R.I.P. Louie Bellson

DukeCity

The Louie Bellson website is reporting that he died yesterday. He had apparently been hospitalized for a while after breaking a hip last November.

When I was a high school kid (probably '78 or so) I went to a summer jazz camp in Portland, OR and Louie came in to do a guest concert with the faculty. He played great, and after the concert he was walking through the dorm and my buddy and I were hanging out in our room with the door open. Louie poked his head in the room and we invited him in. We were so excited to get a chance to "hang" for a couple of minutes. He was very encouraging, and exuded a very positive vibe. Those "Big Band Explosion" records were staples of our big band listening.

Edited by DukeCity

Yet more sad news - RIP Louie. Nearly 30 years since I last saw him live with the 'Explosion' but it was a potent outfit, very well organized and with fine soloists such as Bobby Shew and Arnie Lawrence. Yet another of the 'old school' passes on, there can't be very many left now. :(

Edited by sidewinder

Yes, this is sad news. I really enjoy my Bellson recordings and fondly recall the time I saw him live with his big band. Quite by coincidence, I have been recently listening through the Count Basie Live Roulette Recordings on Mosaic. Discs 5-8 feature Bellson with the Basie Band live in Sweden (lots and lots of great music), and I have been reflecting over the past couple of days on how great Bellson sounded with Basie. He gave the band a slightly different feel (perhaps a bit more on top of the beat) but it was still the swinging and satisfying Basie groove and sounds wonderful.

RIP Louie Bellson

Edited by John Tapscott

Very sorry to hear this. I have had the opportunity to cross paths with Louie many times and play with him on several occasions. He was a great and respected human being and left us some great music. A long and distinguished career.

I remember seeing him on the Tonight show several times way back when.

Sadly another legend gone. RIP

Edited by Free For All

Saw him leading a big band of British musicians at the Davenport Theatre, Stockport in the 1980s.

His work for Norman Grantz with Oscar Peterson was always good. Roy and Diz and Jazz Giants '58 are the first ones that come to mind.

Edited by BillF

Bellson played Blue Lake with Pearl Bailey, Milt Hinton and Remo Palmeri in the late 70's early 80's. He returned with his Chicago big band in the 1990's and was just hollering. He and Larry Novak came by the station and he spent almost an hour talking and playing records. Great guy.

Bellson with Ellington, The Hawk Talks.

What an insane bummer. This really knocks me down.

From everything I've read and heard and experienced , Louie was a truly extraordinary person , not just as a musician , but on the higher level that jazz music speaks of and to.

When Louie was in the hospital I tried to add to his site's guestbook but it was broken at the time , so Louie never got to read my thoughts.

I guess I'll post it here now :

Dear Louie,

I have not written before, but perhaps this reminder of life's fragility suggests I better do it now.

I'm one of your biggest fans ever ... and I'm not even a drummer !

Since I was 14 , I have loved every note of your music. More that loved, your music has been a near-continual positive energy force for nearly my entire life. That's 31 years man !

To me , your music has always stood for finding the way to be positive about life ( no matter what ! )

To truly be positive, we must find a way to love our brothers ( or at least as many of them as possible ) and not isolate ourselves in a narrow small world, excluding whomever doesn't make sense to us.

Anyway, that's what your music has always meant to me.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hang in there Louie !

What an insane bummer. This really knocks me down.

From everything I've read and heard and experienced , Louie was a truly extraordinary person , not just as a musician , but on the higher level that jazz music speaks of and to.

When Louie was in the hospital I tried to add to his site's guestbook but it was broken at the time , so Louie never got to read my thoughts.

I guess I'll post it here now :

Dear Louie,

I have not written before, but perhaps this reminder of life's fragility suggests I better do it now.

I'm one of your biggest fans ever ... and I'm not even a drummer !

Since I was 14 , I have loved every note of your music. More that loved, your music has been a near-continual positive energy force for nearly my entire life. That's 31 years man !

To me , your music has always stood for finding the way to be positive about life ( no matter what ! )

To truly be positive, we must find a way to love our brothers ( or at least as many of them as possible ) and not isolate ourselves in a narrow small world, excluding whomever doesn't make sense to us.

Anyway, that's what your music has always meant to me.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hang in there Louie !

wow, what a poignant post!! you sure "got" him as being an incredibly positive person. sorry you didn't get to reach out to him or meet him but glad to hear you were so inspired by him.

Very, very sad news. He was, IMHO, one of the greatest jazz drummers ever. Very, very musical, on a level with Buddy Rich, but much more charming and warm, not just pyrotechnical.

That session JSngry mentioned with Walfredo de los Reyes is a gem, although the recording balance is a little weird. What really opened my ears was his playing on Duke's Big 4 - conservative swing in such a creative fashion!

R.I.P.

312QJPASJ5L._SS500_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil