimney 'till Monday. At that point, I won't touch them again 'till another mid-August get together and then probably not again 'till late Nov. Obviously, it's best to ditch the pack entirely......but alternatives do exist provided you psych yourself up properly.

I stopped over thirty years ago, in my early thirties, I was getting through more than 20 a day. I was a lot less well off then but there were perhaps half a dozen essgential records to buy - so all that month's ciggie money went on lps. It worked with a bit of help fom chewing gum. Good luck to all you quitters.

It's odd, the success rate for this treatment is very high over the first few months, but for some reason a certain percentage of people go back to smoking after 6 months or a year.

From what I understand, no matter WHAT quitting regimen is used, a certain percentage eventually go back to smoking. It's a powerful drug, and the addiction is both physical and psychological.

It's odd, the success rate for this treatment is very high over the first few months, but for some reason a certain percentage of people go back to smoking after 6 months or a year.

From what I understand, no matter WHAT quitting regimen is used, a certain percentage eventually go back to smoking. It's a powerful drug, and the addiction is both physical and psychological.

It is completely irrational behavior though, isn't it? After the first month (less actually) you've beaten the physical addiction. If your reasons for quitting were strong enough in the first place (avoid serious health problems and extend you life, hopefully) then it makes no sense to ever pick up another cigarette, particularly when you know it is going to lead to a relapse and within days you'll be back to a pack a day. Virtually no ex-smoker ever smokes just one. Just like no alcoholic can have just one drink.

The best information they gave me was, when the cravings do come, they'll only last 2-5 minutes, whether you act on them or not. It's a big relief to know that. Still haven't had any though.

Son-of-a-Weizen is a rare cat, I think, who can smoke every so often and them put them down for long periods. I don't think that would work for the vast majority of ex-smokers. I'm certainly not going to test the theory. :cool:

as far as i understand the physical addiction is over after three or four weeks of not smoking... personal experience is that, the first two days are essentially about "breaking the habit"; nothing strange happens to you when you don't smoke you just have to keep from buying the next pack... (that's why people who actually smoke a cigarette every hour can stay away from cigarettes for, say, a day or so on a plane or in other places where you cannot smoke); then come a few days of depression but at least for me these were always over by the end of the first week... and knowing where it comes from helps not to take it too seriously; and then you have to remain serious enough about not smoking, you have to remember it never really helped you or whatever... the tough part for me... because there will always be a few cigarettes that you remember quite fondly... (for instance you have to think "i took it as an anti-depressant but were i really less depressive than i am now"... not surprisingly i started again during a period when i cried like three times a day without any apparent reason :D )

started at 17, the day my father died, but actually, i guess, i really started because i hated school (not that would be a good reason for anything)... always smoked alone (though a few of my friends started subsequently... and there actually are two or three fine people out there who still smoke the brand that i used to smoke back in the day... don't know what part i played in that but you never know, it makes me feel uncomfortable) ... funny thing is, even when i was 13 i knew that if i ever started smoking i would not be able to quit easily, fits my nervous personality too much...

Edited by Niko

That's right. Addictions are cunning, baffling and powerful. One minute you're clean and out of nowhere you're doing it again. One fellow I know always tells how he left his lawn mower running to get a drink, spent the day in the bar and totally forgot about cutting the grass. Out of the blue it confuses you...

as far as i understand the physical addiction is over after three or four weeks of not smoking... personal experience is that, the first two days are essentially about "breaking the habit"; nothing strange happens to you when you don't smoke you just have to keep from buying the next pack... (that's why people who actually smoke a cigarette every hour can stay away from cigarettes for, say, a day or so on a plane or in other places where you cannot smoke); then come a few days of depression but at least for me these were always over by the end of the first week... and knowing where it comes from helps not to take it too seriously; and then you have to remain serious enough about not smoking, you have to remember it never really helped you or whatever... the tough part for me... because there will always be a few cigarettes that you remember quite fondly...

started at 17, the day my father died, but actually, i guess, i really started because i hated school (not that would be a good reason for anything)... always smoked alone (though a few of my friends started subsequently... and there actually are two or three fine people out there who still smoke the brand that i used to smoke back in the day... don't know what part i played in that but you never know, it makes me feel uncomfortable) ... funny thing is, even when i was 13 i knew that if i ever started smoking i would not be able to quit easily, fits my nervous personality too much...

