Kind of Blue reissue

Aggie87

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the best sounding versions to my ears are the Japanese DSD remastered cd and the US SACD. I have one of the lp versions, the gold cd, the box set version, and the DSD remastered cd and the SACD.

I no longer have my SACD set -up (had to get new amp for HDTV) but my memory is that they'd changed the placement of the bass on the SACD. Not that the original was necessarily more "correct"-- just what i was used to hearing for more than 30 years.

I think the best sounding versions to my ears are the Japanese DSD remastered cd and the US SACD. I have one of the lp versions, the gold cd, the box set version, and the DSD remastered cd and the SACD.

I no longer have my SACD set -up (had to get new amp for HDTV) but my memory is that they'd changed the placement of the bass on the SACD. Not that the original was necessarily more "correct"-- just what i was used to hearing for more than 30 years.

Doesn't seem any different to me than the cd and box set versions in any "mix" or placement sense.

I wonder if KoB ultimately trumps 'Blue Train' on the reissue treadmill? Another version (Super High Quality Material) is due out in Japan in Sept.

TOCJ 90024 (HQ CD) Coltrane,John(ts) Blue Train 2600 Yen

Don't forget Analogue Productions SACD of Blue Train comming up!!!

I've got the same except for the gold CD. And frankly, I prefer the old LP with the uncorrected speed. That's the sound I've been used to since 1979. Ever since first hearing about this incorrect pitch question I've found it hard to believe that Miles Davis would let all those years go by without kicking up a big stink if the pitch was really such an important issue.

Maybe Miles didn't notice. It was not obvious unless you tried to play along with it. I for one didn't know about the tape recorder fault until a recent CD came out. I just thought maybe I was out of tune. I think I read somewhere that Miles said that he could not stand listening to his own albums. so it's even possible that he never listened to it.

This clumsy error was typical of Columbia. Others included the failure to issue "Miles Ahead", "Milestones" and the "Green Dolphin Street" session in stereo (I'm talking LPs here), and the later issue of these with horrible fake stereo - all they did was add a reverb to the mono. This also happened to Louis Armstrong's W.C. Handy LP, at which point they even lost the original mono master tapes!

I was thinking about this the other day and realized that I've been listening to KOB for nearly 50 years, not 30. Got it from the Columbia record club when it first came out. I guess I'm older than I think.

• 1 month later...

And some of you guys complain about the Hoffman board! :lol:

I didn't read this thread at times, but at this point I agree with you.

I appreciated also the witty comments above.

I pity the poor boys at marketing survey division at Sony that have to report the jazz website's reviews:

'Well, what about our new reissue of KOB?'

'Actually, Sir, someone are complaining about the 'dildo version'.

'The dildo version? Who's the guy who authorized the dildo version? I want him now here! And I want to know how much that dildo's shit cost to us!!'

Some sort of, sorry for my English.

I enjoy my set but again I haven't owned 1 million copies of KOB. I like having official versions of the false starts, the live cut, the '58 Miles session, and the book. I think my vinyl is fine I have checked it, I plan to frame it. I put the discs in regular cases, some rub marks from the package but they don't affect play. This is why I dislike the ECM Touchstone series design, my copy of Jack DeJohnette's "Special Edition" is scratched up

I enjoy my set but again I haven't owned 1 million copies of KOB. I like having official versions of the false starts, the live cut, the '58 Miles session, and the book. I think my vinyl is fine I have checked it, I plan to frame it. I put the discs in regular cases, some rub marks from the package but they don't affect play. This is why I dislike the ECM Touchstone series design, my copy of Jack DeJohnette's "Special Edition" is scratched up

Ok, now I can fess up. I bought the set too. I've been into jazz for just under 10 years. My first copy of KOB was the pitch-corrected re-issue. So this set, with all the extras was worth my time and $.

I however received a set from Amazon that had rub marks on the discs that DID affect playback. When are these packing designers going to learn? Just put the discs in a flippin' jewel case...a sleeve...ANYTHING that protects the surface of the disc. While I wouldn't wish a defective set on anyone maybe if there are enough scratched discs the manufacturers will get a clue. Probably not.