Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Thanks, Flurin.  I received your mail.

I´m afraid I won´t be able to attend your program on Sunday. But will access to it if it´s archived, be sure!  :tup

EKE, I'll post and mail out a direct link to the archived show once it's there!

then listen y'all. It's fun hearing the guy speak. You may want to record it and play at higher speed. He has this Swiss accent you know... ;)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for Roswell Rudd fans, please listen to Elton Dean's "Rumours of an Incident"

from 1996 with Marcio Mattos, Alex Maguire & the *great* Mark sanders at the kit

first 43 minutes is great - and the remaining 17 (end of the seond set) is also worthwhile

fre improv with nice dancing grooves throughout.

on SLAM

Agree.

Sanders is one of my favorite drummers.

Sound quality is bad, though.

Thanks, Flurin.  I received your mail.

I´m afraid I won´t be able to attend your program on Sunday. But will access to it if it´s archived, be sure!  :tup

EKE, I'll post and mail out a direct link to the archived show once it's there!

then listen y'all. It's fun hearing the guy speak. You may want to record it and play at higher speed. He has this Swiss accent you know... ;)

hehe, that is not a swiss accent, that is swiss dialect, just as I talk all day long... and you dutchies sound strange to my ears, too (there was an announcement by a dutch radio speaker somewhere on the Cherry Multikulti I grabbed...).

ubu (the swiss)

After the Rudd, Wright, and Shorter, I also gave the AEC's "Phase One" a listen, though only in the background. Sounded very nice. Two LP-side-long cuts, slowly building.

Three more general remarks:

- both the Lacy and the Waldron/Lacy have bonus tracks (alternates, some differing in lenght very much from the masters).

- sets are numbered (backside, lower right corner) - mine have nos. between 300 and 2500, so there must be at least 3000 of these.

- the packaging ressembles the one of the Verve Elite discs a bit, only the cardboard is thicker, and three-fold only. The booklets are printed on real nice heavy paper, too. Thumbs up for how these look!

ubu

Then The Wire had it wrong. Let's wait until the Ayler CD shows up  ;)

PMed Jan Strom who confirmed that somebody at The Wire goofed!

The 'Flowers for Albert' track is played by Grimes with David Murray and Hamid Drake.

The Wire will have a correction in their January issue.

Thanks for clearing this! I wondered, as the Wire also mentions "concerts", and "parts of which" were going to be released on Ayler. Also the Wire give Murray composer credits. It did look strange from first sight.

The 'Flowers for Albert' track is played by Grimes with David Murray and Hamid Drake.

Thanks for clearing this! I wondered, as the Wire also mentions "concerts", and "parts of which" were going to be released on Ayler. Also the Wire give Murray composer credits. It did look strange from first sight.

And also, the drummer who plays on that track is Hamid Drake - unless he was cloned.

And also, the drummer who plays on that track is Hamid Drake - unless he was cloned.

Thank God no need to clone him, read brownie's post ;)

From the DMG newsletter:

"STEVE DALACHINSKY DISCOVERS THAT PRINCE LASHA IS ALIVE & WELL!!!

inside story

a flash for all you bird watchers out there. the other night while listening to the heavenly chords of the Odean Pope Sax Choir playing their amazing set of Pope originals and vintage Trane tunes i spied a rare sighting indeed. an odd bird that i had thought was extinct. a bird i thought i'd never see live. a soaring bird of dark plummage. a truly exotic, eccentric bird.

a firebird. the firebird. PRINCE LASHA himself, one of the 4 special guests with the choir, along with Michael Brecker (night 1), James Carter (night 2 and truly amazing), and joe Lovano (night 3). i had the privledge of seeing the last 2 and meeting and talking with Lasha both nights.

Prince Lasha, notable for his partnership with Sonny (Huey) Simmons who he said he named. Notable for 'Firebirds 1-3' (one on Contemporary, the other 2 on his own label Birdseye). 'The Cry' (Contemporary) and a few others including 'Inside Story' on Enja, the only one i didn't have.(i got him to sign all my others.) i first heard him and Simmons on the great Eric Dolphy Memorial album where they do the monumental Lasha tune "Music Matador" and a killin' "Jitterbug Waltz". Lasha and Simmons also appear as sidemen on Elvin's lp on Impulse 'Illuminations'.

anyway at present Lasha is perched atop a mountain overlooking San Francisco where he always welcomes musicians. He said he got comfortable in real estate and doesn't need to scramble for gigs.

this small strange man weilds a hand carved cane a still plays a sizzling alto. i just loved watchin' those feathers fly. each time he soloed on a tune written for him by Pope and appropriately titled Prince Lasha he quoted 'Softly as In a Morning Sunrise' but none-too softly.

well good news is afoot because these 3 nights were recorded and will come out in one configuration or another with Lasha and the others mentioned on Half Note records.

other good news is that Lasha says he plans to re-issue everything of his on his own label in cd format by the 3rd quarter of the coming year. so keep your (birds)eyes & ears peeled to DMG for updates.

oh Eliot Levin among others were in the Choir and he took 2 monster solos. the last of which he did right in front of the master himself, Mr. Ornette Coleman, who was in the house for the second set of the final night and who i had the pleasure of hugging (3x)

what a great way to start the New Year. thanks guys.

steve dalachinsky nyc - the bluenote 12/15/04".

