Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

The three guitar solos on The End you can really pick up on who is playing which solo now.

I thought that was all Paul. No?

One each, George, John, Paul. Forgetting the order.

John is the one with all the distortion. George is using the slide. That's how I identify them. I believe the order is Paul, George, John...

A remaster wasn't necessary to tell that though. Sorry, I don't mean to sound snotty, but some of the stuff I read about the remasters revealing has always been there, whether you had your parents shitty beat up vinyl or Ebbett's CDRs or a vinyl dub on low bias tape. Maybe because as a teen I was buying mail order import LPs with mowing money that I too spent the time to really listen (and the album collection was a 200th or so what it is now too, which makes a huge difference), just like people who are excited about buying the remasters and (re)learning about the differences between stereo & mono. Oh hell, at some point I'll finally cave but for now I'm about to lose my Bear Family virginity and don't want to be talked into any of this. I have it all and then some more, other than apparently there's a stereo "I Call Your Name" I've never heard as I own it in mono on a 4 song vinyl EP...wait, though maybe I have it on...Oh who the hell cares, I'm not going to be talked into this now. What I have sounds pretty #$@!&!@ good - I know cause I was playing again. Rather than 40 year old music it'll be 50 & 70 instead. :lol: The mono box I can catch on the next format if need be. Screw you guys, I'm going to wait for the mono in 5.1 on blu-ray!

And you know, when you catch yourself getting excited about loving LP reproductions and you have the things they're reproducing, take a deep breath and think for a second.

This is like an ex-smoker hanging out with a smoker, enjoying a wee bit of 2nd hand smoke while resisting the urge. Coming up on 10 years on the smoke avoidance, but I'm playing with fire here. And really, I should upgrade the overplayed Abbey Road from MSFL, parent's US Apple and the dub of the UK vinyl...of course it's better to buy in bulk...gah, I'm outta here.

I don't think so - think about it Quincy -

new 24/96 mastering that puts YOU in the studio with the boys;

the heavy breathing of George as he wonders why he even bothered (since Paul is playing all the lead guitar parts)

Yoko laying in her bed in the middle of the studio, wailing her lonely avant garde tune.

George Martin phoning his wife to say he'll be late for dinner.

the lonely sigh of the janitor as he waits for everyone to clear out so he clean up and go home.....

and think of those giant lawns you can still mow,,,,,,,,,,,,

but now I have an actual and serious question - can I assume that the single-cd stereo versions will be around for a while or do I need to grab them right away, even though I have no money this month -

Supposedly the stereos will be around forever, or at least until the next format comes along. The mini-docs on the stereo cd's will only be on them for a limited time though. It's the monos that are limited, and which can only be obtained in the box set.

Hope this helps.

thanks - you know, it occurs to me that I can take the stereos and, with my digital sound program, put them back into mono - anyone tried this?

This will make many of them significantly worse - unless your software allows you to adjust the center phantom channel in the fold down. The main problem with most Beatles and 60s pop stereo mixes is that the vocals are in the center, and they tend to dominate the mix. The mono generally has a better balance between vocals and instruments, and hence have way more punch. The only way I can listen to these in stereo is by reducing the center channel.

The part about those "documentaries" somehow escaped me... are they also on the mono discs in the box? Is there a DVD in the mono box as well?

No and no, the mini documentaries and DVD can only be found in the stereo box.

(edited after checking the track and content listings again)

Edited by J.A.W.

The part about those "documentaries" somehow escaped me... are they also on the mono discs in the box? Is there a DVD in the mono box as well?

No and no, as far as I know.

Thanks, that clears the first half... now, how long are these documentaries, are they worth having? What do they consist of?

well, as I write I'm listening to the new Revolver in stereo - very nice - important to remember, by the way, that most of these recordings will never sound 20k-20khz, since they tried to pack so much info on such small tape. There's probably only a few tunes - and I'm thinking of some of the very "acoustic" sounding material on the American version of Rubber Soul - that'll sound super clean.

that said, I'm loving the stereo Revolver - can't wait to take it home and add some reverb and a new mix-

I apologize if this had been discussed in this thread previously or if it should be self-evident, but I have a question about the pricing structures of the two new sets.

I'm wondering why the mono box set, containing less material (13 discs vs. 17 including DVD) than the stereo box set is more expensive. Amazon's price for the stereo set is $180 whereas it is $230 for the mono box. Is this due primarily to the fact that the mono box set is a "limited release" and thus will be of greater value over time or is due moreso to the fact that more labor and technology has to be deployed for remastering mono albums.

I have bought several of the stereo remasters (individually) and ordered the mono set from DVD Pacific, though I've been informed by their staff that it was listed available ("low stock") in error when I ordered it on Friday (according to them, they haven't had any stock since 9/9/09) so its unclear when it will become available.

Edited by Norm

I'm not sure there's really one answer. It is a more limited pressing than the stereo cds, and it is also a "better" box, IMO. The mono's mini-lp sleeves are much nicer than the digipaks on the stereo discs. The discs have individual plastic sleeves, and cardboard sleeves, as well as a plastic sleeve for the lp sleeve as well. Plus the mono box has a separate booklet, whereas the stereo box doesn't (but it does have individual booklets for those).

I don't think it has to do with the mastering being any more expensive, though I could be wrong.

Edited by Aggie87

The mono box was manufactured and hand-assembled in Japan. Better cd quality than exists in the US as well. Typically, individual Japanese mini-lps of this type go for $20-$25 a pop. At the MSRP, these work out to $300/13 = $23 per. This seems to be in the ballpark. I believe you needn't look further than this to explain the price differential between the mono and stereo sets.

Argh! Passed by an independent shop that was selling them for $11 so I grabbed Beatles For Sale & Abbey Road. Would have gotten the White Album too had they had it as my copies of that one could be improved upon. Unlike some I've never had a severe reaction to stereo versions after hearing mono, nor do I consider the Dexterized songs to be abominations. I'm glad to have variations of it all considering I've heard the songs 10,000 times or whatever. Darn the luck Beatles For Sale does sound very nice, very very nice - the drums and acoustic guitar especially. Dammit, all the compliments about the clarity is correct, at least with the initial impression. This album remained fresher for me than any of them as it was probably the least played when I was young. I love the Lennon lead vocal original songs, liked the covers and always found "Baby's In Black" to be such an odd choice to add to their short live sets. And "Mr. Moonlight" is so bad that I love it. It's a fun album to sing along to when doing dishes.

Hell, I could see getting it all...again. Still, as I live in a college town I think I can pick off the stereos at my leisure as they'll show up used left & right, especially before winter break and then again after as the kiddies need money and cash in presents from parents. But I may fold and have to get the mono box after all. Aye... :rolleyes: