Six new Monterey Jazz Festival Releases

jazzbo

I'm only just catching up with the first batch (and I still need all of those Verve Newport 1957 releases as well, except for Basie and Dizzy where I have the old versions). Glad to say this second batch looks much less interesting to me... also why are the Giants of Jazz billed as Blakey & ... ?

The Shirley Horn will be of interest, eventually, and also the Tjader.

And as far as Witherspoon is concerned, his "The Concerts" twofer (one of the two original albums being from Monterey, a bonus track of which is also on the new CD) is highly recommended - wonderful singing, and two great bands, including Roy Eldridge, Ben Webster, Gerry Mulligan, Jimmy Rowles and others.

why are the Giants of Jazz billed as Blakey & ... ?

So that they can include cuts from it on the future releases "Art Blakey Plays for Lovers", "Art Blakey Concord Profiles", "Best of Art Blakey", "Art Blakey Bluesing", "Art Blakey Jazz Showcase" and "Brushed Art", Silly! :crazy:

Edited by felser

I just heard the Giants of Jazz release. Very nice! Eldridge blows up a storm (surprise, surprise). Monk plays also plays very well for the time, and I love hearing him "mess up" standards that were not a part of his regular repertoire. Of the Giants of Jazz releases that I have heard, this is probably my favorite.

• 4 weeks later...

I just heard the Giants of Jazz release. Very nice! Eldridge blows up a storm (surprise, surprise). Monk plays also plays very well for the time, and I love hearing him "mess up" standards that were not a part of his regular repertoire. Of the Giants of Jazz releases that I have heard, this is probably my favorite.

i agree this is a smokin' set! why it was released as art blakey and the giants of jazz is a mystery to me though.