(RIP) "Paul Horn: The Story Of A Jazz Muscian"

Joe

Found on Youtube. Produced by David L. Wolper, presumably for his old BIOGRAPHY series. No date given, but most probably from 1962 or 1963; the era of the Horn Quintet with Emil Richards, Paul Moer, Victor Gaskin and Milt Turner. Some nice performance footage (Shelly's Manne Hole) and, IMO, a surprising amount of candor (references to Horn's being separated from his wife; the "business" side of things, keeping a working band together, etc.)

• 5 years later...

Found on Youtube. Produced by David L. Wolper, presumably for his old BIOGRAPHY series. No date given, but most probably from 1962 or 1963; the era of the Horn Quintet with Emil Richards, Paul Moer, Victor Gaskin and Milt Turner. Some nice performance footage (Shelly's Manne Hole) and, IMO, a surprising amount of candor (references to Horn's being separated from his wife; the "business" side of things, keeping a working band together, etc.)

I recall seeing this on network TV in the early 60s.

R.I.P. - this comes as a shock. Tjader biographer Duncan Reid had made friends with him and met him frequently over the last years, he must been a very nice man. Surely a distinguished career, from west coast to India and back ... I remember listening to his Inside albums continuously, but to the dates with Tjader or his own fabulous quintet date on HiFiJazz just as well.

Shouldn't be too much of a shock. He was 84 and lived a long and remarkable life. Rest in peace!

Even if it's not that uncommon for a 84-year old to die, it still may be a shock. To me it was, especially as Duncan Reid had told me of their meetings.

Fascinating guy, fascinating career. His autobiography, published in 1990, is worth dipping into...

41Q8vOB0bHL.jpg

And here he is in Roger Corman's, um, "classic" A BUCKET OF BLOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfB6X0SHZPY

From exploitation cinema to traveling the world in pursuit of the most exotic acoustical locations...

I did some Google searches on Horn (Wikipedia, etc.) and find it interesting that all bios gloss over his early life. All that's said is he was born in NYC. From the bios, you'd think he was born in Oberlin. I'll bet his family history is interesting...a lot of these new-age guys try to put their past behind them. Just a hunch.

"Paul Joseph Horn was born in New York City on March 17, 1930, and began studying piano at 4, clarinet at 10 and saxophone at 12. He received a bachelor’s degree from the Oberlin College Conservatory of Music in Ohio and a master’s from the Manhattan School of Music."

Yup, this is the stuff I read in every biography. I suspect there's a story there re his family.

I hasten to add that I know none of this is my business. Just curious, that's all.

Edited by mjzee

"Paul Joseph Horn was born in New York City on March 17, 1930, and began studying piano at 4, clarinet at 10 and saxophone at 12. He received a bachelor’s degree from the Oberlin College Conservatory of Music in Ohio and a master’s from the Manhattan School of Music."

Yup, this is the stuff I read in every biography. I suspect there's a story there re his family.

I hasten to add that I know none of this is my business. Just curious, that's all.

the mysterious life of Paul Horn.