• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's overkill still, but here's more info from AAJ:

kindofbluebox.jpg

"Disc 1 of Kind of Blue: 50th Anniversary Collectors Edition will feature the original album in its entirety with the “Flamenco Sketches" alternate take, the rare “Freddie Freeloader" false start, and a selection of in-the-studio dialog from the Kind of Blue sessions. Disc 2 is a CD of rare musical material circa the Kind of Blue recordings including the very first session by the classic Miles Davis sextet (May 26, 1958 -- Davis's 32nd birthday -- with Adderley, Coltrane, Evans, Chambers and Cobb), more than a half hour's worth of studio material -- “On Green Dolphin Street," “Fran-Dance," “Stella By Starlight," “Love For Sale" -- previously available only on the two-time Grammy award winning Miles Davis & John Coltrane boxed set ("The Complete Columbia Recordings 1955-1961); and the first authorized release of two extended live performances: “So What" from the April 9, 1960 Den Haag Concert featuring Miles, Coltrane, Kelly, Chambers and Cobb; and “All Blues" from the April 8, 1960 Zurich Concert (featuring the same band). The final disc, Disc 3, is a DVD including an in-depth documentary illuminating the story behind Kind of Blue; and the historic April 2, 1959 television program “Robert Herridge Theater: The Sound of Miles Davis" starring Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

This deluxe Collector's Edition will also include a vinyl LP copy of Kind of Blue, a poster, and an LP-sized 60-page hardbound book. "

So from the looks of it, the only previously unreleased material on CD are the two live tracks.

So from the looks of it, the only previously unreleased material on CD are the two live tracks.

Both these tracks have been out before, perhaps not legitimately.

The Zurich concert (4/8/60) is on Jazz Unlimited 2031.

The Netherlands concert (4/9/60) is on Unique Jazz 19 and Natasha 4002.

Yes, I think the Zurich is not legitimate either... another stupid decision along the lines of including just one of the Newport 1955 tracks on the 2CD edition of "Round About Midnight"...

And what crap about the "Love for Sale" etc. session only being on the box? I thought it was on one of those old Legacy CDs (1958 Session or Stella By Starlight or whatever, never owned it), and of course it was on vinyl before that...

Have the Zurich Jazz Unlimited edition and I'm not sure if its legit either (although it looks professionally done especially the cd booklet) and the sound is very very good; so I guess that would leave just one live track that I don't have.....think I'll pass.

Don't have a turntable either so the record is completely useless as well.

Have the Zurich Jazz Unlimited edition and I'm not sure if its legit either (although it looks professionally done especially the cd booklet) and the sound is very very good; so I guess that would leave just one live track that I don't have.....think I'll pass.

Jazz Unlimited was a wing of Storyville, based in Denmark. They issued their "grey area" material on JU. Unique Jazz and Natasha are definitely bootleg releases.

Let's see: how many iterations of KOB have I owned:

1) Lp

2) Original cd.

3) Gold Disc (still the best sounding)

4) SACD

5)Miles/Trane box

6) Duo disc with DVD included.

I still own the last 4.

And since I also have cds of the 2 European concerts and Ashley what's-his-name's book, I think I'll pass on the new one.

It was only recently that I got to hear ALL of the Robert Herridge TV performance, thanks to Youtube and Dailymotion. That material is outstanding and should have been put onto a CD long ago.

Trane's solo on the TV "So What" is a spine-tingler, and totally different from the LP solo. You can see some of the musicians in the wings (Frank Rehak and others) really digging it.

Interesting to see Trane drafted into Gil's band on alto. (Cannonball would probably have done it, but was not well that day.)

I currently own three copies of KOB.

1) LP

2) Gold CD

3) 1997 CD edition with bonus alternate of "Flamenco Sketches"

I also have the Ashley Kahn book.

If the few tracks I don't have turn up on iTunes, I'll probably just buy those there to round the whole shebang out. I certainly don't need another LP copy (even if it IS speed corrected. Personally, I kind of like having the original LP version with the incorrect speed. It allows me to listen to the album as it was originally heard, even if it wasn't MEANT to be heard that way).

I don't agree about the original, out-of-tune LP (though it DID sound great if you were not aware of the sharp pitch). Try playing along with it, as I did, as a fledgling alto player. It was very hard to tune to it, and back then I didn't know about the fault with the Columbia tape recorder.

