How About a Mobley 60's Box Set

Moko

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe instead of a complete '60's box, BN could create a 4-CD "Retrospective" (similar to the Grant Green and Horace Silver boxes), or at least a 2-CD "Classic BN Recordings" package (similar to the Dexter Gordon release...was there also a Wayne Shorter?). I was so impressed by the selection on the Dex that I almost bought it, even though I have everything on it.

oihnly if its in MONO

why are the mono tapes just rotting there-- just rotting

According to Steve Hoffman, there are no real Blue Note mono master tapes from the 60's, i.e. tapes that use a different mix than the stereo recording. For the mono LP pressings, they made a single channel fold-down of the stereo tapes.

If that's correct, using mono tapes for reissues makes no sense. since it would sound the same as playing back the stereo release in mono on your equipment at home.

Edited by Claude

Growing up when I did, in the age of "electronically rechanneled for stereo", the mono button was all the proof I needed that 1+1 could=1. There was salvation to be had there.

Hell. if you were getting an FM stereo reception from afar with shaky reception, flipping the mono switch on would sometimes bring it on home.

The absence of such a device on most modern amps/etc sucks if you have any media in need of it.

I caved in an ordered a copy of "A Slice Of the Top"... with BN folding down their reissue activities (or so it looks to me at least) I guess it wasn't a bad move and it was still around for less than 20$ last week. But I will likely just store it away somewhere so that the day when I hear my final new Mobley album won't take place too soon yet :)

Got the CD a couple of days ago and just listened to it again - hadn't heard the album in years and forgot how good it is. I don't even mind the (pretty subdued) tuba, an instrument I really hate :)

Growing up when I did, in the age of "electronically rechanneled for stereo", the mono button was all the proof I needed that 1+1 could=1. There was salvation to be had there.

That didn't quite work, you'd never get rid of the manipulation of the low and high frequencies that was applied to create the fake stereo. Using the mono button for fake stereo albums always produced a kind of out-of-phase sound on my various 1960s systems; I don't know how exactly to describe it, but it didn't sound right and certainly not better than the awful "electronically rechanneled stereo" sound.

Edited by J.A.W.

99% certain that the guy who directed my high school big band (he was also a regular music teacher... and he was perfectly competent at both ) had never heard of Mobley when i mentioned the name...

The saxist I play with - a great guy and player and teacher - knows Mobley, but I don't think he has one of his records. Simply too much music out there, the curriculum focusses on other players, and his personal models are other players with an edgier sound. On tenor, he favors Brecker for his sound, like most of his generation.

my teacher's favorites were doldinger and bob mintzer iirc... :)(for my saxophone teacher on the other hand, the basics of learning to play tenor were hank mobley and dexter gordon ... took me a few years to realize that he was quite remarkable (non-mainstream in a good way) in that respect)

The guy at my highschool knew Mobley (he copied the "Messages" Prestige vinyl twofer for me, with that track missing on the CD). He also knew Lester Young (and copied me some cheapo 2LP set as well).

So, that's nice... so far...

BUT: the guy (who sounded like a mixture of... I don't know how to describe it... Sanborn and Candy Dulfer, not to say Gorelick...) only made these tape dubs because I told him how cool I found Hawkins... and Stanley Turrentine, who's "Sugar" we played (and where I had the tenor solo spot and usually sort of freaked out... wild youth, ya know...).

And he *hated* (probably still does) Hawkins and that whole school of tenors...

I still don't like the Brecker, Mintzer etc. Coltrane clone guys to this day, and I bet having known this funny guy has helped quite a bit in shaping that dislike...