It's almost here: 100th birthday of Lester Young

mmilovan

It's a pitty they missed such opportunity to issue this one:

http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0605/young.html

Yes. Since this is the US Government (Library of Congress), why can't they just release a disc themselves, perhaps through the Smithsonian? That would be a beautiful way to celebrate Pres' 100th birthday.

They could at least send a copy of it to my house.

Yes. Since this is the US Government (Library of Congress), why can't they just release a disc themselves, perhaps through the Smithsonian? That would be a beautiful way to celebrate Pres' 100th birthday.

Again, wall of neglection for one of the most importat musician in whole history of jazz.

holy crap, just had a long list typed up... Miles and Duke were leading off (150 and 130 I think), then Coltrane, Mingus, Monk, Oscar Peterson, and a few others in the 40-60 category, and too many to even remember a third of them in the 40, 30, 20 and 15 categories, but including: Lionel Hampton, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Horace Silver, Jimmy Smith, Hank Mobley, Artie Shaw, Woody Shaw, Randy Weston, Art Ensemble, Cecil Taylor, Art Tatum, Django, Benny Goodman, Stan Kenton, Woody Herman, and many others... that sucks, having culled together these names for half an hour and then all's gone :(

king ubum,

What are you talking about?

hm, that should have been posted here:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=54279

not sure what exactly happened, first I lost my fast reply then it ends up in a wrong thread... :crazy:

anyway, since this is a Lester Young thread I would have ended up posting something of little importance here anyway, sooner or later...

Can the US of A be sued for not releasing this 1940 recording? It should be declared cultural world heritage and distributed freely to all households all over the world. I'm sure the world would be a better place! Ya know, it might actually bring some of those terrorists to senses, just as Dizzy initiated the perestroika when he visited Greece with his big band in 1957... or some such :)

But I'd (almost) kill to hear that recording, that's for sure!

This sounds like a job for Uptown Records.

here is a repost from an old post of me in the lester young corner:

in july 2007 i contacted larry appelbaum from the loc in washington and asked him about plans to release the lester young sides. here is his answer:

" Hello Marcel,

I'm not aware of any plans to issue the Lester Young jam session materials.

Any record label can do so as long as they get permission of the rights

holders. So far I've not been contacted by any label and no one has come

down to listen to the discs.

Larry"

and in a second mail he gave this information:

"There's only about 15-20 mins of Lester, along with other items from the jam

session (like Sammy Price trio performances).

i would think this might be bonus material for a Lester Young reissue.

Larry"

that is both sad and surprise news for me.

because i thought that there is a market for a legend like lester young and

that this recordings go very quickly on cd (like the monk/coltrane one). but

that´s not the fact. so we have to make propaganda and find a label who is

willing to release this historical recordings.

keep boppin´

marcel

Probably 10 years ago, at board dedicated to Greatest Day in Harlem photo, one of Young's relatives (grand daughter) told me that she was in possession of tape recorded in Newport, with Lester playing and singing! Probably this source still exists.

and there is still the information that sonny rollins has a tape of himself playing with charlie parker and lester young circa 1953. also, columbia records once announced a six-minute track by parker with young singing, of unknown date, but this was never issued. ca. 1954. information via the lester young discography "lestorian notes" by piet koster and harm mobach, micrography, amsterdam 1998.

keep boppin´

marcel

and there is still the information that sonny rollins has a tape of himself playing with charlie parker and lester young circa 1953. also, columbia records once announced a six-minute track by parker with young singing, of unknown date, but this was never issued. ca. 1954. information via the lester young discography "lestorian notes" by piet koster and harm mobach, micrography, amsterdam 1998.

Yes, I still know where I first read notes about such exotic material - it was book titled "Lester Young" by Lewis Porter (issued around 1985. or so).

wow, they really should release that bit of Pres. For me, before Trane at least, Lester was the biggest influence on everyone. Such a sound and conception. Even in his final period like the Basie @ Newport record, he still sounds great.

Edited by CJ Shearn