It's not just me...:)

Jazz great that just doesn't do it for you??  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

okay... given the flack I got for stating that I just can't get into Armstrong... it got me to thinking....

I suspect despite all of our collective love for jazz... that there are individual "greats" that we just can't get into... :blink: :blink:

So who is it for you??? You can check more than one...

(And yes it was an arbitrary list..so don't jump on me... since you're guy is not on the list.... :angry: :angry: )

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, it's not just you, I admit I can't get into Armstrong and Braxton, so I presume I didn't 'understand' JAZZ. On the other hand I admit I am a musical illiterate, just a passionate 'consumer' of it, so I am not really worried about my musical taste and ignorance.

Of this list, Braxton has taken me the longest to get into, but it's happening. Really, I've been listening a long time and have had time to understand some aspects of these and many other greats as well as "non-greats". . . and learn to enjoy many who had not opened up to me before.

voted for brubeck, mulligan and armstrong... but must admit i haven't tried armstrong "seriously enough"

gee!

Brubeck... ok ok... but he was an idol of early Cecil Taylor (along with Tristano, of course), AND he offered Paul Demond many a chance to blow outstanding solos (one that pops up immediately: the Audrey Hepburn dedication on one of the "Time" albums, but you really can't pick one... and it doesn't sound to me like Desmond was unhappy over the situation in the Brubeck quartet - he could have left earlier, too, if he'd wanted to).

well, I wouldn't call Brubeck one of the greats - maybe one of "the annoying" -

Getz, to me, is a narcissist as both person and player -

as for Armstrong, those of you deficient in this area must make amends before the revolution, otherwise I will not be able to protect you -

if it helps, think of the fact that Louis virtually invented 20th century pop music - not only jazz, but rock and roll, and all our ways of singing, would likely not exist if not for him -

Edited by AllenLowe

voted for brubeck, mulligan and armstrong... but must admit i haven't tried armstrong "seriously enough"

Re Armstrong: listen to his solos on "Potato Head Blues" by his Hot Seven.

Re Mulligan: don't know what to say, as Mulligan discs make up the highest number by any artist in my collection.

Re Brubeck: at least we can agree on this! :)

gee!

Brubeck... ok ok... but he was an idol of early Cecil Taylor (along with Tristano, of course), AND he offered Paul Demond many a chance to blow outstanding solos (one that pops up immediately: the Audrey Hepburn dedication on one of the "Time" albums, but you really can't pick one... and it doesn't sound to me like Desmond was unhappy over the situation in the Brubeck quartet - he could have left earlier, too, if he'd wanted to).

in ted gioia's west coast jazz book there is this anecdote that they played in a band together and then desmond made some trick to get rid of brubeck, forgot the details (something like not wkaing him up, claiming the band would disband...), later he took quite some effort to get brubeck back... should really look up the details, desmond is great...

Re Armstrong: listen to his solos on "Potato Head Blues" by his Hot Seven.

Re Mulligan: don't know what to say, as Mulligan discs make up the highest number by any artist in my collection.

Re Brubeck: at least we can agree on this! :)

mulligan - i bought quite a number of his albums; mulligan plays mulligan, the fantasy quartets with baker, one with sims and eardley, that olympia double cd bev was spinning lately... it's not that i could really find a fault in them, it's just they don't excite me ... guess i will have to give them another chance later this year...

I do like the early Getz best, if I am forced to listen...great Haig, Tiny Kahn, Rainey on those live recordings -

he plays great.....but there is just some weird distance, a false emotionalism, that keeps me away. Admittedly, I am in a VERY small minority here....

hm, I don't know... maybe Getz was just all crazy... it's frightening how he plays on those airchecks with Herman, considering his age!

I've enjoyed all of the these guys , from the list Brubeck and Braxton would be the ones I've had most difficulty getting into.

In Brubeck's case I'm not going to push further, I've a handful of sessions which is enough but Braxton is worth more investigation, so I await the Mosaic to be delivered with the Armstrong set for a double dose in Mid -late April :rolleyes:

I like all of them, and can "get into" all of them.

I "got into" Brubeck last, because I had believed all of the negative stereotypes I had read or heard about him, and never listened to his music until about ten years ago. Once I did, I was surprised at how much I liked it.