Your Top 5 Mosaic Wish List

Mine are as follows. I welcome suggestions from those who already have some or all of these as to which should zoom to the top of the list. I'm leaning right now toward the Parker or Gillespie, but I could easily go for any one of these.

I realize some of these are on back order, but I'll probably only get one or two of them this year and can wait, so that's not an issue, really.

Charlie Parker -- Complete Benedetti Recordings

Dizzie Gillespie -- Verve-Philips Small Group Sessions

Chu Berry -- Columbia and Victor Sessions

Count Basie -- Clef-Verve Fifties Studio Recordings

Bennie Goodman -- Columbia and Oheh Orchestra Sessions

Elvin

I thought you already had Elvin Jones. :huh: You've been telling everybody how great it is and how it's even your favorite Mosaic! In fact your high recommendation along with others has vaulted that set to my Top 5 list.

I also need to throw in the 4-CD Shorty Rogers set somewhere in the middle. However, that one looks very hard to obtain at a reasonable price. (I had the same problem with Buddy De Franco until recently.) I have one session on CD and enjoy it tremendously.

Of the currently available sets, the Armstrong Decca is next on my list.

Of the out-of-print sets I don't have, I wished I had bought the Ellington Capitol set, the Chico Hamilton set, the Tristano set, and the earlier Armstrong All-Stars Decca set.

Whoops... :blush2: :unsure: :unsure: I misread the title... I thought it was a Top 5 list... (Well the following list is to my Top 3.. of those I own... )

Elvin

Farlow

Anita O'Day

And probably Oscar Peterson... which is in my listening queue... (Getting through the Lionel Hampton now...)

I have 20 of the big boxes and 5 selects. There really isn't a lot out there available or out-of-pint that I'd really be itching for vs. "would be nice to have". There would have been many more but by chance, I ran into someone who was willing to trade copies of OOP sets (apologies to those who are offended by such practices) so that filled a lot of titles that would have been on my wish list. Having said that I'd like to have:

1. Elvin Jones

2. Dizzy Gillespie

3. Randy Weston Select

4. Gerry Mulligan Concert Band

Edited by mikelz777

Whoops... :blush2: :unsure: :unsure: I misread the title... I thought it was a Top 5 list... (Well the following list is to my Top 3.. of those I own... )

Hey, no sweat. :cool: For a while there I thought you're local library was better stocked than mine is. (Believe it or not, someone donated the Chu Berry set shortly after it was released. I've also borrowed the Shearing, Bix, Hackett, and Buddy Rich sets.)

I have all those in print.

I'd like to find second sets at cheap prices of the VeeJay ones and the Kid Ory. . . I'd give those as gifts. Fat chance right?

So I have to say. . .my wish list seems to be of sets not yet planned and not likely to appear!

The Complete Recordings of Babs Gonzales. (Michael Cuscuna replied to my suggestion "Lon, you're out of your mind!" I thought that was the most appropriate response ever!)

The Roulette Recordings of Phineas Newborn

The Jubilee Record Label Jazz Sessions (I've never suggested this, and I'm not sure the size of the label, but it could be really cool)

Edited by jazzbo

Guest Bixieland

Mine are as follows. I welcome suggestions from those who already have some or all of these as to which should zoom to the top of the list. I'm leaning right now toward the Parker or Gillespie, but I could easily go for any one of these.

I realize some of these are on back order, but I'll probably only get one or two of them this year and can wait, so that's not an issue, really.

Of those, I have the Diz, the Chu and the Basie --- and the other two (Parker and Goodman) are on my wish list as well!!

The Basie doesn't seem to get much love...but I think it's fantastic. That's one of those sets that I can blindly choose any one of the disks (of which there are 8) and be guaranteed a good time. It's a feast!

I've been preaching the Dizzie and Chu around here for awhile, so I absolutely recommend those. The Diz set is awesome. Many say there's better Diz out there...which may be true, I don't know. This set covers a great variety and it's all fun. Excellent sound quality and Dizzie's brilliant playing make this one of my favs. It's accessible too. The Chu's great as well and has become a personal favorite (recently dethroned by the new Armstrong as my #1).

Here's my wish list....(7 not 5!)

Bennie Goodman -- Columbia and Okeh Orchestra Sessions (Got bumped by Chu, which was probably wise (thanks Jazzbo!) Many complain of too many alt takes.)

Charlie Parker -- Complete Benedetti Recordings (this one tends to get bumped down all the time!)

Sonny Stitt -- The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions (If it ever goes back in print...hopefully by Christmas?!)

Hank Mobley -- The Complete Blue Note Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions (as often mentioned in the "Favorite Mosaic.." thread)

Oscar Peterson -- The Complete Clef/Mercury Rec. Of Oscar Peterson Trio (Wonderfully accessible. Gets bumped by more obscure stuff, like Chu.)

Jack Teagarden -- The Complete Roulette Jack Teagarden Sessions (Not much said on this. If I had $70 right now, I'd have a tracking #)

Buddy Rich -- Classic Emarcy, Verve Small Grp Buddy Rich Sessions (I bet this is a sleeper - in terms of its popularity, of course.)

