Upcoming Blue Note reissues

Daniel A

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reissue program is irritating me. Why? Because they keep releasing albums that are currently available in Mosaic Selects or other boxes...so they are using an available reissue slot for these duplicate issues. :angry:

That is a good point if you happen to be one of those who bought the Mosaic boxes or Selects of these artists. In my case, I had almost all of the Horace Parlan albums (4 of the 6) so I didn't buy the box because it will be cheaper for me to pay for the two albums. I recently got one on a Classic Reissue lp so I have one to go. Same with the Jackie McLean/Grachan Moncur albums. All I need is One Step Beyond so I didn't plump for the Select either.

Now I don't expect Bluenote to focus on my personal needs but I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat.

Sure would be nice to see Blue Note reissue all of Freddie Hubbard's sides as a leader as they did some years ago with Herbie Hancock and Dexter Gordon, especially now that the great trumpeter has passed on, but I suppose we'll see the Second Coming first.

greg mo

hm, hasn't everything been out?

Open Sesame (RVG)

Goin' Up (Conn - OOP soon!)

Here to Stay (RVG)

Hub Cap (RVG)

Ready for Freddie (Conn, now RVG)

Hub Tones (RVG)

Breaking Point (RVG)

Blue Spirits (RVG)

Night of the Cookers (RVG)

So I don't really see what would remain... except for a reissue of "Goin' Up", which is not likely going to happen, as the Conn has been in print for what, ten years or even more!

By the way, my RVG of Blue Spirits is really weird - it has a US-made traycard (including FBI warning logo), the booklet is made in Europe, so is the disc, which is a copycrap disc, even though obviously on the US-tray it doesn't say so. I bought it assuming it was a non-CC edition (it came out originally while Euro-EMI releases were CC-discs) and was quite pissed to find out it wasn't... the only indication is that circle/eye-symbol printed on the CD itself. I only realized that quite a while after buying it so I figured bringing it back was useless, alas. It's been around as an actual CD by now. But the weirdest is the US-made traycard (it was that which disguised the copy-protection, as the euro-tray-cards of CC-discs had a CC-logo/info thing on the spine next to the RVG-logo... the non-CC new prints just leave a blank spot there, while my Blue Spirits has the RVG-text on the whole spine.

Edited by king ubu

Yeah Flurin, they've all been out, and these were even out in earlier editions before the RVGs:

Here to Stay (RVG)

Hub Cap (RVG)

Hub Tones (RVG)

Breaking Point (RVG)

Blue Spirits (RVG)

I think in this late stage of the cd format we're not likely to see Blue Note release a Hubbard box set.

Yeah Flurin, they've all been out, and these were even out in earlier editions before the RVGs:

Here to Stay (RVG)

Hub Cap (RVG)

Hub Tones (RVG)

Breaking Point (RVG)

Blue Spirits (RVG)

I think in this late stage of the cd format we're not likely to see Blue Note release a Hubbard box set.

I have old editions of all of these (except for Blue Spirits and Here to Stay). Not going to replace them, too much new stuff around, and too little money, and enough general insecurity with all the stoopid greedy people buying and selling crap instead of just living in a sensible and responsable way... well, enough of my sermon, happy new year, nevertheless!

Here to Stay (RVG)

Hub Cap (RVG)

Hub Tones (RVG)

Breaking Point (RVG)

Blue Spirits (RVG)

You're probably right Lon, and so is Ubu. Hopeless completist that I am, I was pining for unreleased stuff, alternate takes, that kind of thing. Some of the RVGs have them. Some of them don't.

Do you really think cds are done for, even in "specialty" markets like jazz? I love Mosaic, but is that going to be all there is?

greg mo

I don't have any definitive knowledge. I believe that there's a really good chance that what we'll see from now on is predominantly "safe" reissues. . . and then maybe within five to ten years there will be very little on cd you'd want to buy. Some very sharp and savvy minds seem to be telling us that, right here.

I really don't think there's anything in the vault along the lines of unreleased and alternate takes of Freddie's stuff as a leader that we'll ever see. Michael Cuscuna put out what he WILL put out. If he hasn't, he won't. And he's holding the reigns, which is a good thing, I am sure.

I'm really looking forward to picking up Jackie's "One Step Beyond". :excited:

If you like Destination...Out! You'll LOVE One Step Beyond.

