Great Finds

desertblues

I have the original lp and have never seen that stupid graphic.

Okay - weird... found this entry from Paris Jazz Corner: http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/en/dis_fiche.php?ArtNum=38127&LANGUE=uk

Which suggests it's from the 50s.

Clueless about it, myself, which is why I'm asking.

So this here's the original Jazztone cover:

078449.jpg

correct?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

There have been a few gems over the years that I've found at garage sales or second hand stores. There is one that stands out: The Country & Western Sounds of Jazz Pianos Steve Kuhn & Toshiko Akiyoshi. The other players on this are Dave Izenson and John Neves - bass, Bary Galbraith - guitar, and Pete Laroca - drums. The cover is a little worn at the cornes, but the lp is a strong vg. It's an original 1963 mono recording.

• 2 weeks later...

Great finds or not, I don't know, but...there they were.

bing+n+basie+-+front.jpg

Apparently they weren't even on the same coast when they each recorded their contributions, but...I think it's the last Bing album ever, and if there's stray bits of Lockjaw here and there, it'll be ok.

vaugha_sara_vaughanwi_101b.jpg

The fine print shows arranged by Robert Farnon, so I was curious.

Ok, not the last Bing album ever, apparently. Still, close enough.

Picked up a very clean white label promo (mono) of Gigi Gryce's Orch-Tette LP Reminiscin', on Mercury, for $15 yesterday night. Seemed like a reasonable price for what feels like it's going to be a great album.

Damn - why don't we ever get stuff like that over here !

Best I could find in London last week was a copy of 'The Flam' - but at £15 I passed. Stuck to CDs instead. :rolleyes:

Red Garland Soul Junction Prestige (DG yellow label), bought at record fair today, Looked pretty dirty, cleaned up very well in the RCM, light crackle evident occasionally only, sleeve worn at edges and has split but all in all not bad for £3 .

Edited by Clunky

markha_pigm_ifyoucant_101b.jpg

Only in mono. No electronically altered Pigmeat for me!

Saw Pigmeat Markham at the Fillmore East about 40 years ago. Can't remember who else was on the bill and am too lazy to look it up, but I hazily remember it was a strange gig that night.

Lucky you. I wish I'd seen him in a theater. Although I did see some of his comedy routines done by white comedians in burlesque theaters about 50 years ago, when we still had burlesque theaters in Chicago. Those comedy routines were probably old even before Moses grew his beard.

Red Garland Soul Junction Prestige (DG yellow label), bought at record fair today, Looked pretty dirty, cleaned up very well in the RCM, light crackle evident occasionally only, sleeve worn at edges and has split but all in all not bad for £3 .

Sounds like the copy of 'Two Trumpets' I picked up on one occasion. A bit beat up - but at £2 for the Bergenfield I wasn't complaining.

I guess only the Horo really qualifies as a *great* find but most of these look like new and prices were quite alright, too, so...

Dave Holland - Life Cycle (ECM)

Dave Holland - The Razor's Edge (ECM)

Carla Bley - Dinner Music (Watt)

Carla Bley - Social Studies (Watt)

Jan Garbarek - Dis (ECM)

Johnny Griffin - To the Ladies (Galaxy/Carrère)

Johnny Griffin - Live in Tokyo (Inner City)

Lee Konitz & Martial Solal - Duplicity (Horo)

Pat Metheny - Rejoicing (ECM)

What about Inner City - legit?