Great Finds

desertblues

Booker Ervin - The Book Cooks. OG on Bethlehem. Jacket has seam splits and is around VG-, vinyl looks NM- with no spindle marks on either side. I'll have to wait until I get home later this week to see how it plays. I paid more than I normally would at $50 but it usually goes for way more than that.

10948953_1046942795331184_727633501_n.jp

Edited by spinlps

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, I found copies of:

Cecil Taylor "Conquistador"

Charlie Haden "Liberation Music Orchestra"

Don Rendell & Ian Carr Quintet "Phase III"

All in a box of the most awful stuff - Mantonvani, Perry Como, Geoff Love, Jim Reeves, Organ spectaculars, Klaus Wunderlich, the Bachelors, The World of Christmas, Italian and Spanish stuff, "mood" music, the lot.

"Phase III" is a heck of a find!!!

Wow...

I know, a bit of a once-in-a-lifetime event. I did a real double take when I saw it. In several years of record scouting, I have rarely found any modern jazz LPs, and certainly NEVER anything like this. I look forward to playing it tonight after I clean it (though it looks clean enough anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

Found a near mint version of this for $6.00 the other day.

2297.jpg

i would of bought that

Curious date. It's been issued under a number of different titles and on several labels, the first being under Rocky Boyd's name for Jazz Time.

I'm actually looking for the International Polydor version called "West 42nd Street" because I have a strange appreciation for that particular label...

Hey I'm a music fan but I like this thread so I can nerd out when I feel like it ;)

Sometimes great finds can open up a lot of doors...I recall finding a box of "free jazz" around 1990 or so that had just arrived at Bud's jazz in Seattle and inside was "people in sorrow", "congliptuous", a few Sun Ra titles and more. It was all pretty cheap so I bought a bunch of them and it exposed me to new sounds and directions in music. A pretty special day for a 17 year old...

Sadly, this thread is not about music.

Nothing sad about it at all. Record collecting is a fun activity, and although it's generally motivated by love of music, there are other aspects to it. I certainly enjoy and appreciate my records as objects/artifacts in addition to enjoying the music on them. Nothing wrong with that, or with this thread.

Sadly, this thread is not about music.

Sadly this comment is not about this thread....I can't believe you've never experienced the buzz of finding a recording you've long wanted to hear. Maybe you have them all presented to you on a plate?

One of my 'great finds' was an AEOC LP (the cover looked 'cool' and the name was intriguing) when all I'd heard of Jazz was Ben Webster - certainly changed my outlook. Also meant I ended up buying a fair few Nessa titles too

In fairness I think all Chuck appears to be pointing out is that it's all too easy to get hung on the medium rather than the music . Something I know I'm occasionally guilty of . Buying an LP because it's a vintage pressing rather than its musical content . Sometimes I find myself thinking, "would I buy this if it was a CD" . If no, then pass.

I get what Chuck's saying, but I would apply it more to the Vinyl Thread itself, which has also become rather more about ultra-cool obscurities than the music on the vinyl. Perhaps they are ultra-obscure because the music isn't very good? Just a thought that has flittered past me at times while perusing the posts. But even if it is good stuff, the thrust typically seems to be how rare something is, how hard to find, rather than what the music i about. I think Chuck's reminder is timely: it's about the music, not just some antiquarian indulgence.

. I think Chuck's reminder is timely: it's about the music, not just some antiquarian indulgence.

I should probably just shut up and go away. But I love music and also enjoy a good bit of antiquarian indulgence. (How could it be otherwise, since I'm a 78 collector/listener?) What's wrong with that? There's plenty of stuff here that's not just about the music.

Of course a thread in the vinyl forum called "Great Finds" is going to have a lot in it about finding cool obscurities.

There's nothing wrong with any of this. Let people share what they're excited about. I don't so much, anymore. I've been here six years and have learned to censor myself more and more; to reveal less and less.

I wrote a lot more, then erased it.

In fairness I think all Chuck appears to be pointing out is that it's all too easy to get hung on the medium rather than the music . Something I know I'm occasionally guilty of . Buying an LP because it's a vintage pressing rather than its musical content . Sometimes I find myself thinking, "would I buy this if it was a CD" . If no, then pass.

Of course it's about the medium. I've never been excited about finding a CD.

And of course it's about the music.

Most of my friends collecting records are musicians themselves.