The Vice-Prez

ghost of miles

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when Dave Schildkraut did a concert for me in New Haven in 1978 he played a lot of tenor - at one point he began to do this uncanny imitation of Prez, a la 1950s - a moaning, sliding, sound - Curley Russell was in the audience and he yelled "Yeah DAVE!" at that moment, and Bill Triglia, who was playing piano, looked up with this big grin on his face - in my life I have NEVER heard anyone channel Prez the way Dave did at that moment - nice stuff -

when Dave Schildkraut did a concert for me in New Haven in 1978 he played a lot of tenor - at one point he began to do this uncanny imitation of Prez, a la 1950s - a moaning, sliding, sound - Curley Russell was in the audience and he yelled "Yeah DAVE!" at that moment, and Bill Triglia, who was playing piano, looked up with this big grin on his face - in my life I have NEVER heard anyone channel Prez the way Dave did at that moment - nice stuff -

Otherwise, Dave sounded a lot like Bird on tenor. Am I right?

Otherwise, Dave sounded a lot like Bird on tenor. Am I right?

will take the cue and put on schildkraut on tenor now (from the schildkraut cd, which allen might still be selling?), definitely recall him sounding very fine on it :)

Evidently I must re-calibrate my Prez ears, because the mention of Cliff Jordan is rather surprising.

I admit, the mention of Cliff Jordan was a little silly, and due mainly to my listening to three of his albums in a row and having him on my mind like a tune you can't get out. (So sue me.) :P

Since the choices have drifted a bit, let me mention Chas Burchell channeling Lester through Warne Marsh.

Talk of tenors " channeling Lester through Warne Marsh " , puts me in mind of Teo Macero , who coincidentally was born on the same day ( October 30 , 1925 ) as Mr. Burchell .

Edited by Chas

Early Hans Koller, definitively - but later on he went places... his playing on the marvellous Oscar Pettiford Black Lion album (with Attila Zoller and Jimmy Pratt) is great - after that the next thing I know are his MPS albums, the first of those ("Exclusive") has some more tracks with that Pettiford group, but after that, Koller opened up wide!

How about Bill Holman and Jimmy Giuffre?

Giuffre, yes, up to a point in time (1959, probably, when he tried to incorporate Rollins almost wholesale, with strange though sometimes interesting results); Holman almost never IMO, though his sound was softer early on than it became.

re-Giuffre - strangely enough I went to hear Giuffre at Jimmy Weston's in NYC, maybe some time around 1974-75; he played tenor with the house rhythm section, which was very "trad" sounding" and basically just did a Prez the whole time - I think Herb Hall was playing clarinet, but other than that I cannot remember who was in the band -

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...