• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found this 7" 45rpm EP yesterday:

(Image removed)

:excited::excited::excited:

The cover is sooooooooooooooooo cool!

None of the music is new, and I have no idea how rare it is (I paid around 10$ for it)

Info from ayler.co.uk:

Tracks 2, 6 and 10 released as an EP which was attached to a booklet published in Italy by Fratelli Fabbri Editore in 1969. Pictures of the EP sleeve and the booklet are below.

At first I thought, "Man, that is cool." Then I noticed the fact that it's a 45/7-inch. Now THAT is extra-COOL!

not sure if any of these qualify for "great finds", the vinyl is mostly ok (I don't speak that lingo where "good" means so beat-up you'll never be able to spin it again, in my world "good" means "good") and the covers somewhat beat-up in various degrees.

The Supremes - A' Go-Go (Stereo)

Inside Sauter-Finegan (RCA Victor LJM-1003, foldout)

Jazz Omnibus: A Cross-Section of Jazz Today, in All Its Styles (Columbia CL 1020)

Stan Kenton - Back to Balboa (Capitol T995)

Lionel Hampton - Golden Vibes (Columbia CL 1304)

Lionel Hampton - Silver Vibes (Columbia CS 8277)

Like Cool - The Contemporary Trombone of Eddie Bert (Somerset P-5200)

The Dave Pell Octet - The Old South Wails (Capitol T1512)

Erroll Garner - Paris Impressions, Vol. 1 (Columbia CS 8131)

The Jonah Jones Quartet - Broadway Swings Again (Capitol T1641)

Teo Macero - Acoustical Suspension (Teresa FW40111)

We Three - Dinah, Joe, & Sarah (Dinah Washington, Joe Williams, Sarah Vaughan) (Roulette R 52108)

Dionne Warwick - The Windows of the World (Scepter SPS 563) (punchhole)

could have picked up plenty of beat-up Four Freshmen Capitols, too, but the above was enough (and cost me around 40$)

Tell me which ones to get and I'll be back... I've not heard a single tune by them yet.

He ! :D No sure what to specifically recommend Ubu - the album with the trombones is a good one. I knosw that my Mosaic 'Frosh' gathers dust and I really should play it more than I do. It's actually pretty good !

The ones recorded with Stan kenton's Orchestra and also the 'Five Saxes'(Dave Pell, Bud Shank, Bob Cooper etc.) are well worth getting too !

So far on my 'de-dusting' of the Mosaic set the sound quality is much more than OK, although I've not got the 'Five Trombones' session yet.

Some great Milt Bernhart solos on these sessions.

OK, I went back to see what Four Freshmen were left... not as many there as I thought I'd seen, either someone went there after me on Saturday or my memory was playing tricks. Anyway, today's haul (for 20 bucks):

The Four Freshmen - Voices in Love

The Four Freshmen - Stars in Our Eyes

The Four Freshmen - In Person

The Four Freshmen - The Swingers: 12 Jazz Favorites by The Four Freshmen

and:

Johnny Dankworth - England's Ambassador of Jazz (Roulette R 52040)

Red Rodney & Ira Sullivan - Spirit Within (Elektra Musician)

as well as:

Dionne Warwick - Make Way for Dionne Warwick (Scepter)

Dionne Warwick - Promises, Promices (Scepter)

Roberta Flack - First Take (Atlantic)

A recent BBC4 Dankworth Tribute documentary had home cine film of them all getting off the TWA aircraft in NYC. The same view shown on the front of that LP. A very young Kenny Wheeler amongst them !

That Roulette LP must be the US issue of the Top Rank UK LP.

OK, I went back to see what Four Freshmen were left... not as many there as I thought I'd seen, either someone went there after me on Saturday

Maybe someone checked out this site? :unsure:

A recent BBC4 Dankworth Tribute documentary had home cine film of them all getting off the TWA aircraft in NYC. The same view shown on the front of that LP. A very young Kenny Wheeler amongst them !

That Roulette LP must be the US issue of the Top Rank UK LP.

OK, I went back to see what Four Freshmen were left... not as many there as I thought I'd seen, either someone went there after me on Saturday

Maybe someone checked out this site? :unsure:

The Roulette album is from London (says Bruyninckx) and doesn't include Wheeler - but it's pretty nice, it was the first of the bunch that I put on the turntable.

Played all four Froshs, too - the first two (that would be in the Mosaic) are in pretty bad shape (including a couple of scratches that have the needle stuck), but the two later ones are ok, and the fourth was done by Bill Holman and is the jazziest, and from my initial reaction, the best of these four. Enjoyable music, for sure!

The Roberta Flack debut is impressive, wow! Had no idea! All I had so far was the CD reissue of "Killing Me Soflty", now the album with Donny Hathaway (on CD) is on its way, too.

And I'm starting to really appreciate Dionne Warwick, too! Playing "Promises, Promises", right now!

• 2 weeks later...

today's haul from the used book shoppe nearby...

