Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Let me see if I have this straight. You have the mono versions, several of which also include a stereo version from 1965, then you have stereo versions based on an '80's mix, and all these versions have slight vocal and instrumental variations... Is Phil Schaap involved in this??

It's almost as if they KNEW that people were still going to be obsessing over all of this stuff some forty-odd years later so they made sure to put in lots of little details for us to dwell on...

Only two albums (Help and Rubber Soul) are based on the 80s mixes. All of the rest of the reissues are based on the original stereo masters (although I did notice that two tracks on Please Please Me are in mono. This is because the original two track tapes were destroyed before the stereo LP was mixed, so they originally released those two tracks in "fake stereo." The fake stereo has been removed, and those tracks are now the sole mono tracks on an otherwise stereo album).

The Mono versions of Revolver and Peppers are just amazing. I never really liked Peppers all that much for some strange reason but the Mono version just did something for me. I am already reconsidering my decision not to get the Stereo box because I just know I'm going to want to hear all the Stereo versions in the end. It really is "put a smile on your face" kinda music. :g :g :g

Wow, I sure was not ready for that crazy little bit of voices at the end of Pepper's! THAT is not on my lp.

That's strange......it's definitely on the mono cd.

You were right --- listening to this was a very different experience for me in mono. I'd even say better in a lot of ways. I know it's pretty pricey, but I'm really enjoying this boxed set.

Edited by JETman

The Mono versions of Revolver and Peppers are just amazing. I never really liked Peppers all that much for some strange reason but the Mono version just did something for me. I am already reconsidering my decision not to get the Stereo box because I just know I'm going to want to hear all the Stereo versions in the end. It really is "put a smile on your face" kinda music. :g :g :g

I went into this with only a passing interest in the stereo remasters, I was more interested in the mono stuff, but to my surprise the stereo set is just fantastic. Even my missus commented on the sound quality and she's usually into Brahms and Rachmaninoff .

Wow, I sure was not ready for that crazy little bit of voices at the end of Pepper's! THAT is not on my lp.

You were right --- listening to this was a very different experience for me in mono. I'd even say better in a lot of ways. I know it's pretty pricey, but I'm really enjoying this boxed set.

Yeah, the mono cd is a UK LP replica. It's not on my mono US LP.

Yeah, the mono cd is a UK LP replica. It's not on my mono US LP.

Gotcha!

I was also surprised. Until now I had only heard it on the radio. Definitely cool to have, though.

I went into this with only a passing interest in the stereo remasters, I was more interested in the mono stuff, but to my surprise the stereo set is just fantastic. Even my missus commented on the sound quality and she's usually into Brahms and Rachmaninoff .

Don't know if you've been hitting the local shops...but if so, are the JPN stereo releases that are being sold individually (not in box sets) actual mini-lps like the mono ones, or digi sorta things?

Thanks for that link. Since I haven't yet heard the mono (I have it on order from Amazon), can't comment on that but I think the stereo sounds fantastic. Some of the quality on Abbey Road blew me away (I know it's not on the mono box) but it was still amazing nonetheless. If for some reason, the mono box doesn't come through, I guess I'll survive.

I am already reconsidering my decision not to get the Stereo [discs] because I just know I'm going to want to hear all the Stereo versions in the end. It really is "put a smile on your face" kinda music. :g :g :g

I know what you mean. The Beatlemaniac in me that's been suppressed for the last 20-odd years has broken free and I feel like I'm hearing this music fresh for the first time all over again. Only this time, I have a passenger: my son, who is also enjoying all of this to no end! We also have Rock Band Beatles and have yet to get tired of playing those songs, despite the fact that we've played them at least ten times each.

I tell you what: if you REALLY want to get an appreciation for the level of musicianship, just play this game. Try an duplicate what these guys are playing. In some ways, this is more revelatory than hearing the new&improved CDs! Paul's bass lines and Ringo's drumming, while never technically astonishing, are still brilliant and imaginative in their own rights.

Having grown up on the Capitol albums, I have to say that I prefer "Beatles '65" to "Beatles for Sale" (and I like the US "Rubber Soul" at least as much as I like the UK version).

Blasphemy I know, but I actually prefer the US version, despite the fact that it does NOT include my favorite individual song on it: George's "If I Needed Someone."

I wanna know when this stuff's coming out in Quadrophonic -

Don't buy the Quad CD's. Wait for the special Quad 8-Track format edition, no doubt will sound fantastic (there's just nothing to compare to the "warmness" of the sound of a first generation 8-track). Hopefully will also be put out on cassette without any Dolby applied, as we all know that any noise reduction detracts from the original music. That will also sound fantastic. No doubt they're having hissy-fits on this topic over on the Hoffman forum.

OK, that's not helping me, or what's left of my bank balance, not helping at all. :tophat: :tophat: :tophat:

Edited by Cliff Englewood

I am already reconsidering my decision not to get the Stereo [discs] because I just know I'm going to want to hear all the Stereo versions in the end. It really is "put a smile on your face" kinda music. :g :g :g

I know what you mean. The Beatlemaniac in me that's been suppressed for the last 20-odd years has broken free and I feel like I'm hearing this music fresh for the first time all over again. Only this time, I have a passenger: my son, who is also enjoying all of this to no end! We also have Rock Band Beatles and have yet to get tired of playing those songs, despite the fact that we've played them at least ten times each.

I know what you mean, although I really thought I was done with the Fab Four, used to listen to them a lot 10 years ago. I was always curious about the Mono stuff just because those in the know used to swear by them. Listening to Pepper in Mono proves the point, "She's Leaving" is just kinda mind blowing, I never really liked the song before, always though it was too sappy but it just works for me now.

BTW, I dug out "Revolution in the Head" again and was flicking through it while giving the White Album a spin, I had totally forgot how bitchy Ian Macdonald could be about some of the tunes.

Don't know if you've been hitting the local shops...but if so, are the JPN stereo releases that are being sold individually (not in box sets) actual mini-lps like the mono ones, or digi sorta things?

Not exactly sure what digi sort of things are.

They look like this-

http://67.55.46.213/media/images/music/abb...-remastered.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0NCtJDyAMNs/SezM...0/New+Image.JPG

Edited by kinuta