Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Wes looks cool!

How would ABC/Thiele have gotten involved with this?

Did they license Riverside stuff for a while after Riverside had gone belly-up?

I believe the ABC licensed versions of Riverside LPs succeed the Orpheum versions.

• 2 weeks later...

From a charity shop today, a couple of out-of-the-ordinary LPs, 50p each (!)

Roland Kirk - "Hip!" - a compilation on the UK Fontana label

Charles Bell and the Contemporary Jazz Quartet - "Another Dimension" (1962) on Atlantic/London. I'd never heard of this group. Had a very quick listen, but needs cleaning up.

Edited by rdavenport

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting LP I found last week for $10: "Initial Visit" by E. Parker McDougal from 1975 on Grits records. I'm not familiar with him, but it was still sealed and it is subtitled "Chicago Hard-Core jazz" and why not take a chance?

The main players are (there are some personnel changes on a few tracks):

Jay J. Peters - Tenor Sax

E. Parker McDougal - Tenor Sax

Willie Pickens - Piano

Dan Shapera - Bass

Steve McCall - Drums

This is my first listen, but it is a nice, straight-ahead jazz session. Nothing fancy but good playing. I wish some of the songs were longer, because it seems like they fade out before they get really going.

I've got a 45 RPM single from that session - picked up at the Jazz Record Mart in Chicago. I agree with your assessment: good, but not earth-shattering.

A shame the tracks are abbreviated on Initial Visit - slightly longer tenor solos on McDougal's other LP, Blues Tour. McDougal was a very melodic post-Pres man who liked to stretch out and he was a joy to hear.

WHAT. THE. HELL? YES IT HAS THE GROOVE CATCH ON THE LAST TRACK OF SIDE ONE I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS A FLUKE YOU MEAN YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS? OMG JEFFCROM, TELL ME ALL U KNOW ABOUT THIS! WTF?:shrug[1]:

sorry, i was freaking out. well we can conclude it aboustely positivelys some kind of pressing error (how?)--- cause my sealed original 1st press vangelder stamped liberty had it :shrug[1]:

and I thought I was the only one with a defective copy :excited:

That's the only Patton vinyl I'm missing - and going by the comments here it will probably stay that way (unless I luck out with a fluke find - zippo chance). Looks like the most reliable listening option on that session would be the Mosaic Select.

That's the only Patton vinyl I'm missing - and going by the comments here it will probably stay that way (unless I luck out with a fluke find - zippo chance). Looks like the most reliable listening option on that session would be the Mosaic Select.

The defect is a minor one. The groove skips at the start of Jimmy Ponder's intervention on 'Early A.M.'.

All that is required is to lift the cartridge one groove away to continue to enjoy the music.

Good exercise for elderly BN groovers :)

The defect is a minor one. The groove skips at the start of Jimmy Ponder's intervention on 'Early A.M.'.

All that is required is to lift the cartridge one groove away to continue to enjoy the music.

Good exercise for elderly BN groovers :)

Yeah, it was discussed here some time back, but I'm too lazy to look for the thread right now. I agree that it's not a fatal flaw.

Get the Trombones album if the condition (and price) is good. Love the music! The sound on the vinyl was superb, better than on the Mosaic set!

Don't think this is really going to be "my thing" exactly, but DG had the trombones LP for $2, so I figured why not...

Motherload of Miles Davis Columbia vinyl - original Dutch, UK, German and US issues. All in excellent shape.

'Sorcerer' (UK)

'Nefertiti' (Dutch)

'Miles In The Sky' (US 2-eye)

'Quiet Nights' (Dutch)

'Miles Smiles' (German)

'Bitches Brew' (Dutch, laminate sleeve)

'Live Evil' (Dutch, laminate sleeve)

'On The Corner' (UK)

Plus Impulse red/black Archie Shepp 'On This Night' and 'The Way Ahead'.

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...

not sure if any of them qualify as great finds, but I got them all in good to very good quality (that means "good" as in "good", not as in "unplayable" in that silly merikin vinyllingo which I don't get - good is good, dig?) and for very fair prices:

Duke Ellington Presents the Dollar Brand Trio (Reprise)

The Woody Herman Quartet - Swing Low, Sweet Clarinet (Philips)

Jess Stacy and Friends 1938-1944 (London/Commodore Classics)

Willie "The Lion" Smith - Composer-Entertainer (Commodore Classics)

Keith Jarrett - Concerts (ECM 3LP)

Jimmy Rushing - Rushing Lullabies (Philips UK)

Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (ECM 2LP)

Keith Jarrett - Hymns Spheres (ECM 2LP)

Sidney Bechet Sessions (Storyville)

Dixieland with Ben Pollack and his Pick-a-Rib Boys featuring Jack Teagarden (Savoy)

Art Hodes - Someone to Watch Over Me ("Live at Hanratty's") (Muse)

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (Impulse AS-30)

as well as a 2LP set of Swiss jazz from 1935-65 with a few interesting cuts (and lots of amateur dixie bands that I could happily live without).

Can someone maybe help me determine if my "Duke Ellington & John Coltrane" is indeed an original pressing?

dukeellingtonjohncoltra.jpg

There's a deep groove roughly where the outher black "frame" on the label begins.

In the dead wax on side 1 are the following stamps: "AS 30A", "...? Sound" (very small, can't read the first word, it's in a tiny curly type)

In the dead wax on side 2: "VAN GELDER", "AS-30 B" (originally handwritten), "STEREO", and "LW" (vertically, L on top of W), like:

L

W

What's the meaning of that anyway? Seen it before...

Further, on the labels as well as the back cover: "A PRODUCT OF ABC-PARAMOUNT RECORDS, INC." and "PRINTED IN U.S.A."

today's haul:

Jazz at Preservation Hall 1 - The Eureka Brass Band of New Orleans (Atlantic SD 1408)

Barbara Donald and Unity - The Past and Tomorrows (CJR)

Dizzy Gillespie - Vol. 1/2 (1946-1948) (Jazz Tribune N° 2)

Illinois Jacquet - Genius at Work! (Black Lion)

Kid Ory - Creole Jazz Band 1944/45 (Good Time Jazz L-12022)

The Atlantic looks splendid, and the cover photo is great! #3 of the series was there, too, but cost about twice as much (I ended up getting a huge discount, so I should have taken it, too... but how could I have known...)

The Gillespie is all on the 2CD set, but that one's very no-noised - except for a the Teddy Hill tracks, the Lionel Hampton track, the alternates from the Metronome All Stars, and a few cuts with Johnny Hartman, all of it is on the French double LP and I'm sure it will sound much better.

The Donald I've seen elsewhere several times, but it always was a bit too pricey... and the Ory, finally... now I've got two of these Good Time Jazz LPs, already have the one from 1954 with Barney Kessel aboard.

Oh, forgot the Jacquet... smokin' hot stuff in trio with Milt Buckner and Tony Crombie - played the first track and had to absolutely buy!

today's haul:

Jazz at Preservation Hall 1 - The Eureka Brass Band of New Orleans (Atlantic SD 1408)

This album consists of 38 of my absolutely most favorite minutes of music ever recorded - any style. If I could only keep 10 albums, this might be one.

It's been a while that I took that Mosaic out of the shelf, but if only for the cover, I had to get this one! It was marked 16 CHF (about 14$ currently, but it feels a lot less to me) but I ended up getting it for 10!

004369.jpg

today's haul:

Don't, whatever you do, head over to the Vocalion thread...

I'm rather out of danger as I'm more or less up to date there... excepting the new releases which are understandably not part of the sale...