Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

As I hadn't read anything in print about them, I wanted a more general history and the Gould book has some glowing reviews. I saw the Revolution in the Head book yesterday and took a brief glance at it but it seemed more like a song by song analysis or is that too cursory a conclusion on my part?

If it's a bio you want, 'Revolution in the Head' won't do the trick. It is as you suggest more analytical/descriptive of the music (without being technical). It also has an intriguing social analysis in the long introduction.

But don't be scared of it - you won't need a detailed chronological knowledge to make sense of it. I always find it greatly increases my pleasure in the albums to read the Macdonald descriptions first. I once went through most of the albums song-by-song, pausing to read what he had to say first.

I had a funny feeling you'd fold. :rhappy: :rhappy: :rhappy:

I was pretty frickin' obvious wasn't it. :lol: And btw, on the Abbey Road remaster I can hear a whole 'nother layer of crickets. In fact I think I can them breath.

I was able to get the Ray Price Bear Family box for "just" $170ish, so I can have my honky tonk and eat mono Liverpool facsimile goodness too for what the former lists for. Not that anyone pays list, but you gotta rationalize ya know. :)

I was pretty frickin' obvious wasn't it. :lol: And btw, on the Abbey Road remaster I can hear a whole 'nother layer of crickets. In fact I think I can them breath.

Funny about the crickets. I was driving listening to it and said, "damn, how'd those crickets get in my car?" Then, I realized it was the song.

Yeah, before I get booted off here:

As a collector (who also happens to like music, first and foremost ... what a coincidence), I bought both the mono and the stereo boxes.

Yes, not everything is perfect, but I got my money's worth, much more so than with one or t'other Mosaic set that I was sonically (more than) displeased with.

And although hearses don't have luggage racks, I'm taking ALL of my Mosaics AND the Beatles remasters with me.

I know, good riddance, as some of you might say, at least in case of the Beatles.

;)

Seriously though, the Mono mixes are what attracted me to the Beatles eons ago, and I, personally, am enjoying the hell out of that box.

The stereo remasters reactivate some of my schizophrenic tendencies at times, but they are equally good. On my system, which is middle-of-the-road for about $8000 or around there, this stuff sounds (almost) tremendous. Finally, a bunch of sound engineers who didn't go over the top or go with the flow.

In my mind, what they produced is proof for the fact that we old farts (yep, that includes you) need to be catered to.

I'm old-fashioned enough not to give a hoot about the other three trillion people.

And crickets?

I lived in Venezuela long enough to know what they should sound like.

They've only lost the tips of their wings here or there, so no complaints from this side of the pond.

Cheers!

Funny about the crickets. I was driving listening to it and said, "damn, how'd those crickets get in my car?" Then, I realized it was the song.

I swear this is true. A grasshopper ended up coming into the house and into the stereo room not long after I played Abbey Road. Coincidence? I think not!

As I hadn't read anything in print about them, I wanted a more general history and the Gould book has some glowing reviews. I saw the Revolution in the Head book yesterday and took a brief glance at it but it seemed more like a song by song analysis or is that too cursory a conclusion on my part?

If it's a bio you want, 'Revolution in the Head' won't do the trick. It is as you suggest more analytical/descriptive of the music (without being technical). It also has an intriguing social analysis in the long introduction.

But don't be scared of it - you won't need a detailed chronological knowledge to make sense of it. I always find it greatly increases my pleasure in the albums to read the Macdonald descriptions first. I once went through most of the albums song-by-song, pausing to read what he had to say first.

The thing I love about 'Revolution in the Head' is that Macdonald is not at all in awe of his subject/subjects. He really is quite harsh on them and doesn't go along with the whole everything they did was amazing atitude you sometimes encounter with the Fab Four. I think he writes very well, I picked up some of the Stereo individual discs, chickened out on the box, and while I was playing "Abbey Road" I was perusing the book. His description of "You Never Give Me Your Money" is fantastic, but sometimes you read some of them and you think "Jesus, I hope none of the Beatles read that, it was scathing".

If you get it make sure you get the updated one.

Have any of you read the Jonathan Gould book, "Can't Buy Me Love." I picked it up tonight and find it hard to put down.

Anthology (which should be called Mythology but makes a nice coffee table book)

Just curious about your take on the Anthology book. I purchased it some 8 years ago, however, it has pretty much sat on the coffee table since then; I've never spent any time reading it, though I have perused the images from time to time.

I was under the impression that just like the similarly named documentary the Anthology text was supposed to be the Beatles "in their own words" so I guess I'm wondering in what sort way embellishment / mythologizing takes place. I hadn't heard this before so I'm quite curious.

Oh, and thanks for your other reading recommendations.