Agreed, as great as 'Destination....Out' is, 'One Step Beyond' is clearly better to me. If I could only have one Jackie McLean CD (what I sad thought!), this would be the one, as great as his other stuff is. This album is a landmark in jazz history. It, 'Destination Out!", Grachan Moncur's 'Evolution' (all from 1963), and 'Action' (from 1964) are the recordings that McLean did with Bobby Hutcherson, and all are spectacular. 'Action' has Charles Tolliver on the front line with McLean, and the others have Moncur, with Lee Morgan added on 'Evolution'. Amazing stuff.

Agreed, as great as 'Destination....Out' is, 'One Step Beyond' is clearly better to me. If I could only have one Jackie McLean CD (what I sad thought!), this would be the one, as great as his other stuff is. This album is a landmark in jazz history. It, 'Destination Out!", Grachan Moncur's 'Evolution' (all from 1963), and 'Action' (from 1964) are the recordings that McLean did with Bobby Hutcherson, and all are spectacular. 'Action' has Charles Tolliver on the front line with McLean, and the others have Moncur, with Lee Morgan added on 'Evolution'. Amazing stuff.

Amen and preach brother! :tup :tup :tup

Amen and preach brother! :tup :tup :tup

Jackie' mid 60's Blue Note's are just incredible. I have all of them, at least the ones that are still available. The Moncur "Evolution" is in my queue over at yourmusic.com and should be shippped soon. Some real good music coming my way.

I don't have any definitive knowledge. I believe that there's a really good chance that what we'll see from now on is predominantly "safe" reissues. . . and then maybe within five to ten years there will be very little on cd you'd want to buy. Some very sharp and savvy minds seem to be telling us that, right here.

I really don't think there's anything in the vault along the lines of unreleased and alternate takes of Freddie's stuff as a leader that we'll ever see. Michael Cuscuna put out what he WILL put out. If he hasn't, he won't. And he's holding the reigns, which is a good thing, I am sure.

I suppose downloads will continue to improve in quality, but what I'll miss besides excellent sound quality (!) will be other stuff--album covers, liner notes, photos, discographical detail! Also, computer hard drives are very impermanent, but my cds can last a *long* time. 'Course, I realize I'm preaching to the choir here.

I went back and looked at the Hubbard RVGs again, and just about all of them have bonus tracks, so typically, I posted before I did the research. Sigh. Age. That's what it is. Or, that's the excuse I'll use today anyway!! (Laziness is too embarrassing!)

greg mo

• 3 weeks later...

More RVGs being announced for February 24:

Tony Williams - Spring (5099926513829)

Grant Green - Street of Dreams (5099926514222)

Baby Face Willette - Stop and Listen (5099926514321)

Jackie McLean - Bluesnik (5099926514529)

Horace Silver - Tokyo Blues (5099926514628)

Edited by hprill0

Plus Grachan Monchur, "Some Other Stuff" I believe.

Plus Grachan Monchur, "Some Other Stuff" I believe.

Yes, indeed.

Grachan Moncur - Some Other Stuff (5099926515229)

I'll (again) skip the Green.

CJ, give this one a try, its one of Green's best dates, in my opinion, along with anything else Larry Young and Grant Green have worked together on! If you are passing it up because you think the sound is fine, I agree with you that the SBM edition sounds pretty good already, just like Lee Morgan's Sixth Sense (always thought this was a silly one to RVG, especially when the SBM edition was just out for a little bit) and Donald Byrd's Blackjack. But back to SofD's, "I Wish You Love" is worth the price of admission alone. Give it a chance if its the music you're concerned about. ;)

Edited by Holy Ghost

Well said Felser!

I'm also surprised that they're putting out Some Other Stuff. This one vanished overnight when it came out as a Conn back in 1995! Needless to say, its my favorite Moncur date, which is far more progressive and free than Evolution, and with basically the 1964-67 Miles Davis rhythm section of Shorter, Hancock, McBee and Williams, you also get a good glimpse at how far out they can go; which was way more far out than any of Miles' albums from this period ever did!

I won't replace anything... but "Spring" is great, in case you don't have it (I have the old US edition).

"Stop and Listen" is good, too - I'll keep my Conn though.

Have them all in in one way or another, all good ones I'd say. The Silver as a wee bit better than his usual album, I think (I tend to think of those Mitchell/Cook albums a "run of the mill" a bit...)