I don't agree about the original, out-of-tune LP (though it DID sound great if you were not aware of the sharp pitch). Try playing along with it, as I did, as a fledgling alto player. It was very hard to tune to it, and back then I didn't know about the fault with the Columbia tape recorder.

Must have been some divine purpose behind the early issues. :ph34r:

It was only recently that I got to hear ALL of the Robert Herridge TV performance, thanks to Youtube and Dailymotion. That material is outstanding and should have been put onto a CD long ago.

Trane's solo on the TV "So What" is a spine-tingler, and totally different from the LP solo. You can see some of the musicians in the wings (Frank Rehak and others) really digging it.

Interesting to see Trane drafted into Gil's band on alto. (Cannonball would probably have done it, but was not well that day.)

It's available on an amazing 2 DVD set that also includes Jammin' the Blues, the Dizzy/Bird tv appearance, the 2nd Norman Granz film "Improvisation" with Bird, Bean and Prez and The Sound of Jazz. It's rightfuly called " The Greatets Jazz Films Ever."

However it is possible that the Sony release will look better. They may have access to the original materials since the show was not shown live. That would suggest that CBS would have made sure that they had good film materials for later broadcast. I believe that The Sound of Jazz was broadcast live and the best extant prints are Kines. Unfortunately that may also be true of The Sound of Miles Davis-- I'm not sure what the technology was for recording multiple camera tv shows at the time. I believe it was before video tape was commonly used .

1) LP

2) Gold CD

If the few tracks I don't have turn up on iTunes, I'll probably just buy those there to round the whole shebang out. I certainly don't need another LP copy (even if it IS speed corrected. Personally, I kind of like having the original LP version with the incorrect speed. It allows me to listen to the album as it was originally heard, even if it wasn't MEANT to be heard that way).

I've got the same except for the gold CD. And frankly, I prefer the old LP with the uncorrected speed. That's the sound I've been used to since 1979. Ever since first hearing about this incorrect pitch question I've found it hard to believe that Miles Davis would let all those years go by without kicking up a big stink if the pitch was really such an important issue. But I had to have SOME digital version of the album, so I figured it might as well be one with the correct front cover. (Remember the earlier CD edition with the ugly Columbia masterworks blue-border and the 70's space-cadet photo of Davis inside the border? That was kind of like re-issuing Rubber Soul with a picture of Abbey Road-era Beatles on the cover. And, gee, it's only one of the most---some would say THE most---famous jazz albums of all time, so what the fuck, who'll notice?)

1) LP

2) Gold CD

I've got the same except for the gold CD. And frankly, I prefer the old LP with the uncorrected speed. That's the sound I've been used to since 1979. Ever since first hearing about this incorrect pitch question I've found it hard to believe that Miles Davis would let all those years go by without kicking up a big stink if the pitch was really such an important issue. But I had to have SOME digital version of the album, so I figured it might as well be one with the correct front cover. (Remember the earlier CD edition with the ugly Columbia masterworks blue-border and the 70's space-cadet photo of Davis inside the border? That was kind of like re-issuing Rubber Soul with a picture of Abbey Road-era Beatles on the cover. And, gee, it's only one of the most---some would say THE most---famous jazz albums of all time, so what the fuck, who'll notice?)

Yeah, that CD cover was the WORST. It was one of the first jazz CDs I owned, but even then I thought it was an ugly cover.

The "Greatest Jazz Films" DVDs are great - but I think they ought to be considered boots, too.... they're on idem Home Video or soemthing, and that label's distributed by Fresh Sound... anyway, even weirder is that the same distributor/label carries two series of "Jazz Casual", one called like that, combining two shows on short DVDs, the other series called "20th Century Jazz Masters", combining 3-4 "Jazz Casual" shows, both contain the complete series, I think... all rather shady stuff. The "Greatest Jazz Films" is also available on two single DVDs (which is how I have it), one being mainly the 1957 "Sound of Jazz" with some bonus material, the other being "Jammin' the Blues", the Herridge Davis TV show, plus the second Mili film, plus some more. Glorious, all of it, that's for sure, but weird editions, nevertheless.