Ellington 1930s big-band Mosaic

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got that 40CD set too, just as a gap-filler... but can anyone tell me, is all that Ellington recorded in these years to be found on the Mosaic set? I never went and checked session by session so far and I bet someone here knows anyway, saving me the work!

Oh, and I'll definitely grab the Ellington set! Not right now though, but hopefully sometime next year!

Is the 40 cd set really what it claims? Does it have the numbers missing from The Okeh Ellington?

I got that 40CD set too, just as a gap-filler... but can anyone tell me, is all that Ellington recorded in these years to be found on the Mosaic set? I never went and checked session by session so far and I bet someone here knows anyway, saving me the work!

Oh, and I'll definitely grab the Ellington set! Not right now though, but hopefully sometime next year!

Is the 40 cd set really what it claims? Does it have the numbers missing from The Okeh Ellington?

I've not looked closer - but I think it has what the Chronologicals have, in general. Would have to dig it up and compare with the discographies.

medjuck, I'm not deeply enough into Ellingtonia...

- the 40CD set has only master takes

- there's an OKeh session not on the 2CD set, originally released on Victor/RCA (1930-11-21)

Not sure what else all these OKeh titles not in the 2CD set would actually be... the 1930-11-21 date is on the RCA box.

Would the missing OKeh titles be alternates? Or not listed on the DEPanorama site? Sorry, but obviously I can't help...

medjuck, I'm not deeply enough into Ellingtonia...

- the 40CD set has only master takes

- there's an OKeh session not on the 2CD set, originally released on Victor/RCA (1930-11-21)

Not sure what else all these OKeh titles not in the 2CD set would actually be... the 1930-11-21 date is on the RCA box.

Would the missing OKeh titles be alternates? Or not listed on the DEPanorama site? Sorry, but obviously I can't help...

That looks like a mistake on the D.E. Panorama discog. That is a Victor session.

1932-1940 Ellington recordings not on the 2 Mosaic sets or the RCA big box.

The 13 July, 1933, London Decca session Classics 637 "Duke Ellington And His Orchestra 1933"

The 14 July, 1933, A Souvenir Of Duke Ellington recording on the same classics

The alternate takes of both sessions are on: Neatwork RP 2033 "Duke Ellington Volume 4 (1933-1936)The Alternative Takes in Chronological Order".

The complete Decca Session is also on Jazz Unlimited "The British Connexion".

April 23 1934 "My Old Flame" sung by Mae West with Duke Ellington And His Orchestra. Classics 647 "Duke Ellington And His Orchestra 1933-1935"

This was a soundtrack recording and not a commercial issue.

February 26, 1934 The two versions of Ebony Rhapsody on "The Best Of Duke Ellington 1932-1939" 4 CD set. Also soundtrack recordings and not commercial.

February 24, 1938 Duke Ellington solo "I'v got to be a rug cutter". Not a commercial recording. It is on L'Histoire Du jazz Vocal issued by Chant Du Monde.

There are many more soundtrack recordings but those were never intended for commercial issue.

About the pre 1932 Sony owned recordings:

Duke recorded a lot for labels that were then indepedent labels. Okeh, Columbia, Pathé, Plaza (with a number of labels)etc. merged in to what eventualy became Columbia.

There are in total 97 takes. 50 of them from Okeh/Columbia are on "The Okeh Ellington" The remaing 47 tracks (5 of them are Okeh/Columbia alternate takes the rest are Pathé and Plaza) have never been officialy reissued. For more details see post 88.

• 4 weeks later...

The street date for the new Ellington Mosaic is starting to look like a moving target. When they first posted this set as an upcoming release, it was supposed to be out in late November or early December. Since then, it's been moved to early December and now to mid-December. I'm not complaining (wink-wink-nod-nod) but wouldn't you think after having released a couple of hundred sets that they'd have a better idea of when something would actually be available?

The street date for the new Ellington Mosaic is starting to look like a moving target. When they first posted this set as an upcoming release, it was supposed to be out in late November or early December. Since then, it's been moved to early December and now to mid-December. I'm not complaining (wink-wink-nod-nod) but wouldn't you think after having released a couple of hundred sets that they'd have a better idea of when something would actually be available?

They're waiting for info about the delivery date from the plant.

The 13 July, 1933, London Decca session Classics 637 "Duke Ellington And His Orchestra 1933"

The alternate takes of both sessions are on: Neatwork RP 2033 "Duke Ellington Volume 4 (1933-1936)The Alternative Takes in Chronological Order".

April 23 1934 "My Old Flame" sung by Mae West with Duke Ellington And His Orchestra. Classics 647 "Duke Ellington And His Orchestra 1933-1935"

February 26, 1934 The two versions of Ebony Rhapsody on "The Best Of Duke Ellington 1932-1939" 4 CD set. Also soundtrack recordings and not commercial.

February 24, 1938 Duke Ellington solo "I'v got to be a rug cutter". Not a commercial recording. It is on L'Histoire Du jazz Vocal issued by Chant Du Monde.

There are many more soundtrack recordings but those were never intended for commercial issue.

Duke recorded a lot for labels that were then indepedent labels. Okeh, Columbia, Pathé, Plaza (with a number of labels)etc. merged in to what eventualy became Columbia.

There are in total 97 takes. 50 of them from Okeh/Columbia are on "The Okeh Ellington" The remaing 47 tracks (5 of them are Okeh/Columbia alternate takes the rest are Pathé and Plaza) have never been officialy reissued. For more details see post 88.

I've got a couple of cuts from the "Hit of the Week" label. Is this label included in your 47 missing tracks or are you just including those owned by Sony?

