Upcoming Blue Note reissues

Daniel A

Either I've not been paying attention and all of these have already been posted here, or the source of this information (Swedish online CD store) is just not reliable, but it looks like there's a batch of RVGs coming up for February 11, 2009:

Paul Chambers Quintet

Grant Green - Grant's First Stand

Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond

Leo Parker - Rollin' With Leo

Horace Parlan - Up and Down

Stanley Turrentine - A Chip Off the Old Block

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks right. I noticed if you enter the titles into the All Music site they will come up with RVG and 2009.

Nice that the other Parker is being released, and also good to see that a title from the now out of print Parlan Mosaic is getting out as well. The Turrentine is included in the Mosaic, but for those who want the artwork, now's your chance! :)

Thanks for the notice.

Any opinions on the Turrentine?

My least favorite Turrentine/Scott BN session. Still good, but not magic.

Just my opinion.

I probably like it more (than JSngry and more than it deserves) because I really like Basie and the songs are mostly associated with Basie.

My only regret is that I paid too damn much for it, now that it's being reissued. Ahem.

Edited by BeBop

The reissue program is irritating me. Why? Because they keep releasing albums that are currently available in Mosaic Selects or other boxes...so they are using an available reissue slot for these duplicate issues. :angry:

Why? The Parlan's OOP already. The Turrentine's in its running low or last chance stage (I forget which just now) and probably will be done for by the time this comes out. And you can hardly blame BN for bringing it out - it's only ever been on CD in TOCJ series and two tracks have never been issued before the Mosaic. This is certainly the first occasion on which the non-fanatic public will have had a chance to get this stuff.

Is "One step beyond Jackie McLean" on a current Mosaic?

I'm REALLY glad "Rollin' with Leo" is coming out. I only have the LP - missed the McMaster CD issue. This is, to me, even better than "Let me tell you 'bout it". And the cover is the most splendid that BN ever issued (well, I think, maybe before Grandassa Models).

MG

Agree re: the cover art on the Leo Parker. A good reason to hang on to the DMM LP ! Shame they didn't issue it on vinyl 'back in the day'.

Yeah! We'd look at albums on the BN inner sleeves and wonder how to get hold of them. And the one we lusted after MOST, was "Rollin' with Leo". They were all listed in Schwann so there was no way anyone over here knew that'd never been issued. THE most frustrating thing!

MG

The reissue program is irritating me. Why? Because they keep releasing albums that are currently available in Mosaic Selects or other boxes...so they are using an available reissue slot for these duplicate issues. :angry:

Why? The Parlan's OOP already. The Turrentine's in its running low or last chance stage (I forget which just now)

:huh:

Neither, according to the Mosaic website (as of right now). It's just backordered.

I am REALLY looking forward to the Leo Parker! Didn't think this would see the light of day in light of other deletions! :excited:

Okay, I guess it's just my gripe. Back when I used to purchase Mosaic sets it would irritate me when they would go out of print and then Blue Note would reissue EVERYTHING included in the box. So in the end that limited edition set is obsolete and the music wasn't quite as rare as they told us it was...at least not until the box set sold out.

P.S. - The Paul Chambers Quintet album is currently available in the Mosaic Select.

Grant Green - Grant's First Stand

as of now this album is still in print, a cd-version from 1999. :unsure:

but ... happy to see that the rvg-series is still alive! ^_^

I'm sure I've got a Conn of that one.

This is getting confusing.. :blink:

You're probably thinking of First Session rather than First Stand the former was in the Connoisseur Series.

Edited by mgraham333