Bennie Goodman -- Columbia and Okeh Orchestra Sessions (Got bumped by Chu, which was probably wise (thanks Jazzbo!) Many complain of too many alt takes.)

Charlie Parker -- Complete Benedetti Recordings (this one tends to get bumped down all the time!)

Sonny Stitt -- The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions (If it ever goes back in print...hopefully by Christmas?!)

Hank Mobley -- The Complete Blue Note Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions (as often mentioned in the "Favorite Mosaic.." thread)

Oscar Peterson -- The Complete Clef/Mercury Rec. Of Oscar Peterson Trio (Wonderfully accessible. Gets bumped by more obscure stuff, like Chu.)

Jack Teagarden -- The Complete Roulette Jack Teagarden Sessions (Not much said on this. If I had $70 right now, I'd have a tracking #)

Buddy Rich -- Classic Emarcy, Verve Small Grp Buddy Rich Sessions (I bet this is a sleeper - in terms of its popularity, of course.)

I picked up the Buddy Rich Mosaic on a lark because there happened to be a seller on Half.com selling new/sealed copies of the Universal set for only around $65.00 so I couldn't pass it up. I wasn't particularly interested in Buddy Rich nor was I in the market for this set at the time but I picked it up based on the fact that it was a Mosaic and it was new/cheap. At the very least, I figured if I didn't like it, I could easily sell it for what I paid for it if not more. I was very pleasantly surprised by the set and ended up enjoying it much more than I ever expected. This box set swings with a capital "S". I was a bit wary because I'm not a fan of drum solos. I haven't listened to it in a while but from what I can recall, there are less than a handful of drum solos that reached the point of becoming an irritant which in the total scope of the entire set, is a very small irritant. It's certainly not something that would stop me from buying the set if I were interested in it and this is coming from someone who prefers that there never be an extended drum solo in a number. For the most part, I became more and more able to appreciate Rich's incredible drumming skills during his solos. I'd agree with your assessment that this one is a sleeper in terms of what I've seen as far as lack of buzz and discussion are concerned. I'd definitely recommend it.

Don't let that Mobley set get away from you.

Edited by mikelz777

... For the most part, I became more and more able to appreciate Rich's incredible drumming skills during his solos. I'd agree with your assessment that this one is a sleeper in terms of what I've seen as far as lack of buzz and discussion are concerned. I'd definitely recommend it.

Don't let that Mobley set get away from you.

That's awfully persuasive, and I might reconsider the Rich, which isn't on my radar at all. It is kind of interesting, since I have the Elvin Jones and Max Roach sets, so it isn't that I am against drummers (I'm just trying to prioritize really).

I would agree. Get the Mobley. It's probably not that long until it times out (I think this was actually the first Mosaic I ever bought and that was a while ago), and then there will be a lot of bitter tears shed.

Eric

Of those, I have the Diz, the Chu and the Basie --- and the other two (Parker and Goodman) are on my wish list as well!!

The Basie doesn't seem to get much love...but I think it's fantastic. That's one of those sets that I can blindly choose any one of the disks (of which there are 8) and be guaranteed a good time. It's a feast!

I've been preaching the Dizzie and Chu around here for awhile, so I absolutely recommend those. The Diz set is awesome. Many say there's better Diz out there...which may be true, I don't know. This set covers a great variety and it's all fun. Excellent sound quality and Dizzie's brilliant playing make this one of my favs. It's accessible too. The Chu's great as well and has become a personal favorite (recently dethroned by the new Armstrong as my #1).

(...)

Thanks for your comments Bix on the ones I'd listed.

I'd put the Mobley and Teagarden at the top of the list. You definitely don't want to miss out on those.

I've owned the Stitt, but was wholeheartedly unimpressed. It was the only Mosaic set I've returned under the Mosaic satisfaction guarantee. I wasn't proud about it, but $154 is a pretty good chunk of change.

I'd put the Mobley and Teagarden at the top of the list. You definitely don't want to miss out on those.

I've owned the Stitt, but was wholeheartedly unimpressed. It was the only Mosaic set I've returned under the Mosaic satisfaction guarantee. I wasn't proud about it, but $154 is a pretty good chunk of change.

I love the Teagarden Roulettes. Jack stretches out on the live stuff from the Roundtable, and his groups, while not full of big names, were really very good. There are also some wonderful shorter things, including a version of "I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You" that makes you forget Tommy Dorsey ever played it. (To be fair, Dorsey himself was in awe of Teagarden and respected his playing more, I think, than almost anyone else.) I don't know that it's a very big seller, but I think you'll enjoy that set if you get it. 'Course, I'm an old trombone player, so I might be kind of biased!

greg mo

The Complete Recordings of Babs Gonzales. (Michael Cuscuna replied to my suggestion "Lon, you're out of your mind!"

If the lack of original cover art weren't enough, here's another reason to avoid Mosaic.

We get it. Unlike most around here, you don't like Mosaic. Good luck with persuading others to avoid them.