Ahmad Jamal Mosaic planned

J.A.W.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So since all you guys have connections... What IS coming up next??? :unsure: :unsure:

Due to the Universal fires, the tapes have yet to be located!

I hope you're kidding ...

I wish I were! Talked to Wenzel this morning.

Busy man, also had contact with him today :)

He wouldn't divulge!!! All he would say was that they are awaiting clearance on a couple of things. I assume one is the 1930's Duke Columbia Big Band sides.

He wouldn't divulge!!! All he would say was that they are awaiting clearance on a couple of things. I assume one is the 1930's Duke Columbia Big Band sides.

Yep, a couple of projects, including a big one, are still awaiting clearance, that's why he couldn't divulge.

Oh, please, PLEASE, I need the Ellington Columbias! Have you any more info? Thanks

No more info at this stage.

Edited by J.A.W.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like those Impulse recordings would make a decent Mosaic. Never heard any of them.

i like The Awakening a lot, so a Mosaic of the Impulses wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Love "The Awakening", "Tranquility is also nice and I am sure there is more great stuff from the tapes that didn't get on Freeflight and Outertimeinnerspace that would make a nice little box set.

All they have to do for me to buy it is give me a remastered version of Extensions from the Argo label in 65 to replace my old vinyl, everything else would be a bonus for me.

Edited by WorldB3

The Jamal Impulse! albums are very interesting, but very different than the "classic" Argo trio material. A lot more "open" in both concept & execution. Since "soloing" per se is not really what Jamal is "about", you really gotta be on board from jump if you wanna get the full ride, I'd say.

I'd also say that this more "open" concept has been brought to better fruition in later years, which is not to say that the Impulse! sides are "failures" or anything like that, just that it got better as time went by.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the Extensions/Naked City CD mentioned above. Sound is so-so. (This is an issue on most of the Argo albums, of course.) But these are some of my favorite Jamal's - he really starts to dig in a little more in this period (1964-65), less skimmimg, not as "precious" (is that the right word?) as just a few years ealier. Great stuff!

There's also a good version of "Extensions" on one of the live Impulse albums - if I remember correctly Freeflight and Outertimeinnerspace were from the same concert- it's on one of those. Strong recordings, although there may be a couple places where he switches between electric and acoustic piano in the same piece, that's always a routine these leaves me a little cold. That probably wouldn't be an issue for most people.

(Edit: There's a new CD copy of "Freeflight" at Amazon for $161!! And used for &120!!! For a record you could get in the cut out bins for a couple of bucks!!)

Edited by DMP

What's that Joe Farrell project mentioned above?

Never heard about it... he's a fine player, but I wonder what would they collect? I don't know much of his solo output, but I think besides some CTI albums, there are some on Xanadu and one Fantasy (I don't have any of them)... all of that not being material Mosaic usually lays hands on, so I wonder...

Picked up the Extensions/Naked City CD mentioned above. Sound is so-so. (This is an issue on most of the Argo albums, of course.) But these are some of my favorite Jamal's - he really starts to dig in a little more in this period (1964-65), less skimmimg, not as "precious" (is that the right word?) as just a few years ealier. Great stuff!

Thanks Jazzbo and DMP.

I will look for it, I am bit concern about the sound but it sounds likes its worth it just to have Extensions in a digital format and to pick up Naked City which is new to me.

Edited by WorldB3

• 6 months later...

So do we know for certain that the tapes were destroyed??? Update anyone? Especially you guys in contact with Wenzel.... :unsure: :unsure:

No news. See also Ghost of Miles' message here (end of second paragraph).

By the way, as far as I know no one has said that the Jamal tapes were destroyed, they are just difficult to locate.

Edited by J.A.W.

I'm going to take this as a POSITIVE sign... that the tapes still exist... Wenzel will FIND them and sometime in 2010 we'll be ordering this 9-CD set... :):rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So do we know for certain that the tapes were destroyed??? Update anyone? Especially you guys in contact with Wenzel.... :unsure: :unsure:

No news. See also Ghost of Miles' message here (end of second paragraph).

By the way, as far as I know no one has said that the Jamal tapes were destroyed, they are just difficult to locate.