Very much looking forward to Odean Pope's Saxophone Choir releases (incidentally, just listened to his Soul Note CD last week... three times in a row. Pope has my favorite tenor sound).

--------------------------------

Also, looks like Philip Johnston - Gary Lucas Beefheart music project Fast 'n Bulbous is finallyy releasing a CD on Cuneiform: http://cuneiformrecords.com/bandshtml/fast.html

This is a phenomenal band of superb musicians with a really fresh and creative aproach to Beefheart's music. Some info from Philip Johnston's website: http://www.phillipjohnston.com/fast.htm

The station just got a copy of Globe Unity Orchestra & The Choir of the NDR-Broadcast

The title is Hamburg '74 and its on Atavistic's Unheard Music Series.

GU74_250.jpg

Manfred Schoof, Kenny Wheeler - trumpets

Peter Brotzmann, Rudiger Carl, Gerd Dudek, Evan Parker, Michel Pilz - reeds

Gunter Christmann, Paul Rutherford - trombones

Derek Bailey - guitar

Alexander von Schlippenbach - piano

Peter Kowald - bass, tuba

Han Bennink - drums, percussion, clarinet

Paul Lovens - drums, percussion

I like it a lot! Opinions?

Three more general remarks:

- both the Lacy and the Waldron/Lacy have bonus tracks (alternates, some differing in lenght very much from the masters).

How many?

Alan, the Lacy has one alternate. The Lacy/Waldron has two.

All the details are available at this site (brush up your French):

http://free-america.artistes.universalmusic.fr/

Full track listing is under 'Collection'. Bonne chance!

The station just got a copy of Globe Unity Orchestra & The Choir of the NDR-Broadcast

The title is Hamburg '74 and its on Atavistic's Unheard Music Series.

GU74_250.jpg

Manfred Schoof, Kenny Wheeler - trumpets

Peter Brotzmann, Rudiger Carl, Gerd Dudek, Evan Parker, Michel Pilz - reeds

Gunter Christmann, Paul Rutherford - trombones

Derek Bailey - guitar

Alexander von Schlippenbach - piano

Peter Kowald - bass, tuba

Han Bennink - drums, percussion, clarinet

Paul Lovens - drums, percussion

I like it a lot! Opinions?

Can you elaborate a bit on choir's contribution here?

That Marco Eneidi Sound on Survival live tape (which John B mentioned/offered some months ago) has some quite exhilirating playing.

Daniel Humair Trio w/Eskelin at Willisau, courtesy this time of king ubu, is also a good one. I could have done with some solos' being a bit shorter but when is that not the case. If not the best light in which I've heard the musicians, they're certainly not on an off-night. Some strong solos by Eskelin and Ducret doesn't fall much short either. I kind of wish there was more going back and forth between the two as happens near the end of a couple of tunes, iirc. I like the tunes, too. Thanks ubu.

Can you elaborate a bit on choir's contribution here?

There is a review of this disc posted at Dusted. They make the album, and the choir's contribution, sound fairly bizarre.

Yeah the choir definately takes away from the experience. But the band will occaisonally (out of nowhere) play some beautiful harmonized horn passage quoting a standard.

Friends and fellow rats, some have gotten this announcement via email, yesterday, some not, so I post it again here, to make sure no one misses out:

Next Sunday, you get a chance to hear a very special radio show on Radio LoRa. Sandro Schaub and me met and interviewed irish-swiss guitar player Christy Doran and swiss drummer Fredy Studer recently, on the occasion of their new “Play the Music of Jimi Hendrix” project.

We heard one of the first concerts of that tour in Zurich, and it was great! The band features Christy on guitar, Fredy on drums, Kim Clarke on bass, and Erika Stucky on vocals.

In our radio show you will hear excerpts of a concert they played in Munich, close to the end of their tour, when everything fell together as it should. From these recordings a forthcoming album will be produced, slated for release in Spring 2005.

Our show will air on Sunday, December 19, 2004, 20:00 p.m. to 21:00 p.m. (European time, obviously).

You can listen to Radio LoRa in and around Zurich on FM 97.5 MHZ, and you can listen to internet livestreams via http://www.lora.ch/webradio.php.

The show will also be archived for at least a few weeks, just below the web radio links, in the “Archiv”-section (same link as above). It should be available a few days after it has aired.

Hope you’ll join in, the music is certainly worth getting an earful, even if you don’t understand the interview part (which we conducted in swiss german).

now

Exceptionally behind the times in this thread (oh, almost 4,000 posts), but I just heard Gianni Gebbia's Arcana Major/Sonic Tarots Session for the first time this weekend. It is indeed, as the expression here goes, The Poop.

Unlike so many other solo saxophone projects, I especially like that Gebbia is willing to keep his improvisations short. One to return to. :tup

Glad you liked the Gebbia... uh... turd ;)

John B, hope you liked the show! (did couw also listen? I maintain that swiss german does not sound nearly as strange as Dutch, though with Hans also in here, I might be a minority...)

Gokhan, you're certainly right regarding the lenght of tunes on the Humair Willisau disc. Thanks for your review, though! :tup

ubu