Some of what you've said here reinforces for me the notion that smoking is at its core a childish behavior. (apologies to anyone who still smokes). Many smokers start when they are literally children -- 14, 15, 16 years old. As adults, we recognize a lot of the things we did when we were children were stupid and harmful. Smoking is one of those things. We just wanted to be cool and our long-term thinking didn't extend past our next summer vacation anyways. And so part of breaking the behavioral patterns associated with smoking involve confronting this, I think. Smoking is simply not a mature thing to do. Even less so when you can see plain as day what it's doing to your health.

I'm only on Day 3, but I do not want to turn into one of the anti-smoking nuts. I understand all too well why perfectly rational and otherwise healthy people chose to do it. But if I don't stop, I'm going to be in trouble sooner rather than later, health-wise.

I quit in 1996 after 17 years (I used the nicotine gum), started smoking weekends only (surprisingly succsessfully- only when drinking, only Fri/Sat) in '97, and was done for good by 2003 when my son was born. Never liked it when my dad smoked around me when I was a kid.

I still missed it for a couple years, not now though. Sometimes, though, when the weather is right (dry, cool) and someone lights up it smells really good.

Good luck!

Edited by sjarrell

Have never smoked myself other than the occasional cigarillo as a teen. My dad used to be a very heavy smoker though, in common with most guys his generation until around 35 years ago. Stopped after seeing a TV documentary where they disected a heavy smoker's lung and the black gunk oozed out. Freaked him out (as it did me too) and he's never touched them since. First year was the worst I understand but these days he can't stand the smell of the stuff or being near smokers.

Good luck to anyone on the board who is currently working to quit. JohnS's point that you can spend the savings on jazz LPs/CDs is a great incentive, I would think.

Edited by sidewinder

I'm only on Day 3, but I do not want to turn into one of the anti-smoking nuts. I understand all too well why perfectly rational and otherwise healthy people chose to do it. But if I don't stop, I'm going to be in trouble sooner rather than later, health-wise.

guess i should really stop smoking before i stop being childish... you don't come across as an anti-smoking nut (and as i said some hard parts of quitting are still ahead of you i guess...) wishing you all the best (and maybe i'll make another try like... tommorrow... will make another try)

I started smoking around 1975 and quit in 1994. I think the most important thing to remember is that if you start again it doesn't mean you can't quit again. I probably quit for 1 to 3 months 4-5 times before quitting for good. It helps that smoking is not allowed in restaurants and bars.

My dad used to be a very heavy smoker though, in common with most guys his generation until around 35 years ago. Stopped after seeing a TV documentary where they disected a heavy smoker's lung and the black gunk oozed out. Freaked him out (as it did me too) and he's never touched them since.

My father was a heavy smoker. Then one day at work, a presentation was made of a health program that was being syndicated. The debut episode was being shown to the salesman to get a feeling for whether they felt the show could be sold in syndication. The featured topic was the dangers of smoking. At the end of the screening, my father took his pack of cigarettes and threw them on the table. Everyone laughed, and at the end of the meeting, someone picked up the pack and tried to give it back to him. And he said, "No, I was serious. I'll never smoke again."

And he didn't. (He's always been proud of his willpower, it was the same when he stopped drinking)

And for those who have been heavy smokers in the past - the damage you've done never really heals itself. 25 years after my father quit smoking, he was hospitalized with pneumonia, and the doctors told him they could tell he had been a heavy smoker.

And yet, the pernicious weed still exerts its control - my younger brother is a cancer survivor (lymphoma) who never completely quit smoking and returned to it afterwards, and my sister never quit either.