On my system, which is middle-of-the-road for about $8000 or around there

You must live on a much fancier road than I do!

I was thinking the same thing. If $8000 is "middle of the road," my system isn't even a cobblestone street. More like a dusty, unpaved, country footpath...to the outhouse...

What I wouldn't give to have my system be a dusty, unpaved, country footpath...to the outhouse...mine is the Outhouse!

Hm.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that?

Compared to many others here (I started a thread on audio equipment as deus62 here a few years back), my system really sucks. Old Marantz A-class (I'd call it "consumer") amp and one of their CD players, a pair of pretty decent Dynaudio speakers (1.8 MkII). That's it. Cost a fortune way back when ... today, on eBay, you could probably get it for a lot (!) less.

I'm happy with it, but in my dreams, I'd buy ... and ... upgrade ... *groan*

Never enough cash.

The important thing: If the music sounds good to you on the system you have, that's a good system for you, no matter what it cost(s).

Cheers!

I was thinking the same thing. If $8000 is "middle of the road," my system isn't even a cobblestone street. More like a dusty, unpaved, country footpath...to the outhouse...

What I wouldn't give to have my system be a dusty, unpaved, country footpath...to the outhouse...mine is the Outhouse!

Mine's the toilet.... well, except for the turntable! :)

Edited by Big Al

Well, I'm working my way through the mono remasters, and I have to say...I've certainly never heard the Beatles like THIS before! Great music; as someone said upthread, "who knew, there's BASS on these records!"; I'll be interested to pick up a couple of stereo sides, but I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

I aspire to the toilet... once I'm flush with cash.

Well, I'm working my way through the mono remasters, and I have to say...I've certainly never heard the Beatles like THIS before! Great music; as someone said upthread, "who knew, there's BASS on these records!"; I'll be interested to pick up a couple of stereo sides, but I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

No question, Paul and Ringo - as musicians - are the greatest beneficiaries of these remasters. The bass and drums sound superb...

I aspire to the toilet... once I'm flush with cash.

ooooohhhhhh nooooooooo....... :bad:

:rofl:

No question, Paul and Ringo - as musicians - are the greatest beneficiaries of these remasters. The bass and drums sound superb...

I agree 100%. Thinking back, the drums and bass didn't even register with me on the old recordings. How about that cowbell in "Drive My Car" or "Taxman." Never even noticed it the first time around.

Ringo's drumming, I've discovered, is fantastic...I guess this makes me a little puzzled over the story I've heard that Paul would come into the studio during the recording of the White Album and lay his own drum tracks for some of the cuts, discarding the work that Ringo had done. I still can't wrap my head around that...either my assessment of Ringo's skill is not accurate, Paul was a dyed-in-the-wool perfectionist with a big ego, or these stories regarding Paul are unfounded.

Edited by Norm

I agree 100%. Thinking back, the drums and bass didn't even register with me on the old recordings. How about that cowbell in "Drive My Car" or "Taxman." Never even noticed it the first time around.

Ringo's drumming, I've discovered, is fantastic...I guess this makes me a little puzzled over the story I've heard that Paul would come into the studio during the recording of the White Album and lay his own drum tracks for some of the cuts, discarding the work that Ringo had done. I still can't wrap my head around that...either my assessment of Ringo's skill is not accurate, Paul was a dyed-in-the-wool perfectionist with a big ego, or these stories regarding Paul are unfounded.

At one point when Ringo was proclaiming himself to be the best drummer in the world, Paul reportedly said "best drummer in the world, he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles". True story, he could be just as acidic as John.

Not to sound like a shill for "Revolution In The Head", but it has loads of juicy details about the fights and bitching that went on during the sessions, eg Ringo isn't even on a good few tracks on the White Album, ie ones with drumming of course, and it's actually Paul doing the guitar solo on "Taxman".

Ringo Starr, warts 'n all, is/was a severely underrated drummer.

Yes, quirky at times and - as he often admitted himself - not good enough here or there, but what he laid down on those tracks just fits. Some of it is actually quite difficult to get just right.

Ringo contributed a lot to that group sound, added to its charm (the only word I can think of right now) and I often try to imagine what it might have sounded like, had modern and technically brilliant (but often completely lifeless) drummers such as Chad W(h)ackerman, Terry Bozzio, Gregg Bissonette, that Rush dude or any of the others played for the Beatles.

Makes me shudder.

I neither know nor care if it was more by accident than anything else, but Ringo very often just seemed to come up with what was near perfect for a song (and in that way, he was actually a very musical drummer).

Or it's all just because I've heard so much of the Beatles' music that I simply couldn't imagine them without Ringo's contribution?

No idea.

Edited by neveronfriday