Ellington 1930s big-band Mosaic

Seem like I can't get my point across... ;)

Of course most of the material has been available in several forms (and Brunswick/Columbia reissues aren't that rare either), but this would make completeness even more important. So to take just one example of one particular period:

If I wanted to listen, say, to Ellington's recordings of, say, 1931 to 1935 (not THAT unimportant a period in the Duke's recordings, I think), then there simply will be quite a bit missing if the RCA recordings are not included in the CHRONOLOGICAL run. Or to put it even more bluntly, in the interest of the integrity of the recorded opus - if you can't include the RCA recordings in the run, why bother at all? Wouldn't this reduce the reissue project to a mere "Select"? ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see your point, and I, too, think it would be nice to listen to everything the Duke and his men recorded in a studio in chronological order, but ... I think Michael Cuscuna's plan is a different one. When the Centennial neared, RCA made and executed plans to make the RCA box, which Orrin Keepnews produced, and I'm sure Cuscuna suggested the same to Columbia, but they somehow missed the point of no return and then wouldn't take the risk - another box set already in the making and theirs definitely even bigger .... so all Cuscuna did issue for the centennial wer the Capitol and Reprise box sets and some single CDs. Now that Columbia practically backed out of their Legacy jazz reissue program they continue that with the Mosaic Singles reissues. They wan't to fill the gaps, not do the entire job all over again, which would be a daunting task, although both tape vaults are at their disposal.

Edited by mikeweil

Yes, of course I see your point too and it is valid and not doubt you are right but the bottom line to me then is (CD fetishism and fractional sound improvements aside) that no real and overwhelming compilation progress has therefore been made ever since those CBS 2-LPs sets with the Brunswick/Columbia material and those LP (singles and box sets) series by French RCA were released.

No wonder shady moonlighter labels jump on the bandwagon (apparently not in this case but elsewhere quite often) if the majors can't get their COORDINATED act together. :D

• 10 months later...

Now that we know about two new releases (the Jamal & the Threadgill)... Does anyone have an update about this one?? Should we still expect this set this year??? 10CDs?

What albums would be on it? thanks... (and I assume all of this stuff is currently OOP??? Right?)

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Now that we know about two new releases (the Jamal & the Threadgill)... Does anyone have an update about this one?? Should we still expect this set this year??? 10CDs?

What albums would be on it? thanks... (and I assume all of this stuff is currently OOP??? Right?)

Late 2010 at the earliest, but probably later. Haven't heard from them lately.

There were no LP albums in the 1930s, just 78s.

Tranemonk probably meant reissue albums. It should have all the material from the two classic old Ellington Era 3-lp boxes which are still sitting on my shelf as well as innumerable European reissues over the years. Wish we'd see it sooner rather than later!

gregmo

Tranemonk probably meant reissue albums. It should have all the material from the two classic old Ellington Era 3-lp boxes which are still sitting on my shelf as well as innumerable European reissues over the years. Wish we'd see it sooner rather than later!

gregmo

If I remember correctly the Ellington Era 3LP-boxes also included recordings from the 1920s. Those will not be included in the upcoming Mosaic.

The Ellington set will have Ivie Anderson vocals

This is a big relief--I was afraid they might go the way of Helen Forrest w/Shaw and Goodman, in order to scale back the size of the set. (And unlike the Forrest sides, I don't think the Ivie tracks are readily available elsewhere...the two Hep CDs have gone OOP, although you can buy the tracks as mp3s.)

gregmo

If I remember correctly the Ellington Era 3LP-boxes also included recordings from the 1920s. Those will not be included in the upcoming Mosaic.

You're right. My bad. The Mosaic will be devoted to the 1930s Brunswicks and, presumably, any big band stuff for subsidiary labels.

gregmo

• 4 weeks later...

I saw Scott last weekend at an annual jazz record bash in New Jersey. I think he said that the set would be 11 CDs and that they're shooting for a release this December. He also said that vocal sides would be included.

Fan ****ing tastic.... :tup :tup

At least now I know what to ask for come Xmas!!!!

Bump. Scott Wenzel emailed to say they hope to make this set their Christmas release. Oh yeah.

gregmo

Very nice.. (Guess I should hold onto that Birthday Mosaic Gift Card too..)

So let's see at the current prices that set should run about $187.. (not as bad as I was afraid).. I thought it was gonna hit the $200 range..

Here's my question... Although I know I'll be getting this. How much (and what CD titles) does this replicate what's currently in print? In other words, what CDs should we either avoid/get rid off/donate to the library to avoid replication???

thanks

I saw Scott last weekend at an annual jazz record bash in New Jersey. I think he said that the set would be 11 CDs and that they're shooting for a release this December. He also said that vocal sides would be included.

Fan ****ing tastic.... :tup :tup

At least now I know what to ask for come Xmas!!!!

Bump. Scott Wenzel emailed to say they hope to make this set their Christmas release. Oh yeah.

gregmo

Here's my question... Although I know I'll be getting this. How much (and what CD titles) does this replicate what's currently in print? In other words, what CDs should we either avoid/get rid off/donate to the library to avoid replication???

As mentioned a few times earlier in this thread the set will cover the 1932-1939 Brunswick (and sublabels) recordings that are now owned by Sony, so don't get any Columbia/Sony CDs with that stuff. Since you're getting the set anyway, you could hold on to any CDs you already have with some of those recordings until you've got the set and then compare them.

gregmo

Great news--can't wait for the holidays!

Tranemonk, one set I can think of right away that is most likely replicated by the forthcoming Mosaic is the old 2-CD BRAGGIN' IN BRASS collection. Even then, I'd hold onto everything until you actually have the Mosaic in hand and can compare. (I sometimes hold onto my old single or double-disc compilations anyway, especially if they have decent liner notes... but I do end up trading in some for credit at the local record store or else give them away to friends.)

You know the Reprise set is still available in a odd longbox format.. That's how I got it...

http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Ellington-Reprise-Studio-Recordings/dp/B00002MZ33

Wish I kept my Capitol and Reprise Mosaics- would like to obtain them again.

Most (if not all) of the Reprise material ia available also in this format:

41D7Jpi2CUL._SS400_.jpg

You know the Reprise set is still available in a odd longbox format.. That's how I got it...

41D7Jpi2CUL._SS400_.jpg

Not all by far! If memory serves me right, the Reprise Ellington is one with very full discs, almost two albums per disc. But these Original Album Series sets are pretty nice to sample some new music, even more so as they can be found very cheap!

41D7Jpi2CUL._SS400_.jpg

Not all by far! If memory serves me right, the Reprise Ellington is one with very full discs, almost two albums per disc. But these Original Album Series sets are pretty nice to sample some new music, even more so as they can be found very cheap!

Yeah, it doesn't include "Afro-Bossa," "The Symphonic Ellington," "Concert in the Virgin Islands," "Recollections of the Big Band Era" (a second volume of the sessions from "Will the Big Bands Ever Come Back?") or the music from "Duke Ellington's Greatest Hits." Plus all the alternate takes. The Mosaic is still well worth having.

gregmo

Thanks for the news. 11 cd´s including the vocal tracks - a dream to come true. :)

Wish there was a new Duke Mosaic every year. But what can we expect AFTER this one? What could be the next logical era waiting for a Mosaic treatment? The Complete Columbia & Mercer studio recordings? :tup