The Complete Sidney Bechet Volumes 1/2 (1932-1941) (RCA Jazz Tribune N° 10)

François Jeannea - Techniques Douces (Owl, mit Michel Graillier, JF Jenny-Clark, Aldo Romano)

Hank Crawford - Midnight Ramble (Milestone)

Wish I'd had the other Bechet (Vols. 3/4 and Vol. 5), too! Got to look for them!

had a flipping haul, today, fuck. so much money. blue note records, oh my god. guess which blue note records i got! right now i have on a promo stamped (perferation/indentation, its so good it doesnt even mess up the artwork in the slightest, yet if you look closely its imbedded into the vinyl, that kind of promo stamp (as opposed to the sticker) cover reuben wilson blue mode. bus ride is the funkiest song ever recorded. it took me a long time to appriciate the sax solo, but now i do. but at first and for a solid while i didnt care for the sax solo. now, i guess you could say, i 'get' it. i didnt before. i think ive listen to a of albert ayler, now i see what he was trying to kinda sorta go for, u know, who is this john manning cat? who else did he groove with? i wonder if he liked john gilmore, it sunds like he totally didl with bn records, its like the way it was originally intented to be heard, for 15 years ive just had the song on "blue breakbeats" (90s cd) and the orig sounds exactly how i thought it would: *awesome*!-- the cd was like a hint, at what the lp was, atfer all this time to finally hear it as intended is very gratifying.

YOU KNOW WHAT I SAW BUT DIDNT GET WAS THIS REALLY STRANGE **TYRONE WASHINGTON** record! no no not natural essence, (already have an orig lp), it was i believe a 70s lp, with a very handy graph on the back cover depicting personel. i didnt get that

but I DDDDDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID get a mint (for all intensive purposes) Liberty press STREET OF DREAMS/GG on really heavy nice vinyl. MINT

I PASSED ON NOT GETTING MINT SIXTH SENSE TO REPLACE MY OK BUT NOT HORRIBLE AND SOUNDS PERFECT COPY I ALREADY HAVE.

I PASSED ON A REEEEEEEEEEEEALLY NICE, I HATE TO SAY MINT WHEN TALKING ABOUT BJP CAUSE THE RECORD CAN NEVER CAPTURE SEEING THE MAN DO IT FACE TO FACE, WHICH I DID PERSONALLY, SO I *KNOW* THIS, BUT ANYWAYS IT WAS A NY USA LET EM ROLL, NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE COPY. but come on there were so many other records i didnt have at all to buy, fffffuuuuuuuuuk i just cant do it .. uggggggggggggggh.

ON THE CHEAPER SIDE OF THINGS, I GOT FOR $1, THIS INCREDIBLE, AND I MEAN, INCREDIBLE, CAL TJADER RECORD- IT IS NOT JUST RED VINYL LIKE ANY JOE'S COPY OF SF SOUNDS. *NO*. IT IS RED SPECKLED VINYL RED N BLACK SPECKLE IT IS 50'S SAN FRANCISCO PSYCHEDLEDIC @ ITS BEST, YOU CAN REALLY REALLY SAY, ITS AN EARLY ARTIFACT OF THAT UNDERGROUND ERA, BTW WERE TALKING ABOUT "CAL TJADER QUINTET 3232". ILL TRY N GET PICS, BUT THEY WONT BE THAT GREAT.

also in the dollar bin got a promo (but not mint at all, not close, in fact kind of bad but itll still be awesome after i run it under the faucet, PAUL HORN QUINTET on HIFI JAZZ, with a young Grandmaster Billy Higgins on drums. whoo!

finally i got i guess a late 60s 'square' label OUR THING, with the correct stampers, MINT, got that lastly. hey i like the sqare logo. i really do! hey, i passed on MUSTANG! i just got a 5 buck horrible condition 3rd press and i was just not feeling it, i prob should of picked that one up too. but it was 30 dollars and i prob could of bargained with him cause he gave me street of dreams for 25 instead of 40, so damn i should of just said here forty give me both. damn will you know i got all these damn records today, fuck if i could get them all, they had a mono Cream FrESH CrEAM for 25, *** I DIDNT BUY ANY ROCK ALBUMS THIS TIME ROUND**** cause there was all this blue note goodness. i also got a blue note 45 rpm , you know who>? Bossa Nova Soul Samba- IKE QUEBEC, its a pts 1 & 2 single. hell yea!

oh i did get a non jazz thing i held off buying lots of cheap r&b but i DID get, of course, a 1970s rare HANK BALLARD single on STANG records....he was klllin it, even in the 70s- MUCH diff than his early work, much- its so awesome

had a flipping haul, today, ...

All-time classic Chewy post :tup What I wouldn't give for a bit more EXUBERANCE in my life. Untempered joy. It was the pick-me-up and kick-my-ass I needed this morning. (The less said about my morning, the better.) Thanks, Chewy. Now, the presciption is clear, a dose of Hank. With the Messengers.