I've got a couple of cuts from the "Hit of the Week" label. Is this label included in your 47 missing tracks or are you just including those owned by Sony?

I think Columbia did issue that material, eventually. St. James Infirmary and Sing You Sinners, yes? I see Columbia P14302 as release numbers for them (not as Duke but as Harlem hot-something-or-other). Should be in the Mosaic, then...

No the "Hit Of The Week" recordings are not owned by Sony. They were produced by Durium. I have no idea who owns the rights to these recordings today. You can read all about this label in the 3 Archeophone releases (www.archeophone.com) "The Complete Hit Of The Week recordings" (vol. 4 still to come?).

But, did Hit Of The Week actually produce sessions, or just buy/lease some alternates and rejected takes? Lord Disco has those tracks, and indicates many issues, including the Columbia number above... Perhaps Columbia didn't put them out at the time, but had them in the vault and eventually released them on collections or such.

I think Columbia did issue that material, eventually. St. James Infirmary and Sing You Sinners, yes? I see Columbia P14302 as release numbers for them (not as Duke but as Harlem hot-something-or-other). Should be in the Mosaic, then...

Duke recorded St. James Infirmary for Plaza January 29, 1930 for Plaza as "The Ten Black Berries". He did not record Sing You Sinners for Sony.

The recording for Hit Of The Week was in March 1930 as "Harlem Hot Chocolates". St. James Infirmary and Sing You Sinners. St. James is a different recording.

I'm perplexed at the Columbia P14302 containg this track.

But even if they were recorded for Sony they are pre 1932 so they would never make the upcoming set.

You're in luck Ted, being in Canada. I got the two cuts I mentioned on a Naxos cd. Their Ellington releases are very good (though they don't claim to be complete) but I don't think they're available in the US.

Yes, I have that CD: "It Don't Mean A Thing" Classic Recordings, Vol. 2 (Naxos 8.120526) -- it was produced by a good friend, David Lennick. He credits Hit of the Week 1045/1046 as the source.

I think Mills (singer on both tracks) had the guys in the studios all the time, for lots of labels -- Brunswick, Columbia, Victor, Banner, Cameo -- and under lots of names. Hit of the Week called them Harlem Hot Chocolates. Timner's 4th edition indicates this came out also on Sterling (Stg) as by The Red Dandies.

The full list of "The 47" (in short)

September 1925, Pathé

1. I'm gonna Hang Around My Sugar

2. Trombone Blues

March 1926, Pathé

3. Georgia Grind

4. Parlor Social Stomp

November 3, 1927 OkeH

5. Black and Tan Fantasy (take C)

March 1928 Pathé/Cameo

6. East St. Louis Toodle-O (2944-A)

7. East St. Louis Toodle-O (108079-1)

8. Jubilee Stomp (108080-1)

9. Jubilee Stomp (2945-B)

10. Take It Easy (108081-1)

11. Take It Easy (2946-B)

October 1928 Pathé

12. The Mooche (take 1)

13. The Mooche (take 2)

14. Hot And Bothered

15. Move Over

November/December 1928 Pathé

16. Hottentot

17. Misty Mornin'

December 1928 Cameo

18. Hit Me In the Nose Blues

19. It's All Coming Home to You

March 1929 Cameo

20. Saratoga Swing

21. Who Said It's Thight Like That

22. He Just Don't Appeal To Me

September 10, 1929 Cameo

23. Doin' The Voom Voom

24. Flamin' Youth

25. Saturday Night Function

January 29, 1930 Plaza

26. St. James Infirmary (take 1)

27. St. James Infirmary (take 2)

28. St. James Infirmary (take 3)

29. When You're Smiling (take 2)

30. When You're Smiling (take 3)

31. Rent Party Blues (take 1)

32. Rent Party Blues (take 2)

33. Rent party Blues (take 3)

34. Jungle Blues (take 1)

35. Jungle Blues (take 2)

April 3, 1930 OkeH

36. The Mooche (take 3)

37. East St. Louis Toodle-O (take 2)

June 12, 1930 OkeH

38. Sweet Mama (take 1)

39. Double Check Stomp (take 1) This one has never been reissued.

January 10, 1931 Plaza

40. Them There Eyes (take 1)

41. Them There Eyes (take 2)

42. Them There Eyes (take 3)

43. Rocking Chair (take 1)

44. Rocking Chair (take 2)

45. Rocking Chair (take 3) This one has never been reissued.

46. Rocking Chair (take 4)

47. I'm So In Love With You

These are the tracks wich with the 50 on "The Okeh Ellington" add up to the 97 wich would make a very nice 4 CD set.

All info from The New Desor.

Edited by Stompy Jones

I'm confused.

I too have the 2 'Hit of the week' titles on the Naxos CD but shouldn't they be included in the list of 47 above?

They are from March 1930, and the Mosaic is: DUKE ELLINGTON: THE COMPLETE 1932-1940 BRUNSWICK, COLUMBIA AND MASTER RECORDINGS.

Whether those titles are, or are not, Columbia masters, they're too early.

I'm confused.

I too have the 2 'Hit of the week' titles on the Naxos CD but shouldn't they be included in the list of 47 above?

They are from March 1930, and the Mosaic is: DUKE ELLINGTON: THE COMPLETE 1932-1940 BRUNSWICK, COLUMBIA AND MASTER RECORDINGS.

Whether those titles are, or are not, Columbia masters, they're too early.

I am aware of that, all of the titles in that list of 47 are before 1932.

So is the difference that those 47 are available to Columbia but the Hit of the Week 2 are not?

Edited by Steve Gray