Clifford Brown remasters?

wesbed

I’ve been on bit of a Clifford Brown high the last few days. I’ve known about Clifford Brown for a while but seem to have just now really ‘discovered’ the man. I have all the Brownie RVGs. I purchased the Clifford Brown & Max Roach remaster and thought it to be an incredible set of tunes.

I’m eyeing the Clifford Brown & Max Roach At Basin Street set. It would appear the At Basin Street CD has been remastered? Is this true?

Any other Brownie recommendations? I’m looking preferably at those that have been remastered recently. I have Blakey’s Night At Birdland.

Have you thought about the Pacific Jazz remasterings done by Rudy last year or 2001. They're essential. There is also the complete Brownie on EmArcy. However, that dates from 1989 and I know some of those dates from that box have been reissued in Japan such as the All Star Live Jam Session with Dinah Washington.

There's also some cds from Fantasy that he made when in France under the titles "Clifford Brown Sextet in Paris" and "Clifford Brown Quartet in Paris". There's also Vogue releases, the Complete Paris Sessions (3 volumes) which are good and I think recorded around the same time. I believe he was with Hamp in Paris at the time.

Have you thought about the Pacific Jazz remasterings done by Rudy last year or 2001. They're essential. There is also the complete Brownie on EmArcy.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the Pacific Jazz titles. I'll look them up. Do you know of the specific wording (the title) of the the Pacific Jazz Rudy remasters? :huh:

The Prestige CDs were dropped from their catalog a few years ago. I guess the lease ran out or something. The three Vogue CDs are better anyway - they include more takes, and unedited takes (i.e., "No Start, No End" which runs 2:15 on most issues, but 11:47 on the Vogue CD). If you get those three, and the one alternately known as "Street Scenes" or "Gigi Gryce/Lucky Thompson In Paris" then you've got almost all of the 1953 Paris studio sessions by Hampton band members. However, there are a few things that were only ever issued on an extremely rare Japanese Vogue LP - but it's strictly for completists (and discographers). No Brown on it, just Gigi.

Mike

The Vogue CDs are out of print. You may still find volumes one and two around (my store has them, but not for much longer) but I think volume three is pretty rare.

I'd snag 'em (I love Brownie's stuff) but all those damn alternates! I have quite a bit of Brownie, anyway, so I think I'll just be happy with what I have.

Oh, and "At Basin Street" was recently reissued as a VME. The old edition is still floating around, but don't be thrown...there is a new one with lots of extras and terriffic sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Brownie's Complete Blue Note & Pacific Jazz Recordings (4 CDs, I think this is a reissue of the Mosaic set) for $15.99 is as good of a reason as any to join the BMG Jazz CD club. Shipping and "handling" to the tune of about $6-8 or so would probably be included.

Working a BMG membership for the best deals and prices is confusing and difficult, a definite time sink, but it can be worthwhile...

Speaking of BMG, I just joined and pillaged them for the following:

Art Blakey--Live At Birdland 1&2

Wayne Shorter--Juju & Speak No Evil

Horace Silver--Jody Grind & Blowin' The Blues Away

Herbie Hancock--Empyrean Isles

Miles Davis--Walkin'

Stanley Turrentine & The 3 Sounds--2cd

Stan Getz & The Cool Sounds

Dizzy Gillespie with Stitt & Rollins

Shirley Scott--Talkin' Verve Compilation

:rsmile:

• 3 years later...

However, there are a few things that were only ever issued on an extremely rare Japanese Vogue LP — but it's strictly for completists (and discographers). No Brown on it, just Gigi.

Lo and behold, that Vogue 10" LP made its way onto compact disc in 1999! It's a Japanese mini-LP (BVCJ 37027), containing the track, sans Brownie, entitled "Le Rose Noire." A nice one!

Let's see if I can attach a picture of the cover ...

I've been trying to locate BVCJ 3730. Hiroshi couldn't find it for me, and I thought I'd ask here for any possible leads ...

