The Organissimo tribute CD

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-1 Laura Mercer/Raskin

-1 denotes one vote for and one vote against :wacko:

:D:lol::D:lol::D

Seriously guys, whatever you put on the CD I'm gonna love.

And I still wanna write the liners. I'm just gonna assume you're still in contract negotiations with Jim Sangrey, and that's why I haven't heard back from you. :rolleyes::D;) (Actually, after his little mini-masterpiece in the Miles Davis Nefertiti AOW, I'm surprised Sony and/or Blue Note hasn't started banging down his door!)

Holy Freak! :o That list!!!

The submission period is officially over.

:D It's great, actually, to see this level of interest from you guys. I don't think it will be that hard to figure out what to include in the project, so it's all good. Would like to get a copy of that Miles tune, since everyone jumped on that, as well as the Smiths tune. I think we've got access to most everything else.

Man, I cannot wait to hear that Smiths tune done up Organissimo-style!! Seriously, stuff like that has a way of getting you noticed by a new audience.

Although I was weird and picked up on Radiohead from hearing Brad Mehldau cover "Exit Music For A Film" - I think many more people discovered Brad from originially being Radiohead nuts (and those were people who weren't all coming at Brad's music from the jazz side of the world).

Similarly, Jason Moran and Greg Osby have each covered different Bjork tunes on a couple of their BN releases.

The Bad Plus have covered Nirvana and Blondie (on disc).

Dave Douglas covered Rufus Wainwright and Bjork too (on disc).

And Geoff Keezer has covered Radiohead too.

And, our own Trumpet Guy (Phil Grenadier) has covered Radiohead and Fiona Apple.

So, if the Smiths tune goes over well on the Organissimo 'board' disc, you might want to consider including it on your next 'official' (meaning 'real') CD. Seriously.

Was that you that voted against, Big Al?! :P I wasn't paying attention to who posted what. I'm just glad I wasn't the guy who proposed "Laura!" :P:P:D

Hey! That was me!

Any doubts, boys, just listen to Jimmy Smith tackle it on "the Master." Listen to that and you're listening to God himself on the organ.

I stick with my nomination of "Laura."

Better Late Than Never. In no particular order...

- Love to hear you guys take a stab at "Wee Dot"

- How about "Take Five"? That song needs a funk treatment, and you guys are

just the ones to do it!

- Sister Sadie?

- Always enjoy hearing the ballad "My Ship". Perhaps even a vocal?

Looking forward to hearing the results!

I don't know if you guys considered some live tracks, but that could be another source to fill the disc. Especially if you alredy have some recorded.

Heck, if you've got the tapes already, you could burn some live stuff for a CDR to make some dough and satisfy us fans while we wait on the tribute disc and the new studio disc. (More rare recordings for my future Ebay auction as well!)

Man, I cannot wait to hear that Smiths tune done up Organissimo-style!! Seriously, stuff like that has a way of getting you noticed by a new audience.

So, if the Smiths tune goes over well on the Organissimo 'board' disc, you might want to consider including it on your next 'official' (meaning 'real') CD. Seriously.

If you guys need a copy of it, give me a mailing addie and I'll burn a copy of their greatest hits album for you.

I accidentally goofed on the quote part...but Keezer also covered my other favorite English band (the one not named the Smiths): My Bloody Valentine.

Rooster: You need to put on some James Brown and check out your avatar. This happened over at Jim's last night. It's hilarious: the funky chicken! :lol:

Specifically to "There It Is". Your rooster avatar was compin' along with the rhythm guitarist. Funky as hell! :)

I've since changed my Avatar yet again, but in case anyone missed it - it was briefly this...

rooster.gif

• 3 weeks later...