Bill Dixon

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting that Bev. I'd be curious to know how your students might react to Dixon's recollections, if you use them in class.

I got a kick out of these quotes near the end:

"I studied music because I was interested in music. I never intended to become a musician to become a musician, but before you know it, you're in it," said Dixon. "Music is still a mystery to me. I don't totally understand it."

"There were doors closed and you were not admitted. ... I've done all those things that I was not supposed to do and I am known today for a thing that has affected music very profoundly. There is a way that I do things that other people now follow," said Dixon.

I'm only using the first half up to 1945 - it's a nice first hand exemplar of what they're reading about elsewhere.

Though they have been treated to Big Bill Broonzy ('Black Brown and White') this week and will get a dose of Josh White ('Uncle Sam Says') in the lesson that Mr. Dixon makes an appearance.

Lots of scope for Mingus, Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, Coltrane etc later on.

That would possibly explain why he was such an irascible fart in the mid Sixties when I had more than my fill of him. :)

Whether you got along with him or not, Chris, shouldn't distract from his importance to this music.

Thanks for posting, Bev.

You are right, but I never thought much of his music,at least not as it was in the mid-Sixties.

Guest Bill Barton

The new release on AUM Fidelity by Dixon is fascinating. Unless I'm mistaken it's his first large ensemble recording (at least under his own name) in a long, long time.

It's 17 Musicians in Search of a Sound: Darfur. I haven't had a chance to digest it in depth yet, but first impressions are very positive indeed. Anyone (like myself) who is inordinately fond of lower register instruments will love this group: bassoon, bass clarinet, Bb contrabass clarinet, bari sax, bass sax, double bass, cello...

Gorgeous compositions and arrangements...

Highly recommended.

That would possibly explain why he was such an irascible fart in the mid Sixties when I had more than my fill of him. :)

Whether you got along with him or not, Chris, shouldn't distract from his importance to this music.

Thanks for posting, Bev.

You are right, but I never thought much of his music,at least not as it was in the mid-Sixties.

Well, he's still making music that you might do well to at least give a spin.

FWIW, I loved Dixon's music from the beginning. The quartet record with Shepp was acquired while I was still in school. I think the RCA lp was a minor masterpiece. But, like Chris, I had lousy dealings with him (mine in the early '70s) and from what I hear from friends involved in his Chicago appearances, he is still that guy. Blame the system or blame Bill Dixon - he's still a first class jerk in my book.

I still buy and listen to his music.

FWIW, there was a great story/interview w/ Dixon in Wire two issues back.

Yeah, it was nice. I did a pretty extensive piece slated for STN that due to reasons I won't get into here, got shelved (not Bill). Hopefully it will see the proper light of day.

Bill's not an "easy" person to deal with, but nor is his music "easy." I approach him and his work with the same ears, and it has worked out very well. Of course, that was purely from a writer's standpoint and not a producer's or a record label's.

• 1 year later...