By the way, while the three volumes (Vogue/BMG digipacks) of Brownie's 1953 Paris recordings are technically out-of-print, CDUniverse has all of them — in stock — currently for $9.59 each. A heads-up, so somebody here can snag them!

One of the first LP sets I bought back in the 70s was an English Vogue 3LP sleeve set of Clifford Brown's Complete Paris recordings. Mind-blowingly, astonishingly wonderful. Starts off with 'Brown Skins' and doesn't look back. Still one of my very favourite vinyl releases and it cost £3.50 I think !

Mind-blowingly, astonishingly wonderful.

I'm in full agreement with you there — and I wouldn't say that your description is an overstatement! I've always had a soft spot for Brownie's Paris recordings. In fact, I happen to like them quite a bit more than his polished work for EmArcy. Brownie's playing on "I Can Dream, Can't I?" — it's one of the few times where I actually want to listen to the master take immediately followed by the alternate takes ... on repeat! To my ears, it's rawer Clifford Brown, while still beautiful and (yes) innocent.

This is such important music (I'm thinking of 1953 Paris recordings) — it should really be honored by at least a Mosaic Select. Strange that these recordings were originally released by Vogue, then licensed by Blue Note, then licensed by Prestige, and now are under the BMG umbrella ... and still don't have a permanent home in the U.S. market!

• 10 months later...

Mind-blowingly, astonishingly wonderful.

This is such important music (I'm thinking of 1953 Paris recordings) — it should really be honored by at least a Mosaic Select. Strange that these recordings were originally released by Vogue, then licensed by Blue Note, then licensed by Prestige, and now are under the BMG umbrella ... and still don't have a permanent home in the U.S. market!

Late brings up a good point. It seems to me that fairly rare Clifford Brown sessions released by Blue Note in their 10" 5000 series would be PRIMO reissue fodder. I'm glad to at least have these recordings on the Proper Box Clifford Brown overview called Joy Spring.

Don’t let the ’89 release date of the complete EmArcy Brownie box put you off, wesbed. It’s worth every penny and sounds very good despite the time of release.

I'll second that! Very nice Japanese edition and good sound too :D

/Shaft

Scanning the thread, I don't think anyone answered: Yes, Basin Street has been remastered, and then Verve stopped with the Master Editions of Brown & Roach, sadly.

Don't forget to buy the Blakey at Birdland Vol 1 & 2 discs. Essential brownie. It's all on the BN/PJ set, it's just a matter of whether or not you want the RVGs. And the BN/PJ set is at Yourmusic.com for $23.96 postpaid, which should be a bit less than the BMG final price.

Don't forget to buy the Blakey at Birdland Vol 1 & 2 discs. Essential brownie. It's all on the BN/PJ set, it's just a matter of whether or not you want the RVGs.

I had both for a while and solid the "Complete" set - the Birdland RVG discs sound MUCH better.

Don't forget to buy the Blakey at Birdland Vol 1 & 2 discs. Essential brownie. It's all on the BN/PJ set, it's just a matter of whether or not you want the RVGs.

I had both for a while and solid the "Complete" set - the Birdland RVG discs sound MUCH better.

That's what I did too, for what it's worth.

That's what I did too, for what it's worth.

So did I. The Birdlands, the JJ Johnson CD, the Blue Note Memorial, and the Pacific Jazz, all RVG's, and you have everything on the box set. Nice artwork and book on the box set, and it's slightly cheaper than the five individual CD's, but the sound difference on some of the RVG stuff and the retrospective notes and additional photography more than make up the difference.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a Universal Japan reissue of "Clifford Brown and Max Roach Inc." (UCCU-9279), that I found for only 11€ in a german store (it's a budget reissue, 1000 Yen in Japan).

Compared to the late 80's US CD reissue (AFAIK this album has never been remastered domestically), the japan CD has 3 bonus tracks (2 alternates and a brief "Sweet Clifford" extract), and the sound is much clearer.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/...=lk_organissimo

Edited by Claude