Has Mosaic ever put out something you suggested?

... had a brief look... admittedly the situation with the patton and green is worse than what i remembered... (btw the curious inclusion of along came john in the patton select imho proves that cuscuna i not particularly excited about blue john, steppin out...)(which is a shame of course :) )

You have a point there about Blue John. It's a bit odd that it wasn't included in the Patton Select, and there wasn't really any explanation in the notes about why it was skipped over. I suppose MC might not hold it in high regard. However, in the notes to that set he calls the Green-Patton-Dixon section a "near perfect entity," so maybe there's still hope . . .

funny they didn't explain it better - i mean, if the focus in the select is on sessions issued at the time but not easily available (like got a good thing goin and let em roll) they should have left along came john out and add the original accent on the blues album... guess hoping for the complete blue john sessions 2cd or more of than the one fred jackson track on the lost sessions conn is pretty hopeless, best thing that could happen realistically is a reissue of steppin out i guess...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made several suggestions to them many years ago and some of them came to be-- but after the fact they all seem obvious.

Hey, maybe they can make a deal with Concord and put out some of the obvious things they don't seem to want to do anymore. (Eg the Complete Shelly Mann at that Blackhawk.)

Can only remember two suggestions over the years. In the early 90's, I suggested that Mosaic do a BYG box. I received a note from Michael Cuscuna saying that it was a good suggestion, but there would be too many licensing problems and problems with the musicians involved to do it. That made sense, given what I knew about BYG's history and what I had read about musicians' feelings about the way they were treated.

The second suggestion - a year or two ago - was a reissue of George Russell in Kansas City. Got a response that it was a good suggestion - still hoping that it happens.

I was always hoping for a Braxton Arista set, although I never made the request.

When they first started making Selects, I put in requests for Les McCann's Pacific Jazz trio sessions and the Three Sounds' early Blue Note recordings. Did they listen to me? How would I know? But I get the strange feeling that I didn't have much of an impact. :)

A few years ago I suggested a Hal McKusick Select, and received a nice email back from Mosaic, stating that it was a good idea. Nothing has been announced about it as of yet.

I suggested a Complete Duke Ellington recordings from the 1968-74 period. Mosaic emailed back that the music is great, but that the many record labels would surely never cooperate.

I suggested various Sun Ra ideas. Mosaic emailed back that Sun Ra is too inconsistent and that they would not consider him for any project.

I've suggested several sets over the years that have eventually been issued, but I doubt seriously that they issued them because *I* suggested them. I remember suggesting the Teagarden Roulette set long before it came out, and Cuscuna responding that they wanted to do one but couldn't find any more unissued material from the Roundtable sessions. Then they found them, and out came the set. I also bugged them for years about a Mulligan Concert Jazz Band set and the Herman Phillips stuff, but they answered for a while that Verve was going to do those. Then Verve didn't and Mosaic did.

I think that often we do have an influence, but it tends to be more collective and collaborative, a sort of longer term build-up of support that may result in a set like the Braxton.

I was interested in the MJQ Atlantic suggestion. I can sort of understand Chuck's skepticism. I've always blown hot and cold on the MJQ, but it does seem to me like that set would sell well for them, and there's something to be said for issuing sets that sell well. We do want them to stay in business forever!!

greg mo

I suggested a Dizzy Reece select back when the selects were announced... no idea if my suggestion had any influence, of course... I doubt it! :)

Sent in some other suggestions, still hoping (like the Circle and early Corea stuff), but who knows...

Great ideas about Peiffer, Ianci Körössy and Wilen, but I have a hunch the legal situation would be way too complicated for it to be worth it... too many fees and stuff for Mosaic to really bother. Unless they could find a body of work from one particular label (or in the case of Peiffer maybe directly from the family? They released a nice disc a while back from their vaults, it's available on CDBaby).

I suggested a George Adams Don Pullen set in the mid 80's and I remember being told by Michael Cuscuna (well, it may have been Charlie Lourie) that they were a better band live, that their recorded material to date didn't really do them justice. This was before most of the titles on Blue Note had been made. I knew there were some titles out I hadn't heard (Horo, Palcoscenico, possibly some dates released in Japan). Having acquired the Horos and the Palcoscenicos subsequently I do see they would make a pretty uneven set. Really I can't argue that they were a band best experienced live.

I also suggested Serge Chaloff but I am sure I wasn't alone there. I think they got a lot of calls for that set.

Suggested: Ahmad Jamal Box (Should come out ?),Erroll Garner Columbia Box,Joe Farrell CTI Select,MJQ Atlantic Select 1956-57,Miles Davis European Tours 1964 and 1967, Milt Jackson/Lucky Thompson -Atlantic/Savoy Twofer,Dave Pike/Bill Evans-"Pike's Peak" if bonus tracks.

