Dizzy Reece - "From In to Out"

BeBop

I just got an e-mail from Cadence telling me that this has been reissued on CD.

1974: FROM IN TO OUT / DIZZY REECE QUINTET, Feat. John Gilmore, Tenor Sax, Art Taylor, Drums, Zigfield Kessler, piano, Patrice Caratini, contre bass. Rec. Live Concert in Paris, France.

It was an old Futura LP that garnered top-dollar when it turned up. (Ghost of Miles was looking for it, once upon a time.) Reece speaks highly of the date in an AllAboutJazz interview.

Has this been out on CD before? Am I justified in having a Chewy-level excitement over this?!?!?!?

Edited by BeBop

Has anybody here heard it??

Is the glass half full, or half empty??

I have a CDR that somebody burned for me a few years ago. Haven't listened in a while, but my recollection is that the date is a little more "out" that what we can usually expect from Reece. This is one of the handful of sessions featuring Gilmore away from Sun Ra, which makes it worthwhile for that reason alone.

This was reissued on CD by Marge a couple of years ago as a very limited release (a couple of hundred copies) which was mostly distributed in Japan only.

Problem with the reissue was the use of the original cover photo. The photographer wanted a lot of money for the reuse of the image.

Hope the conflict has been resolved by now. Have yet to see a copy of this new Marge issue.

I am happy with the original vinyl!

I think there's a track from this on that Dizzy Reece New York radio interview (and from my memory it sounded really good) - would like a copy of the Futura though. Nice to see you back for a visit Brownie - I was just admiring your photos of Albert Ayler in the 'Holy Ghost' book last night. :tup

I think there's a track from this on that Dizzy Reece New York radio interview (and from my memory it sounded really good) - would like a copy of the Futura though. Nice to see you back for a visit Brownie - I was just admiring your photos of Albert Ayler in the 'Holy Ghost' book last night. :tup

just wanted to post the link again

have posted this elsewhere, but a sample track as part of a radio broadcast from the Reece Futura album is found here

http://dizzyreece.blogspot.com/2005/02/jaz...ogram-wbgo.html

i think it is track 14, as (if i remember this correctly) an annotated version of the same thing is found here (scroll down a bit)

http://www.christopherporter.com/2005/02/d...deux-after.html

edit to add: neither link works anymore, but the interview and track is still found here

http://www.dizzyreece.com/

scroll down a bit to the february 13 2005 post... guess it's still track 14

Edited by Niko

It's showing as 'temporarily out of stock' at Cadence & also 'being restocked' at the Marge/Futura site so I wouldn't hold your breath! I've been trying to get a copy of this for several years now and its release keeps getting put back. Apparently the owner of Marge/Futura Records was/is in dispute with the photographer who took the photographs for the original album cover and this has prevented it being released.

I had it on vinyl many years ago and I remember it as being an excellent album. Fingers crossed that it comes out one day!

Edited by Head Man

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this thread - great to see this album reissued! Will look for it!

How about "Nirvana", the album linked to on that Reece page (link goes to CDbaby which sells it)? Anyone heard it? Impressions?

can't check from work but aren't there longer sound samples somewhere... like on his myspace site... sounded a bit esoteric to me iirc (but this may be completely wrong)

• 2 months later...

Downtown Music Gallery and Cadence haven't been able to fill my 'gift' order (supposed to be for Christmas). CD Baby doesn't list. Anyone had any luck lately?

I managed to score a copy at Dusty Groove. You might try them. They are out of stock now, but will get more, so you can sign up to be notified when it is in stock. It's good, though a little on the short side.

Downtown Music Gallery and Cadence haven't been able to fill my 'gift' order (supposed to be for Christmas). CD Baby doesn't list. Anyone had any luck lately?

I thought you've been saying for years that you no longer buy recorded music? And here I always envied you for leading a clutter-free existence. What a let down. :beee:

:g

I thought you've been saying for years that you no longer buy recorded music? And here I always envied you for leading a clutter-free existence. What a let down. :beee:

:g

Read carefully: a Christmas "gift" order!

• 2 months later...