I would go out on a limb and say there is probably close to zero chance that they'll make a set based on fan suggestion. If we've thought "Hey wouldn't it be great if ...'s recordings for ... Records were re-released," it's a pretty safe bet someone at Mosaic has had the same thought. I'm sure they've poured through every catalog they have access to, considering all the possibilities for future sets. I think it's extremely unlikely that one of us would make a suggestion that starts the proverbial wheels turning. Any resemblance between suggested and actual sets is probably just coincidental.

You never know, though...

With the MJQ suggestion, isn't most of their Atlantic material still in print?

Edited by HoytClagwell

I've suggested a Select set composed of Vols 1 & 2 of the Larry Bunker Quartet (Interplay) plus the remaining '63 LP (Vault) and doubt it'll ever happen....but who knows??? The allMusic site says that both the Interplay dates were released on cd in Japan at one point but I have yet to actually see one of these supposed Jpn cds and wonder if it's just a typo....that they meant to say 'Japanese vinyl'? Has anyone here ever seen a cd version?

DSCN5079.jpg

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...11:jvfuxq95ldde

I would go out on a limb and say there is probably close to zero chance that they'll make a set based on fan suggestion. If we've thought "Hey wouldn't it be great if ...'s recordings for ... Records were re-released," it's a pretty safe bet someone at Mosaic has had the same thought. I'm sure they've poured through every catalog they have access to, considering all the possibilities for future sets. I think it's extremely unlikely that one of us would make a suggestion that starts the proverbial wheels turning. Any resemblance between suggested and actual sets is probably just coincidental.

You never know, though...

With the MJQ suggestion, isn't most of their Atlantic material still in print?

Sure, but for instance, so is a lot all of the material in the Gerry Mulligan, Shank/Cooper, and Zeitlin sets. It's more a matter of having them in one place with superior sound and good annotation.

I've suggested a Select set composed of Vols 1 & 2 of the Larry Bunker Quartet (Interplay) plus the remaining '63 LP (Vault) and doubt it'll ever happen....but who knows??? The allMusic site says that both the Interplay dates were released on cd in Japan at one point but I have yet to actually see one of these supposed Jpn cds and wonder if it's just a typo....that they meant to say 'Japanese vinyl'? Has anyone here ever seen a cd version?

Now that is a very good idea. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Maybe you have a point. I always think of Mosaic sets as sort of bring something back from the dead, but I guess they have done their share of repackaging stuff that's already (mostly) available.

I sort of have similar hopes for Fletcher Henderson's Columbia recordings to get at least a Select. I know they're already out there in different forms, but it would be nice to have a one stop collection with the best sound possible and good liner notes. I won't be holding my breath for that one, though...

Oh no, the Study in Frustration set is by far the best that's been out there, but I think it has two problems. It's incomplete and now out of print. I suppose a Mosaic Select on only three discs would sort of be needless replication. The Chronological Classics were great too, but also sadly out of print. So what's left are imports where I've had bad experiences in the past with sound quality and shoddy packaging. (Proper, History, etc.)

What I guess I really want is The Complete Columbia, Vocalion and Brunswick Recordings, sort of like what Mosaic did with the Bix and Tram set.

Why another smallish Henderson set? Either do all or a series of smaller boxes by label. Unfortunately, I don't think these would sell in the quantity needed for financial viability. I will live with my Classics and Neatwork cds. I was lucky enough to buy them as they were issued. Monumental work indeed - 19 discs in total!

Well, after I thought about it, I said a three disc set would be needless replication, so I agree we don't need another smallish set. The complete recordings from all the Columbia labels would be rather large, though, and I know it's not going to happen. It's just on the wish list, not something I expect to see. Eventually I'll collect all the Classics discs, but they're surprisingly hard to track down for reasonable prices.

Might have been some confusion with the Ornette Coleman CD. As well as the Soul Note CD by Fred Houn & the Afro-Asian Music Ensemble - Tomorrow Is Now! Anyway, whatever the name, what a great CD!

Mr.Houn and his very difficult to find music -at last these three italian recordings- need to be more widely known in my opinion. A Select with his Soul Notes and hopefully many unpublished music should be a dream for me.

He is heavy on some political issue maybe not anybody care about, but he's an awesome performer, arranger and composer (in the spirit of Mingus and Ellington). Sadly he's ill in these days. I strongly wish he will be better since he's a real artist.

Best wishes mr.Houn. Keep on fighting.

Edited by ArmandoPeraza